ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Osborne’s Excuses for Scott Frost

Osborne is no longer relative to anything regarding Nebraska sports.

It would be nice if the media stopped sticking a microphone in front of the old man.

And it would be nice if people stopped thinking he walks on water.

He had his time, now go away.
the-dude-abide.gif

Reactions: Meanfarmer3160
I don’t get the fascination with TO outside what he was best known for. He was a great head coach. He understood how to run a program and did it for a long time, very successfully. He was innovative and willing to try new things. I suspect he still understands the game quite well.

That doesn’t mean he is: a great AD, a great politician, a great anything else. Just because you are good at one thing doesn’t mean you are good at everything.

It's way past time for Diplomacy, would be nice if TO called out the obvious.
TO would never do that, never has. If you and others feel he should stay out of it, then why do you need him to step in and call SF out. TO is only making statements when asked to which will never be derogatory. Not his style.
I'm sure TO would be more than happy to stay out of it, the thing is, everyone keeps dragging him back into it.

TO would never do that, never has. If you and others feel he should stay out of it, then why do you need him to step in and call SF out. TO is only making statements when asked to which will never be derogatory. Not his style.
I'm sure TO would be more than happy to stay out of it, the thing is, everyone keeps dragging him back into it.
Point taken

Reactions: wkato
Why all the hate on TO? He’s one of the nicest and good people you will ever meet. You don’t think TO knew this was a sinking ship with Frost et al? I’m pretty sure he is confident Trev will do whatever it takes. If there was one thing I didn’t always agree with about TO (but completely respected), is that he was loyal to a fault (see Frank Solich). I think he was merely building a bridge with this coaching staff, Frost, and Chins in a difficult time for the program. Big deal. GBR.

Reactions: dinglefritz
How did this unappreciative lazy drunk make it 4+ years in the fish bowl? Lots of high placed enablers need tarred and feathered.
Seems all of these guys have got a serious weakness or blind spot that cost them the job.

Callahan was a worker, but stubborn about addressing the defense.

Pelini had anger issues and would not commit to recruiting

Riley was just along for the ride. He was basically like the caretaker at a graveyard. He knew he wasn't going to last and could then move on to the next thing. His demeanor allowed him to not make any enemies so he leaves unscathed.

Frost was arrogant and unwilling to put in the work required. He insanely kept doing the same things even though they weren't working for years.

Solich was probably in the toughest position. He followed the legend, so he was destined to not carry the mantle. Who could? We gave him a short rope. In hindsight, it was unfair.

Seems all of these guys have got a serious weakness or blind spot that cost them the job.

Riley was just along for the ride. He was basically like the caretaker at a graveyard. He knew he wasn't going to last and could then move on to the next thing. His demeanor allowed him to not make any enemies so he leaves unscathed.

Frost was arrogant and unwilling to put in the work required. He insanely kept doing the same things even though they weren't working for years.

Solich was probably in the toughest position. He followed the legend, so he was destined to not carry the mantle. Who could? We gave him a short rope. In hindsight, it was unfair.
Totally spot on about Riley, dude is just a really nice regular guy that somehow escaped the peter principle while also exemplifying it.

Very well said sir. Very good insight.

What Osborne said the other day about Frost isn’t aging well:

"He had a lot of things going for him in Central Florida and then maybe he didn’t have the best talent when he got here, and then the pandemic, he probably had more bad bounces than good bounces, but he’s a good coach and a good person.”

More bad bounces than good bounces???Frost’s 5th year team was done for the year by mid SEPTEMBER! What in the hell did Frost do with his time here besides count his money?

People can crap on the Urban Meyer’s dreams all they want, but he seems like the only person out there with the coaching and recruiting talent to turn this around.

This is the worst team in our history. I’d say bring on basketball except our basketball team will suck too.
Let me offer another angle; nobody has to agree, but just consider ...
When Solich was let go, TO was out-of-his-mind pissed off. Go back to his comments at the time -- they were strong and critical. To a lesser extent, you could tell by his comments that he disagreed with Bo's dismissal too.

When I read these comments regarding Frost, they strike me as pretty tame in comparison. It is noteworthy to me that he never even suggests that Frost should have been retained. TO threw him a little bit of a bone with the "bounces" and "good person" comments but, really, what do you expect him to say about the QB who led his team to a national title?

My take on these comments is that TO knew Frost had to be fired. Notice that TO does not take issue with Trev and offers no alternative by which Frost could have been retained. TO knew it was time. He found something nice to say about Frost on his way out. It's what TO DIDN'T say that I find revealing.

When Solich was let go, TO was out-of-his-mind pissed off. Go back to his comments at the time -- they were strong and critical. To a lesser extent, you could tell by his comments that he disagreed with Bo's dismissal too.

When I read these comments regarding Frost, they strike me as pretty tame in comparison. It is noteworthy to me that he never even suggests that Frost should have been retained. TO threw him a little bit of a bone with the "bounces" and "good person" comments but, really, what do you expect him to say about the QB who led his team to a national title?

My take on these comments is that TO knew Frost had to be fired. Notice that TO does not take issue with Trev and offers no alternative by which Frost could have been retained. TO knew it was time. He found something nice to say about Frost on his way out. It's what TO DIDN'T say that I find revealing.
Trev is also a former Husker. So to be critical of this firing would also be critical of another former Husker player that is still going to be here.

Good point I hadn't thought about. One of the techniques back in the day of navigating Os-speak was what he didn't say.

I know very few details of the hiring of HCFS even though I was a very early lurker here during his tenure. I think we could if had Mack Brown.

Nothing wrong with that sir. Nothing wrong at all.
That's kind of the fun part of it. As we consider future coaches, we're projecting what it is about them we think will be successful or why they might fail and then have favorites accordingly. What matters? Who can win and sustain winning at a high level? It's largely a guessing game. Frost was the only guy that was almost unanimously approved of prior to taking the job. He had very few detractors. The rest of them, we had doubts.

from the sounds of it, it doesn't sound like Frost is a good person. Doesn't mean he can't get there, but if 1/2 of the stuff floating around is accurate, he's got a fair amount of issues to get cleaned up.

This thread makes me wonder how many have actually ever had a conversation with TO? 🤣🤣🤣

One thing they all had in common was hiring poor assistant coaches.

I know very few details of the hiring of HCFS even though I was a very early lurker here during his tenure. I think we could if had Mack Brown.
I have a couple thoughts about Pelini. He really wanted the job in 2007 and was a top coaching target among coordinators. He got the job, which most people myself included, were fairly happy about. I did feel Callahan could have been retained and there were more positives to consider in that era (like the recruiting) than were being given credence to, but it was wha it was.
First couple years, Pelini was really good at turning the defense around. At least it appeared that way. I don't think we can ever overestimate Ndamukong Suh's impact on that defense. He was just that good. Ganz and others were also very solid players. Pelini had a lot to work with.
By 2010 I recall there being rumors that Pelini floated his name for the Miami job. Osborne got wind of it and it was shut down. That may all be rumors but if you google it you'll probably find some of this. I think Pelini was also starting to conclude that Nebraska wasn't exactly where he wanted to be and wanted a better recruiting bed and a place to be more of an Xs and Os guy. He wasn't a Nebraska guy and this was supposed to be his chance to move up, but that opportunity didn't come at OSU or Miami or elsewhere.
Each succeeding year Nebraska under Pelini we got a grouchier coach. He won games against teams that were less talented but was also beaten badly when he went up against a Bielema, etc. By the time 2014 came around he was just not getting the recruits and the program needed a change. Most fans could see that but the old guard refused to agree because it was an indictment on their judgement eve though Pelini was never a Nebraska guy.

ADVERTISEMENT