ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Nebraska fan..

ru4nu2win

All-American
May 2, 2006
After attending the game today I noticed that the younger crowd is totally fine with where we are at. They seem to be there more for the atmosphere than for the actual game. I then realized that the younger generation doesn't actually remember us being good. It really bothered me to see people leaving the stadium smiling in defeat like it's no big deal. Worse game day experience of my life and I'm in my forties. That bothered me more than anything.

After attending the game today I noticed that the younger crowd is totally fine with where we are at. They seem to be there more for the atmosphere than for the actual game. I then realized that the younger generation doesn't actually remember us being good. It really bothered me to see people leaving the stadium smiling in defeat like it's no big deal. Worse game day experience of my life and I'm in my forties. That bothered me more than anything.
Just imagine how happy they would have been had Nebraska pulled out a win!:)

Yeah and nothing is going to change until our administration hires the right coach to ride the ship. I don't even get upset like I used to. Handing out 16 blackshirts before the players even have to earn it in an actual game taught me all I needed to know about where we are with our program.

There were a lot of people that came to the game today because somebody gave them a ticket. I doubt some of them are as heavily invested in a win as some of this board. I've smiled and laughed today after the loss. Of course I was 300 miles from Lincoln. We lost in a bad way but the sun will come up again tomorrow and we'll give it another shot next weekend. IF the same crap keeps happening things will get fixed one way or another. Life's too short to come unglued over a game. I lived through repeated whippings by OU after getting my hopes up every year for a conference title only to have my guts ripped out at the end of the season. Some of us have perspective.

There were a lot of people that came to the game today because somebody gave them a ticket. I doubt some of them are as heavily invested in a win as some of this board. I've smiled and laughed today after the loss. Of course I was 300 miles from Lincoln. We lost in a bad way but the sun will come up again tomorrow and we'll give it another shot next weekend. IF the same crap keeps happening things will get fixed one way or another. Life's too short to come unglued over a game. I lived through repeated whippings by OU after getting my hopes up every year for a conference title only to have my guts ripped out at the end of the season. Some of us have perspective.

Ya. Losing to OU in the final game of the year that determines the conf champion and often much more Is quite a bit different than losing a tough one at home to NIU.

Like it or not this university's identity is pretty much the football program .. It is dead last academically in the conference as well as basketball.

Last edited:
People don't care today. Instead of watching the game they're busy stuffing their fat faces or playing with their phone.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
People don't care today. Instead of watching the game they're busy stuffing their fat faces or playing with their phone.

But SE needs to remember that the 20-somethings who do not care will be 30-somethings who will decide that they do not need new merchandise this year and the 40-somethings who will decide that they are too far removed from college to care any longer to buy tickets and the 50-somethings who decide that they don't want to pony up the donations to remain relevant. They are living off of not only the legacy of 20 years ago but the donations which those who remember make. It is hard to care so much about something that you feel is not giving you a good return on your investment.

But SE needs to remember that the 20-somethings who do not care will be 30-somethings who will decide that they do not need new merchandise this year and the 40-somethings who will decide that they are too far removed from college to care any longer to buy tickets and the 50-somethings who decide that they don't want to pony up the donations to remain relevant. They are living off of not only the legacy of 20 years ago but the donations which those who remember make. It is hard to care so much about something that you feel is not giving you a good return on your investment.
Nailed it!

Ya. Losing to OU in the final game of the year that determines the conf champion and often much more Is quite a bit different than losing a tough one at home to NIU.

Like it or not this university's identity is pretty much the football program .. It is dead last academically in the conference as well as basketball.

I would gladly go back to the days of losing to OU every year but still being ranked in the top 20 and playing in a good bowl game to what is happening now.

It was actually more painful then to lose to OU than what is happening now because Nebraska was sometimes in the hunt for a possible national championship and there was a lot at stake with regards to what bowl we would end up going to. Now we are looking at not even playing in a bowl game depending on how the rest of the season plays out.

I know two people who couldn't even give away their tickets this week, let alone sell them.
That isn't anything new. The sellout is fiction. Always has been. Corporate sponsors have been buying up tickets and giving them away for years and lots of them went unused. When NU was #2 and KSU was #7 I stood outside the stadium trying to sell row 16 seats until after kickoff. Ate them both. Nothing new. Gave away my tickets this weekend not because I didn't want to go but couldn't. I would LOVE to go next weekend but can't. We'll give them away again likely.

Reactions: HuskerO
I will tell you what I noticed today regarding the crowd. The best seats in the house on the west sideline right below the skyboxes were almost half filled until the end of the first quarter. They filled in and then were half full before the fourth quarter began. That whole section looked like Dodger Stadium. Arrive late and go home early to avoid traffic. I was in the cheap seats and my cousin and I were about the only ones making a lot of noise it seemed. It just seemed most of the time, everyone around us just didn't care. I guess that is what you get when you are getting outplayed by Directional State U in your own stadium.

Reactions: samuel
Fans have every reason to lower their expectations and not get too emotionally involved in husker games. Its not worth the stress. This talent level on this squad is abysmal. This a wildly ordinary program right now.

I would gladly go back to the days of losing to OU every year but still being ranked in the top 20 and playing in a good bowl game to what is happening now.

It was actually more painful then to lose to OU than what is happening now because Nebraska was sometimes in the hunt for a possible national championship and there was a lot at stake with regards to what bowl we would end up going to. Now we are looking at not even playing in a bowl game depending on how the rest of the season plays out.
exactly.

I'm in my mid twenties. I've never seen Nebraska look much different than they have the past 3 years. Personally, I get it. It's a game, obviously we take pride in the team as Nebraskans but once TO and Boyd Eppley left. It became a different day in Huskerland. I just want to compete for a B1G Championship every few years. That shouldn't be too much to ask.

I'm in my mid twenties. I've never seen Nebraska look much different than they have the past 3 years. Personally, I get it. It's a game, obviously we take pride in the team as Nebraskans but once TO and Boyd Eppley left. It became a different day in Huskerland. I just want to compete for a B1G Championship every few years. That shouldn't be too much to ask.
Well you forgot once they started testing for PEDs and limited scholarships. Tom built a heckuva program but even he kept mentioning how tough it was getting to win with the scholarship limits. EVERYBODY has some talent now. Back then some of those schools couldn't field a starting lineup with kids that would even get an offer from NU let alone play for us. Times have changed and that's not an excuse for today. It's amazing how Bama has been able to get the talent they have gotten but even they have lost some games they shouldn't have with that talent.

Reactions: StrongArm517
Today's younger Nebraska fans are living in a transition lifetime. The coaching staffs are installing a new history. Things will seem better when we get a new history in place.

Maybe 40 year olds shouldn't live their lives on the backs of 18-22 year old kids. Losses are going to happen. Bad losses especially but learn to put it in a different light. The college football landscape has change and parity in football is the norm. Nebraska football was great in the 80s and 90s. Nebraska fans need to realize that Nebraska football was great at one time but those days may never come back. You don't have to like it but there are more important things in life then Nebraska football and Iowa football...just a fact!

Last edited:
Well you forgot once they started testing for PEDs and limited scholarships. Tom built a heckuva program but even he kept mentioning how tough it was getting to win with the scholarship limits. EVERYBODY has some talent now. Back then some of those schools couldn't field a starting lineup with kids that would even get an offer from NU let alone play for us. Times have changed and that's not an excuse for today. It's amazing how Bama has been able to get the talent they have gotten but even they have lost some games they shouldn't have with that talent.
Lol I actually was going to talk about both of those issues but I edited them out of my post. Boyd was and still remains a genius when it comes to "vitamins" and Tom had a scholarship cannon which is one of the reasons he could take chances on guys like a Kyle Emmanuel or Danny Woodhead. Both Nebraskans that are in the League that our head coaches couldn't find scholarships for.

Maybe 40 year olds shouldn't live their lives on the backs of 18-22 year old kids. Losses are going to happen. Bad losses especially but learn to put it in a different light. The college football landscape has change and parity in football is the norm. Nebraska football was great in the 80s and 90s. Nebraska fans need to realize that Nebraska football was great at one time but those days may never come back. You don't have to like it but there are more important things in life then Nebraska football...just a fact!

Iowa sucks.

Lol I actually was going to talk about both of those issues but I edited them out of my post. Boyd was and still remains a genius when it comes to "vitamins" and Tom had a scholarship cannon which is one of the reasons he could take chances on guys like a Kyle Emmanuel or Danny Woodhead. Both Nebraskans that are in the League that our head coaches couldn't find scholarships for.
Yep...no one else took vitamins or gave a lot of schollys.
Funny we even had walk ons.
Yep, chalk it all up to cheatin.

Reactions: Morgan747
That may be true but we won today...;)
I guess Hawkeye King must play linebacker for Iowa. He and his teammates won today. Iowa has the luxury of talking trash and making Nebraska fans eat crap today. They only have known good and bad teams. They have never been at the top and known great teams. I used to get really upset when the Huskers lost ANY game because I was raised watching them lose 1-2 games every year in the eighties. They improved on that crazy standard and started going entire seasons without losses in the 90's. That is why I would be really depressed when they used to lose a game. Now we lose to Western Tech State and I just shrug and think of days past. Iowa doesn't even have that luxury. They once went to the Orange Bowl when they had a really good season. I think they lost.

Reactions: Morgan747
I guess Hawkeye King must play linebacker for Iowa. He and his teammates won today. Iowa has the luxury of talking trash and making Nebraska fans eat crap today. They only have known good and bad teams. They have never been at the top and known great teams. I used to get really upset when the Huskers lost ANY game because I was raised watching them lose 1-2 games every year in the eighties. They improved on that crazy standard and started going entire seasons without losses in the 90's. That is why I would be really depressed when they used to lose a game. Now we lose to Western Tech State and I just shrug and think of days past. Iowa doesn't even have that luxury. They once went to the Orange Bowl when they had a really good season. I think they lost.

Nope, they won the 2010 orange bowl

Sometimes you just have to evaluate where you are as a program.

Yeah and nothing is going to change until our administration hires the right coach to ride the ship. I don't even get upset like I used to. Handing out 16 blackshirts before the players even have to earn it in an actual game taught me all I needed to know about where we are with our program.
When did Osborne and Co hand out the blackshirts?

Get used to it...

Nope, they won the 2010 orange bowl
They probably remember that season well. It was really good I guess. They have scoreboard the last few years. I wonder if they will make a decade of dominance video of their empty trophy case like K-State back in the 90's. I guess they both have scoreboard today though. K-State would probably kill us today.

Yep...no one else took vitamins or gave a lot of schollys.
Funny we even had walk ons.
Yep, chalk it all up to cheatin.
Never said no one else took them, learn to read pal. I said Boyd was and still remains a genius when it comes to PED use. Back in the day we could give 50 scholarships a year and take players away from smaller programs like ISU, KSU, Kansas, Wyoming, NDSU, Mizzou, CSU et cetera, so it didn't matter when that hot shot from Miami was a bust because you had guys from Omaha and Kansas City right behind him that today are going to other programs. Today you only have have 85 total and so there is a lot more parity in college football.

ADVERTISEMENT