ADVERTISEMENT

To beat Iowa (and Wisconsin) Huskers need to develop the lines

Alum-Ni

Administrator
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2004
Nothing earth shattering, i know.

Huskers proved they can move the ball on Iowa, consistently and efficiently. What killed Nebraska was that long first half where Iowa held the ball for the majority of it, limiting Husker possessions. Great job by Iowa to control the clock. Nebraska just couldn't generate pressure on Stanley and couldn't stop the running game.

A bit mind boggling from Ferentz and Co. why they abandoned that game plan in the second half. But if the Huskers can get stronger more consistent line play, and some quality depth, that will really propel this team forward.

Said most Iowa fans walking out of the stadium. Amazed they had even won. When they could have won by two scores minimum.

Iowa was out coached today.
All the fans should have picked run play for 8 yards on the play select screen then.

I hate when people say crap like this after a game. Its NOT a video game. You just dont keep calling play X Y and Z and win by 28.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Iowa over thinking it a little bit, however, like the last guy said, you still have to mix it up a little.

Once the momentum switched it is really hard to get it back. A potential 20 point win turns into dog fight real quick... credit Nebraska for hanging tough.

Frost’s comments after the game were once again succinct and honest. He’s right that NU needs to get stronger up front on both sides of the ball.

I’d love to be a fly on the wall when Frost is talking honestly about the job Riley did at Nebraska. Maybe the job Riley did on Nebraska is a better way to put it.

Huskers proved they can move the ball on Iowa, consistently and efficiently. What killed Nebraska was that long first half where Iowa held the ball for the majority of it, limiting Husker possessions. Great job by Iowa to control the clock. Nebraska just couldn't generate pressure on Stanley and couldn't stop the running game.

A bit mind boggling from Ferentz and Co. why they abandoned that game plan in the second half. But if the Huskers can get stronger more consistent line play, and some quality depth, that will really propel this team forward.

tenor.gif

Reactions: tyrusraymondcobb
Frost’s comments after the game were once again succinct and honest. He’s right that NU needs to get stronger up front on both sides of the ball.

I’d love to be a fly on the wall when Frost is talking honestly about the job Riley did at Nebraska. Maybe the job Riley did on Nebraska is a better way to put it.
He would be disgusted with the work ethic...as were some of us. However, when the ‘mental health days’, ‘little lifting’ observations were shared some of us got lambasted. That said, some of our best and most talented players were dropped in Scott’s lap

We all know that . Some choose to except in while others ignore it . Then there are guys like me that just get amnesia or short term memory during the game.

Reactions: jeans15

It’s taken me a year to except that during that time( 3 years ) Riley was here it just bought more time for SF to develop a staff and put in an offense system that going to be very fun and lethal in the future...

Getting Perlman and Eichorst out of football program was the best thing that could and had to happen...

Iowa over thinking it a little bit, however, like the last guy said, you still have to mix it up a little.

Once the momentum switched it is really hard to get it back. A potential 20 point win turns into dog fight real quick... credit Nebraska for hanging tough.

This. It's not as easy as just handing the ball off every play. Iowa got the lead by successfully throwing the ball on running downs occasionally to keep Nebraska from just throwing 9 bodies at the line of scrimmage. Once momentum turned for Nebraska in the second half they capitalized (credit to them).

Hopefully this game decides the West division crown next year. Would make the stakes much different.

Reactions: rrthusker
It’s taken me a year to except that during that time( 3 years ) Riley was here it just bought more time for SF to develop a staff and put in an offense system that going to be very fun and lethal in the future...

Getting Perlman and Eichorst out of football program was the best thing that could and had to happen...

I think of it this way, it took Riley & Co. 3 years to convert NU into Oregon State. It might take that long to turn it back :).

Yes. Over the long term I think Wisconsin and Iowa are the most important divisional games.

Like Harbaugh, Frost needs to win those games going forward. Harbaugh also started 0-2 in his rival games and took a lot of heat for being 1-5 heading into year 4

After those years at Oregon, Frost knows Riley. Enough said!

I've said this before, by the end of the 2020 season, we'll all have a real good idea where this program is headed. The last two games were good indicators that progress is being made. Nebraska stood toe to toe with teams that were very physical and damn near won them both. Imagine what things will be like when players are together for two, three years, building a cohesive team that will keep getting better as time goes on.

Yesterday was a downer to be sure, but when it looked like it was going to get ugly, Nebraska was able to pull things together and give themselves a chance to win. For those players coming back next year, a season like 2018 can give them a lot of resolve, I have no doubt we'll see a better version in 2019.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
All the fans should have picked run play for 8 yards on the play select screen then.

I hate when people say crap like this after a game. Its NOT a video game. You just dont keep calling play X Y and Z and win by 28.
I think the game looks and feels completely different if Iowa doesn't run a fake FG inside the NU 5 when a FG would have made it a 3-score game. Then Iowa could just grind it out the rest of the way.

Same with Michigan State last week. Why throw it so much in those conditions with a lead when NU hasn't shown much ability to move up and down the field? Shorten the game and walk out with a win.

Are our practices getting closer to the blood baths that Iowa's are?

Reactions: TFrazier

Football is complicated but sometimes it isn't. They had MAJOR mismatches on the oline all day...the main issue was their qb couldn't throw accurately past 10 yards. Eventually we moved our safeties in the box and all of sudden we could stop some of their runs...Iowa can be stopped if you stop them on first down. The fact we gave up 31 to a team with an anemic qb is sad. That is why Frost made the remarks about our dline and oline being pushed around. With a top athlete at qb and rb we nearly won that game and had 400 yards of offense. They were better than us at 16 positions but our advantage at QB and HC that it became a game.

Football is complicated but sometimes it isn't. They had MAJOR mismatches on the oline all day...the main issue was their qb couldn't throw accurately past 10 yards. Eventually we moved our safeties in the box and all of sudden we could stop some of their runs...Iowa can be stopped if you stop them on first down. The fact we gave up 31 to a team with an anemic qb is sad. That is why Frost made the remarks about our dline and oline being pushed around. With a top athlete at qb and rb we nearly won that game and had 400 yards of offense. They were better than us at 16 positions but our advantage at QB and HC that it became a game.
That's one way of looking at it. Its frustrating to get beat by a Iowa team that nobody can even name a receiver on their team. We should have never fallen so far that we get owned on our lines. Sad in fact.

The quote from Urban Meyers," you win in the trenches". Make no mistake, that's it, be stronger and don't let the opposition
move your butt off the line, period. GBR

Said most Iowa fans walking out of the stadium. Amazed they had even won. When they could have won by two scores minimum.

Iowa was out coached today.

I think you forgot about the interception by Iowa in the fourth quarter while the Huskers were driving down the field. it was a lucky win for Iowa. Yards Iowa 419 Nebraska 400. I wonder what would have happened if Nebraska had gotten the ball again.

I think the game looks and feels completely different if Iowa doesn't run a fake FG inside the NU 5 when a FG would have made it a 3-score game. Then Iowa could just grind it out the rest of the way.

Same with Michigan State last week. Why throw it so much in those conditions with a lead when NU hasn't shown much ability to move up and down the field? Shorten the game and walk out with a win.
Frost said as much when talking about the fake punt. He did what he did to flip the script in the game. Risky, gutsy, desperate, and absolutely the right roll of the dice. If peeps could quit the trash talking they might realize how enjoyable of a game this was

Reactions: saluno22
That's one way of looking at it. Its frustrating to get beat by a Iowa team that nobody can even name a receiver on their team. We should have never fallen so far that we get owned on our lines. Sad in fact.
Sophomore Brandon Smith proved to be a good and vastly improving WR for them. He’ll push for all conf honors and catch many balls if he can stay healthy over the next 2 years. But, this would require giving Iowa a bit of credit which is counter to the talking points established here

Well if you have Bo Jackson in tecmo bowl....

Reactions: TFrazier
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT