ADVERTISEMENT

To all the people who keep bringing up Pelini…

B1G RED RULES

First Team All-Big Ten
Sep 7, 2013
I am not completely sold on Riley and have a lot of questions about him at this point, but good God, the last thing I want back is that asshat Pelini. Check out how we performed in our own house against non conference UCLA when Bo had all of his own recruits and his system running for years. The best thing this university did was cut ties with that toxic specimen. Time will tell if we hired the right guy.

If you want to keep puking up bile on this board, start with a detailed explanation of Bo's performance when UCLA last visited and the superior job he and his staff did.

I am not completely sold on Riley and have a lot of questions about him at this point, but good God, the last thing I want back is that asshat Pelini. Check out how we performed in our own house against non conference UCLA when Bo had all of his own recruits and his system running for years. The best thing this university did was cut ties with that toxic specimen. Time will tell if we hired the right guy.

If you want to keep puking up bile on this board, start with a detailed explanation of Bo's performance when UCLA last visited and the superior job he and his staff did.

Don`t throw that UCLA game at them. How can they possibly respond? :D

Why are we mentioning Bo at all? Does anybody think Riley looks better by trying to find ways that Bo Pelini was worse? Does pointing to UCLA...Wisconsin...or any other Bo loss make Riley's coaching yesterday more superb? The whole, "At least he ain't Bo Pelini" line is a bit confusing...

Yes, the best thing we did was fire Pelini. But the worst thing we did was hire a .500 coach to replace him and be told this is the guy who is going to get us over the hump. This guy is going to win us the games were supposed to win, and compete and win the games that matter.

Well we were clearly the better team yesterday. We had more talent, more speed, bigger plays ect. Yet we completely imploded and fell apart and gave up a last second Hail Mary. Nothing has changed from Bo to Riley. They both lost a game they should have won. Only Riley doesn't throw a fit. Big fricking deal.

No matter what the sunshine pumpers say, Riley was brought in to win. He lost.

I guess
Well we were clearly the better team yesterday. We had more talent, more speed, bigger plays ect.

Uh they out rushed Nebraska, out passed Nebraska, made their field goals, committed less turnovers, and less penalties, and they were the road team. We were not clearly the better team. If we were clearly the better team, it would not have come down to the final fluke play.

If you believe that, then McNeese State in 2014 and Wyoming in 2013 were clearly better than Nebraska.

Well we were clearly the better team yesterday. We had more talent, more speed, bigger plays ect.

No we were pretty evenly matched to be honest. If you put BYU's QB and WR core on our team we would have rolled. We had a better D overall, and obviously special teams they were way better. Our offensive played the best I have seen them considering all the missing players but we need more talent and to improve over the season.

I also think it is kinda crap that the average age on BYU's team was probably 28 years old. I kept laughing when they kept mentioning the backup "freshman" QB and he is 22 years old. They were just as talented and there is a huge strength gain from 18-22 years of age. They looked just as talented as us at this point.

I watched part of Alabama game and they look like an NFL team as usual, unbelievable how big those guys are compared to most other teams.

Yes, the best thing we did was fire Pelini. But the worst thing we did was hire a .500 coach to replace him and be told this is the guy who is going to get us over the hump. This guy is going to win us the games were supposed to win, and compete and win the games that matter.

Well we were clearly the better team yesterday. We had more talent, more speed, bigger plays ect. Yet we completely imploded and fell apart and gave up a last second Hail Mary. Nothing has changed from Bo to Riley. They both lost a game they should have won. Only Riley doesn't throw a fit. Big fricking deal.

No matter what the sunshine pumpers say, Riley was brought in to win. He lost.
You people who make a knee jerk reaction, snap judgement after one game make me laugh

This is basically how I feel. I was strongly in favor of firing Pelini. I was ambivalent at best about hiring Riley. I hope Riley gets things rolling. But the whole "Riley is a breath of fresh air because he didn't scream and get red in the face" argument is going to get old. If that's all we wanted, we could've hired just about anyone.

Anti-Riley = Pro-Bo on this board. Actually, not even anti-Riley. Just anti-sunshine-pumping-Riley = Pro-Bo. Our OL play the last couple years has been mediocre. What was out there yesterday was abysmal.

This is basically how I feel. I was strongly in favor of firing Pelini. I was ambivalent at best about hiring Riley. I hope Riley gets things rolling. But the whole "Riley is a breath of fresh air because he didn't scream and get red in the face" argument is going to get old. If that's all we wanted, we could've hired just about anyone.
This makes me laugh... It tells me it doesn't matter what your demeanor is as a coach, there are gonna be people who are pissed at you after every loss. We've gone from "I can't stand Bo he's such a jerk!" To "I can't stand Mike he's too nice!" In a span of one game. ONE GAME. Wow.

This makes me laugh... It tells me it doesn't matter what your demeanor is as a coach, there are gonna be people who are pissed at you after every loss. We've gone from "I can't stand Bo he's such a jerk!" To "I can't stand Mike he's too nice!" In a span of one game. ONE GAME. Wow.
Yeah, that's not what Bay Area said at all. There are way more people on this board saying, "Riley's great because he ain't Bo" then are saying, "I can't stand Riley because he's too nice." Although a recycled guy or two may be pining for Bo, most of us don't care to compare. We want to look at Riley on his own terms.

The logical ones here saw a mixture of good and bad. The composure of the team was much better. Tommy looked to have some improvements mechanically except for throwing off the back foot. Wideouts were good...running crisp routes and catching the ball. Offensive scheme overall was good except for a few plays that leave you dumbfounded. (For example, you don't ever run fly sweep on third and short because everyone is at the line of scrimmage...dumb.) It looked like some half-time adjustments were made (although it's hard to say if that is because their two best players were injured in the 2nd half). Dline played much better the 2nd half. Clock management at the end was a head scratcher. OLine technique was poor.

You see, most of us who have offered critique don't have to defend (or berate) Riley by making him the anti-Bo.

Anti-Riley = Pro-Bo on this board.

Supporting Pelini till the very end, making excuses for him til the very end, refusing to believe behind the scenes situations = Pro-Bo and coincidentally some of the same people are Anti-Riley. You keep beating the blanket drum, and I'll keep correcting you.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Yeah, that's not what Bay Area said at all. There are way more people on this board saying, "Riley's great because he ain't Bo" then are saying, "I can't stand Riley because he's too nice." Although a recycled guy or two may be pining for Bo, most of us don't care to compare. We want to look at Riley on his own terms.

The logical ones here saw a mixture of good and bad. The composure of the team was much better. Tommy looked to have some improvements mechanically except for throwing off the back foot. Wideouts were good...running crisp routes and catching the ball. Offensive scheme overall was good except for a few plays that leave you dumbfounded. (For example, you don't ever run fly sweep on third and short because everyone is at the line of scrimmage...dumb.) It looked like some half-time adjustments were made (although it's hard to say if that is because their two best players were injured in the 2nd half). Dline played much better the 2nd half. Clock management at the end was a head scratcher. OLine technique was poor.

You see, most of us who have offered critique don't have to defend (or berate) Riley by making him the anti-Bo.
Pretty sure when Bay Area Husker said, "Riley is a breath of fresh air because he didn't scream and get red in the face is going to get old." So what does that mean to you? To me it says, after just one game, people are already tiring of the nice guy routine. Are you really gonna tell me you haven't seen that at all after the game? It's been all over the board, and I think it's a little bit premature to be banging that drum.

Can't argue with you about the good and bad... The game was a mixed bag for sure. But don't pretend that no one has any reservations about how nice Riley is...

My little rant was not intended for "most of us who have offered critique don't have to defend (or berate) Riley by making him the anti-Bo." It was intended for those who think his demeanor will not cut it, as Bay Area Husker seems to be suggesting.

Bay Area is not the worst offender by a long shot, there are entire threads dedicated to Riley being too soft and the like. He just happened to be the latest post to broach the subject, causing me to finally respond.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Pretty sure when Bay Area Husker said, "Riley is a breath of fresh air because he didn't scream and get red in the face is going to get old." So what does that mean to you? To me it says, after just one game, people are already tiring of the nice guy routine. Are you really gonna tell me you haven't seen that at all after the game? It's been all over the board, and I think it's a little bit premature to be banging that drum.

Can't argue with you about the good and bad... The game was a mixed bag for sure. But don't pretend that no one has any reservations about how nice Riley is...

My little rant was not intended for "most of us who have offered critique don't have to defend (or berate) Riley by making him the anti-Bo." It was intended for those who think his demeanor will not cut it, as Bay Area Husker seems to be suggesting.

Bay Area is not the worst offender by a long shot, there are entire threads dedicated to Riley being too soft and the like. He just happened to be the latest post to broach the subject, causing me to finally respond.
He was talking about the sunshine pumper argument. If what Riley brings to the table is not getting read in the face it's not enough. He's not saying he wants a coach who screams and gets red in the face. He's just tired, as am I, of lack of willingness on this board to talk about what was good and bad because the sunshine pumpers keep saying, "Well, at least he ain't Bo!"

He was talking about the sunshine pumper argument. If what Riley brings to the table is not getting read in the face it's not enough. He's not saying he wants a coach who screams and gets red in the face. He's just tired, as am I, of lack of willingness on this board to talk about what was good and bad because the sunshine pumpers keep saying, "Well, at least he ain't Bo!"
That's what's neat about a message board... We only see what we want. I've seen a ton of discussion on the good and bad with no mention of Bo.

About the only time I see, "At least he ain't Bo!" Is when people are saying he was a terrible hire or doesn't have enough fire to get it done.

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
Any critique of the staff comes with ant Bo sentiment. People want to bring up games from years back...they have nothing to do with yesterday. It's time to let the Bo stuff go and honestly talk about this team AND coaches.

Why you always so worried about what other people post? Focus on the product on the field, and i`ll do the same, while still evaluating our prospects.

Any critique of the staff comes with ant Bo sentiment. People want to bring up games from years back...they have nothing to do with yesterday. It's time to let the Bo stuff go and honestly talk about this team AND coaches.
I've seen a lot of this on the board already. Lots of focus on team and coaches.

The problem is there are also those who want to say, after 1 game, that banker is the worst defensive coordinator in the history of Nebraska football, those who are saying we traded a nice guy for a screamer but he still sucks. After one game.

It's somewhat natural to make comparisons at times like this. I know, don't let it get under my skin, but for those who are already panicking, give it some time before proclaiming this hire as a terrible hire.

I know you and I agree on that last statement.

Last edited:
Why you always so worried about what other people post? Focus on the product on the field, and i`ll do the same, while still evaluating our prospects.
Probably because I am too invested in Husker football and want to give the coaches and players a chance before writing this team off like some are doing. Not saying you are doing this, but there's a lot of angst on the board pointed in the direction of this staff...

I like Riley I think he is a nice guy and that is what matters.
Not wins or losses it is nice that matters the most

You wouldn't shut up about Callahan for a number of years, same with Pederson.

Reactions: Truehuskerfan
ADVERTISEMENT