ADVERTISEMENT

Todd McShay to Draft Prospects: Play in the Fall, Don't Play in the Spring

Last I heard, Todd McShay isn't in any NFL office, nor is in charge of any NFL team looking to draft players this coming Spring.

As they say, opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one.

Reactions: phoenix4nu
Last I heard, Todd McShay isn't in any NFL office, nor is in charge of any NFL team looking to draft players this coming Spring.

last I checked, former GMs and NFL offices across the country value the work of draft experts now more than ever:

"Building an algorithm of all the mocks … allows teams to know and understand which players are considered in the top 100, top 200 and top 300," wrote long-time NFL front office executive Michael Lombardi

why? because they're right more often than not, and they influence not 1 team, but all 32. McShay's opinion is a lot different than yours or mine.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2020/value-mock-drafts

last I checked, former GMs and NFL offices across the country value the work of draft experts now more than ever:

"Building an algorithm of all the mocks … allows teams to know and understand which players are considered in the top 100, top 200 and top 300," wrote long-time NFL front office executive Michael Lombardi

why? because they're right more often than not, and they influence not 1 team, but all 32. McShay's opinion is a lot different than yours or mine.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2020/value-mock-drafts

My opinion is always better than everybody else. It is mine. I own it, and nobody else can.

I have mad respect for McShay and Kiper that have built careers on their opinion, and hard work, for inside information regarding the NFL draft.

In the end, they miss as much as anybody. KC traded up to get Patrick Mahomes, and they thought it was crazy. 10th pick in the draft looks like an absolute steal nowadays.

Reactions: WHCSC
My opinion is always better than everybody else. It is mine. I own it, and nobody else can.

I have mad respect for McShay and Kiper that have built careers on their opinion, and hard work, for inside information regarding the NFL draft.

In the end, they miss as much as anybody. KC traded up to get Patrick Mahomes, and they thought it was crazy. 10th pick in the draft looks like an absolute steal nowadays.
I suggest you read that article instead of getting defensive. good, hard facts in there.

when it comes to opinions on projecting NFL talent, yours and mine are trash, McShay's are read by GMs and literally used to inform their draft boards.

Reactions: StoneTempleHusker
Playing in the spring is insanity for anyone who intends to play either college or pro football in the fall.
agree.. the spring thing isn't even realistic.. the B1G can't say they cancelled the season, so they have to create this fairytale play in January narrative..

no athlete entering the draft should consider 'playing in January, or the spring'.. it would not only be counterproductive, but why would you risk injury so close to draft day?

Why would you want something that’s bad for your team and conference just to spite someone?
NU is collateral damage. I want to watch college football during college football season.

it sucks, bad, that we're caught on the wrong side of the fence. I hate all the B1G teams, so I don't care for nor would I ever root for the conference anyway.

I don't get why people assume dragging other leagues down with the B1G would somehow be good or neutral for NU. I think if the others play and we're the only ones who were outspoken from the beginning about wanting to play, that's better for NU than everyone just cancelling.

NU is collateral damage. I want to watch college football during college football season.

it sucks, bad, that we're caught on the wrong side of the fence. I hate all the B1G teams, so I don't care for nor would I ever root for the conference anyway.

I don't get why people assume dragging other leagues down with the B1G would somehow be good or neutral for NU. I think if the others play and we're the only ones who were outspoken from the beginning about wanting to play, that's better for NU than everyone just cancelling.

The best outcome short of playing this fall is for everyone else to cancel either before or shortly after they start. At least then we could say I told you so. Wanting good players to leave your team makes zero sense.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Sounds like you might be better off finding another team to root for
ha I'm just saying I'm really not too worried about our guys. I believe Coach Frost is getting the kind of dudes who want to be at NU and, perhaps more importantly, who want to play for him.

I do think a mass departure of big-name or fringe prospects from B1G teams would cause quite a bit of disruption. I don't think we have many (any?) of those types today, save for a handful of unproven underclassmen.

Reactions: WHCSC and NikkiSixx

You don't have to like Todd McShane, but his opinion is spot on here.

ha I'm just saying I'm really not too worried about our guys. I believe Coach Frost is getting the kind of dudes who want to be at NU and, perhaps more importantly, who want to play for him.

I do think a mass departure of big-name or fringe prospects from B1G teams would cause quite a bit of disruption. I don't think we have many (any?) of those types today, save for a handful of unproven underclassmen.

I'm all for other B1G teams top guys transfering Smokin

If you're not projected in the top 3-4 rounds and you don't play in the spring (more like winter?) then I think you might want to look into an accounting career. You're not much of a competitive football player. A lot of this "I'm not gonna play, boo hoo" is whiny fan talk. At the end of the day a few top end players will sit out, most everyone else will get ready to play.

Not to mention what if’s- what if prospect tears knee in February- can’t get rehab in time for nfl season/combine so your screwed, lose nfl paycheck season

If you're not projected in the top 3-4 rounds and you don't play in the spring (more like winter?) then I think you might want to look into an accounting career. You're not much of a competitive football player. A lot of this "I'm not gonna play, boo hoo" is whiny fan talk. At the end of the day a few top end players will sit out, most everyone else will get ready to play.
it's beyond ironic you say they should shift to accounting when all they'd be doing is looking out for their own bottom lines

it's beyond ironic you say they should shift to accounting when all they'd be doing is looking out for their own bottom lines
I know you just like to argue with everyone on every single point, but you get the point. If you think the guys projected in approx 5th round and lower will be best served by sitting out then you're entitled to your opinion.

It’s not about competitiveness, it’s about safety and common sense. Football is unlike any other sport in terms of the physical toll it takes on your body and the recovery required to perform not only at a high level but to avoid physical vulnerabilities that make you more susceptible to injuries. These are unpaid students that you expect to play 20+ games in a calendar year? Not to mention the additional lifting, practices, meetings, etc. It’s nonsensical and if the justification for postponing fall is safety you can’t go forward with a spring schedule. I’m not saying the players won’t want to play, I’m sure tons of them will want to, but they shouldn’t.

I know you just like to argue with everyone on every single point, but you get the point. If you think the guys projected in approx 5th round and lower will be best served by sitting out then you're entitled to your opinion.
opting out of otherwise meaningless games to participate in training/activity meant to improve draft stock isn't exactly sitting out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT