ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Herman

leodisflowers

Assistant Head Coach
Feb 25, 2011
North Carolina
Could be an interesting candidate. Has a bunch of things going for him:

1. Wasn't as bad at Texas as people think and can handle the fishbowl that is NU and has the Power 5 experience
2. OC on National Title Team
3. 13-1 @ lower school
4. Seems to recruit well
5. Seems to be a grinder. Has been in the profession awhile
6. Seems to be a winner

With that said, let's shred him now!

1. Wasn't as bad at Texas as people think and can handle the fishbowl that is NU and has the Power 5 experience
3. 13-1 @ lower school
4. Seems to recruit well
6. Seems to be a winner

Somebody already shredded him for his personal life….

3. 13-1 @ lower school
4. Seems to recruit well
6. Seems to be a winner

Thanks Hopper

Reactions: 3fingershomer
Ah. I'm in North Carolina, so don't tune in. Actually saw it on Reddit and thought it was a good point.
Just go to 590 am Omaha and you can listen live. The ads when you first tune in are annoying but it’s a great way to pass time while you’re working.

1620 just spent 15 minutes talking about Herman on the Hopper show.
I couldn’t wait all day for him telling us who he thinks it’s going to be and we would hate it..

So his pick is Tom Herman?

Very odd he would choose him when he hasn’t even been mean anywhere…

Reactions: WHCSC
Does Herman have the same buy out clause where his buy out is reduced by the amount paid from a new employer?

Herman has been mentioned a lot in the Colorado search. I think that would be an excellent hire for them, fwiw.
I've seen this too. Herman could do alot better than CU - their path forward seems very challenging. Boulder acts like it doesn't even like the college being there anymore let alone wanting to support a football program.

Last edited:
I've seen this too. Herman could do alot better than CU - their path forward seems very challenging. Boulder acts like it doesn't even even like the college being there anymore let alone wanting to support a football program.

CU should have hired Troy Calhoun a long time ago and just run the triple option. The University is never going to give the football program the resources it needs to compete in modern-day college football. If they're going to succeed, they're going to have to do it by being unique.

Reactions: Minn1954
Herman was better than Sark. He left a loaded, good team when canned. Brian Harsin is a name I think makes sense for CU. From that area. Deion to Auburn. Sir Charles says so.

USATSI_18150368.jpg

Herman would be in my top 3 along with Kiffin and Meyer
Early on I was an advocate for Herman. OC/QB coach for OSU winning National Title.

HC for 2 years at U of Houston (22-4).

3 years at Texas going (32-18), including 4-0 in bowl games going 3-0 against top 11 ranked teams in bowl games. Overall record as HC (54-22), 71%.

3 years prior to Herman arriving at Univ. of Texas they were (16-21) and only (46-42) over a 7-year span.

UT felt it was best to let Herman go in favor of Sarkisian who has produced an (11-11) record.

Last edited:
Early on I was an advocate for Herman. OC/QB coach for OSU winning National Title.

3 years at Texas going (32-18), including 4-0 in bowl games going 3-0 against top 11 ranked teams in bowl games. Overall record as HC (54-22), 71%.

3 years prior to Herman arriving at Univ. of Texas they were (16-21) and only (46-42) over a 7-year span.

UT felt it was best to let Herman go in favor of Sarkisian who has produced an (11-11) record.
Some programs are incompetent because they let good coaches go early. That would apply to Texas and Florida. Some are incompetent because they keep bad coaches around too long. That would apply to us and Colorado and Kansas. I'd much rather be in that former group, though I'd rather be in neither group.

By comparison, Sark is 11-11 at Texas.

Herman didn't suck-up to UT's big boosters. That was one of his major issues in Austin. And to be fair, his personality is a bit squirrelly.

3. 13-1 @ lower school
4. Seems to recruit well
6. Seems to be a winner

Tom Herman would be a home run hire if we could bring him in as an offensive coordinator. He did a fantastic job at Iowa State and, if I recall correctly, Urban Meyer noticed and brought him on as his OC at Ohio State. He must be doing a decent job with the Bears too if you follow how the Bears offense has been revived from the dead.

As a head coach, he wouldn't be a wow hire. But again, the key will be what kind of staff he is able to put together. Herman would run the ball, mix in some option. Moving the ball on offense has never been a problem.

He’s currently not working at all.
In my opinion, Herman is waaaayy too good of an OC and even HC to not be working, unless it's by his choice. Colorado is a dead-end job for anybody.

Any OC has to have some talent to work with, but along with the Rileys, Days, Kiffin's, Sark, yes, even Scott Frost, Herman fits in well with many of the better play callers in college football.

I would take him as an OC/QB coach and even think he has proven he can be a very good HC, at both the G5 and the P5 levels.

Unlike Sark and Frost, Herman has shown he can make that transition from OC to HC and have success.

Big deal, he went to or goes to a strip club. That's between him and his wife.

Having said that, there are 2-3 others I would gladly accept before Herman.

But, NU could do a lot worse than him.

Reactions: WHCSC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT