ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Herman

RedMyMind

Assistant Head Coach
Aug 22, 2017
Was there as much hype and publicity around Tom Herman when he took the Texas job as there currently is around Scott?

Obviously we pay attention to our own teams more; I just don't remember Tom Herman getting this much accolades.

There was a lot of hiring interest in Herman with several schools wanting him. I'd say from that perspective Herman was about as hot as a most wanted hire in the last cycle as Frost was in this cycle. BUT Frost has more end of the season "heat" in the news and with recruits due to his undefeated UCF season, his coaching awards, the underdog victory against Auburn AND the special distinction of his offensive scheme. Of course, it's all a matter of opinion and who you ask.

I would say the hype surrounding Tom Herman was just as strong early in the 2016 season because of them going 13-1 the previous year and then after they beat Oklahoma the first game of the season. That may have faded slightly later in the season when they lost a couple of games, but the fact that everybody was sure he was headed to Texas kept the hype up because the media is always interested in hyping up whoever is coaching at Texas.

Part of what kept the hype on Scott Frost up was nobody was sure where he was going. I think we benefited even more because hardly anybody in the national media thought he was headed to Nebraska before the week before the AAC Championship. And then the fact that he won the AAC Championship and stuck around to coach them to a win over Auburn in the Peach Bowl made it even bigger.

Live in Austin, work at UT. The answer is emphatically no.

Longhorn fans wanted a big name hire, after Strong flamed out so badly. The fact that they had to settle for yet another shooting star mid-major coach disappointed many of them. The fact that UT barely squeaked out an in-state 4th Tier bowl in his first season didn't help boost confidence in him.

Longhorn fans wanted a big name hire, after Strong flamed out so badly. The fact that they had to settle for yet another shooting star mid-major coach disappointed many of them. The fact that UT barely squeaked out an in-state 4th Tier bowl in his first season didn't help boost confidence in him.
Who did those fans think they were going to get?

I think, if what you're typing is true, then the outside perception of this situation is a complete 180 from the up close perception. From the outside looking in, they got the hottest candidate that could have had the LSU or any other job, so what you're typing seems strange. Herman almost got Houston into the Big 12 for cryin out loud...so like somebody else already asked...who were they hoping for?

Reactions: saluno22
YFpZNd4.png

Was there as much hype and publicity around Tom Herman when he took the Texas job as there currently is around Scott?

Obviously we pay attention to our own teams more; I just don't remember Tom Herman getting this much accolades.
Yes, probably moreso.

Saban, Meyer or Belichick I assume.

Yup. They had a legitimate shot at Saban before Strong was hired, but meddling "boosters of substance" let the news get out, and Saban angrily ended talks.

Texas is Texas. Their athletic department pulls in $187 million in revenue each year. They could afford to pay a head coach anything they liked. They're the ultimate dumb rich kid. And the thing about being the dumbest, richest kid on the block, means you don't settle for a Mustang GT when you could get a Nissan GT-R (or insert other elite sports car as you like, being rich means never having to justify your wants).

Herman was another flash-in-the-pan mid-major coach, and just like Charlie Strong, there's no guarantee that will translate to success on the big-boy stage. Just look at Strong. Just look at Herman's first season. No Horn fans I know are saying he was a home-run hire.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT