ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Lemming

CatColumbia

All-American
Apr 19, 2014
One day in Lincoln, the next day in Orlando
Was in the Omaha area and interviewed some of our best players in the area. Why doesn’t Devon Jackson and Deshawn Woods mention that they are interested in Nebraska? Are these two looking to get the hell out of Nebraska? And why has Omaha been so difficult for us to recruit? It’s not like we’re competing against anyone else in state.

• Wow
Reactions: hedonistimpulse
I know nothing (well documented) but I can assume just having been around hundreds of young people in the past.

Lots of great programs out there who are winning, going to bowls, and putting players in the league. They shine at Lincoln is not currently there. So, what does it boil down to for some of these kids? Is the in-state pull going to override other factors? I don't know.

Look at it this way, when you read the bios of all coaches, they make it sound like each one is highly successful in recruiting and developing talent. They had these all-league kids, sent this many to the pros, etc. Some resumes need to built up would be my take or these guys just want to get out of the state and explore the rest of the world.

Reactions: CatColumbia
Haven't heard a single person in Lincoln talk about Nebraska football this fall...not a single conversation, nobody is sad, or misses it. The last 12 years have been brutal...the insanity of Pelini embarrassed us on a national stage, split the fan base, and then the antidote Riley was brought in to settle things down but instead he relied on mercenary recruiting and only brought the worst years in NU history, following by unprecedented attrition under Frost and more losing. We have been so bad in big games over the last decade and a half that fans would rather tailgate outside than watch us get fleeced by Ohio State. If I had a son who played football and lived in Lincoln, and he had offers from power 5 schools...I would look at the precedent of winning+draft+internal culture and push him away from nebraska.

Haven't heard a single person in Lincoln talk about Nebraska football this fall...not a single conversation, nobody is sad, or misses it. The last 12 years have been brutal...the insanity of Pelini embarrassed us on a national stage, split the fan base, and then the antidote Riley was brought in to settle things down but instead he relied on mercenary recruiting and only brought the worst years in NU history, following by unprecedented attrition under Frost and more losing. We have been so bad in big games over the last decade and a half that fans would rather tailgate outside than watch us get fleeced by Ohio State. If I had a son who played football and lived in Lincoln, and he had offers from power 5 schools...I would look at the precedent of winning+draft+internal culture and push him away from nebraska.
Ok..... I’m outside of the state and talk NU football with all my friends in Lincoln and all over. There is plenty of enthusiasm for the season.

I call 100% BS on the notion that no one in Lincoln is sad or missing NU football. 100% BS.
Yeah weird that during a pandemic there haven’t been as many face to face conversations about Husker football
I barely see people in my office, however, the season ticket holder the handful of times I’ve seen him this year we’ve had multiple conversations about NU football
It’s part of the fabric of this state
When the last schedule came out and opener announced for OSU I had text messages lighting up my phone
Sounds like Orc needs some better friends

I can guarantee you the average fan doesn't care at all about the "unprecedented attrition" under Frost.

Let’s get back on the main point of this thread, why are top athletes from the Omaha area going elsewhere and not even considering us? Are the coaches in that area pissed at our program? It just baffles me how these two dudes don’t even mention us.

Let’s get back on the main point of this thread, why are top athletes from the Omaha area going elsewhere and not even considering us? Are the coaches in that area pissed at our program? It just baffles me how these two dudes don’t even mention us.

Well, Jackson had a dad that played at Illinois, so there really isn't anything that ties him to Nebraska other than he lives in Omaha. I don't know nothin about Wood, but all of the schools that these two listed have had a much better track record than Nebraska since they have been in high school and have been involved in their recruiting process.

Orclover being Orclover...

Thebone recruit’s father played at Illinois... so not a native Nebraskan? Don’t know about the other...

Reactions: dinglefritz
It's like OP is not even trying. You never get them all. No one does.

Sure, but we’ve missed on a few as well recently. Not just one or two.. and our current staff is trying hard.
We used to land almost everyone, even in the Bo era. Just trying to find the main reason why this is. In the past it was sacrilegious to leave the state.

Reactions: bshirt73
Sure, but we’ve missed on a few as well recently. Not just one or two.. and our current staff is trying hard.
We used to land almost everyone, even in the Bo era. Just trying to find the main reason why this is. In the past it was sacrilegious to leave the state.
So we missed on Xavier Watts and maybe the Westside kid but that's not over. Who else? Are you thinking basketball?

Reactions: headcard
So we missed on Xavier Watts and maybe the Westside kid but that's not over. Who else? Are you thinking basketball?
Clesters son.. all these in the past two years and our staff is trying. Look, this isn’t a wee wee measuring contest so enough with the name listing. I want to know why this is happening, not who. Got it bro?

Reactions: dinglefritz
Clesters son.. all these in the past two years and our staff is trying. Look, this isn’t a wee wee measuring contest so enough with the name listing. I want to know why this is happening, not who. Got it bro?
I want to know who we have missed on, k "bro"? I say Xavier Watts and maybe the Westside kid. Who else, "bro"? In the last three years, from Nebraska or local, we have Fidone, Prochaska, Carnie, Rollins, Bretz, Betts, Gifford, Hickman, Heinrich, Piper, Nelson Snodgrass. Under Bo, we sucked a$$ recruiting locally and nationally. I think Frost has done a solid job of locking up local talent, not everyone, but he's tried. I still think you are thinking of basketball...or maybe just being a douche.

I want to know who we have missed on, k "bro"? I say Xavier Watts and maybe the Westside kid. Who else, "bro"? In the last three years, from Nebraska or local, we have Fidone, Prochaska, Carnie, Rollins, Bretz, Betts, Gifford, Hickman, Heinrich, Piper, Nelson Snodgrass. Under Bo, we sucked a$$ recruiting locally and nationally. I think Frost has done a solid job of locking up local talent, not everyone, but he's tried. I still think you are thinking of basketball...or maybe just being a douche.

I did answer your question. I said Clesters kid along with the other guys you mentioned. And I’m talking about the Omaha area, which I made it clear when I posted this thread. Guess your doucheness is getting in the way of your reading comprehension skills. Keep studying in your parents’ basement and come back to me when you know why some the big time guys in Omaha aren’t even considering us.

Know a guy on Burke staff and he claims he hasn't heard anything official, but he doesn't think Jackson stays in state

Was in the Omaha area and interviewed some of our best players in the area. Why doesn’t Devon Jackson and Deshawn Woods mention that they are interested in Nebraska? Are these two looking to get the hell out of Nebraska? And why has Omaha been so difficult for us to recruit? It’s not like we’re competing against anyone else in state.

What makes you think they are not interested in Nebraska?

You hang out with total dorks.

Last I heard on Woods is that he has a great relationship with Greg Austin and is a Nebraska lean. He's reportedly a great kid, very loyal (as evidenced by his decision to stay at Central) and that NU likes him as a smart, physically dominant interior lineman. I think he commits to NU.

As for Jackson, I think he's more like Avante Dickerson. Good player with very favorable ratings who wants to go out of state.

What makes you think they are not interested in Nebraska?

I was surprised to hear them list several schools and not Nebraska. I’m more surprised about Woods, because I thought he had a good relationship with Austin. As for Jackson, like someone mentioned, his father played at Illinois so I guess he didn’t grow up with any ties to Nebraska. If Jackson is a future Butkus candidate (per Lemming), I would hate to see him go anywhere else. Specially due to our lackluster LB play in the past several years.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Another thing this should tell us is how difficult it is to pull kids from other states. There are loyalties and other factors and when we see it in Nebraska kids we are surprised.

Reactions: CatColumbia
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT