ADVERTISEMENT

Times Set for Red-White Series at Hawks Field

Mike Matya

Nebraska Legend
May 29, 2001
Bellevue, Nebraska [formerly Omaha]
Times Set for Red-White Series at Hawks Field

The Nebraska baseball team's annual Red-White Series will be played Oct. 11-13, with first pitch set for 3:30 p.m. each day at Hawks Field at Haymarket Park. Each of the three scrimmages is scheduled for seven innings.

The games are open to the public, and admission is free. Gates will open one hour prior to first pitch. A limited concessions menu will be available for purchase, and all outside food and beverage is prohibited.

Additionally, the scrimmages will be streamed live on Facebook (Facebook.com/NebraskaBaseball) and Twitter (@husker_baseball).

The Huskers began fall competition on Sept. 17, defeating Creighton 11-9 in a pre-planned 12-inning exhibition.

A limited concessions menu will be available for purchase, and all outside food and beverage is prohibited.
After last Saturday (THERE WERE NO CONCESSIONS AVAILABLE) I am skeptical of this proclamation. I am also thinking of buying 50 Runzas and selling them to starving fans through the fence at $10 a pop.

So it looks like Wessel has semi- recovered as he played in the first game as a catcher but didn't bat. No Everitt. Is he hurt? I can't tell who the players are without the numbers as my eyes are old. I did see one guy with a wing in a sling but I don't know who that was.

First game had a generous strike zone and moved at a good pace. Looks like it will be a challenge to replace the production of Roskum,Hallmark,Schwelly and Acker.

Last edited:
Wessel won't be recovered till the start of the 2022 season. He was lobbing balls back to the pitcher & eventually the umpire was throwing every pitch back between innings for Drew. He did throw to 1st once, on a K in the dirt & Christy was yelling NOOOOOO. It was funny, had to be there I guess. No SB attempts against Wessel either since he couldn't throw. Everitt was at Schanaman's wedding, returns for today's game I think or maybe it's tomorrows, and Wimmers is hurt so he couldn't play. That leaves us 2 catchers; Wessel & Caron for game one.

Will Walsh is in the sling, non throwing arm. The zone was embarrassingly bad for this level, seems as though I've seen that crew around Nebraska high school games so it wasn't a surprise.

We don't have anyone that can replace Hallmark or Roskum, offensively, for the 2022 season.

Really impressed with Brockett, and to a lesser extent Benson. Brockett has a really good 3 pitch mix with a potential for a 4th pitch. His demeanor isn't that of an underclassmen either. Benson's velo was inconsistent but he got after it which is nice to see from a freshmen. Jelkin is another true freshmen who's done well this fall, even holding his velo after a covid shutdown. Folks will need to pump the breaks on Christo. At this level he's a 2 pitch guy, with a questionable arm slot, flat fastball & easy to pick up secondary pitches. I don't see any way he's a starter in 2022, either midweek or weekend, unless something miraculous happens during the winter break. Coach Christy has his work cut out on this one but I'm anxious to see what this 10-12 week break will do for Drew. He's never had a fall & winter consisting of only baseball, and now he does. Such a great kid, from an even greater family, and he deserves patience from us fans.

Mason is another. Not sure I recall a physical specimen like him as a true freshmen. Well, I guess Christo ha. Chase looks like a 22-year old minor leaguer a month away from being called up to the majors. But looking the part is where it stops, he's definitely a project.

Koty Frank had a phenomenal outing. Wasn't a fan of throwing primarily secondary pitches as that won't work as a starter. He's got to get better at pinning his FB when & where he wants. If he indeed moves to the rotation, which I'm skeptical it'll happen, I pray we have a leverage guy (RH) in the pen that can replace his production from 2021. I believe we'll see Perry today or tomorrow. I guess he threw live last week and did extremely well. Thought someone told me he wasn't going live this fall, but guess that's wrong - or maybe they wanted to limit him till the end of fall. McCarville has had a good fall as well, pretty sure I mentioned in another discussion how well Schanaman has done too.

Banjoff has seemed to of regressed, haven't been impressed with him at any point this fall but maybe just one swing against Christo. Steihl too, he hasn't taken that jump I had hoped he would this fall.

Brice Matthews is a S-T-U-D!!

I'll say it again, we need to keep Core Jackson. This kid has an advanced approach at the dish for his age with a super smooth swing. He's really homesick, but seems to have settled in so hopefully being home for the break doesn't play more mind games with him. We're super athletic, moreso than this past season.

One last thing and sorry for the lengthy post but leadership is missing bigly. Kyle Perry has done an excellent job, but one guy isn't good enough. We really need at least two more guys to step up as it's quite noticeable.

Excited for today, and tomorrow. GBR!

Last edited:
Bragg has dropped his slot, resulting in some run on his FB. This is a welcome sign, and kind of a big development, didn't notice it before but absolutely love it. 91-93 with run, all day long over a flat 94-95. His secondary pitches are extremely sharp today.

Glad Perry is done, he didn't look comfortable at all. Mason Ornelas intrigues me as a 2021 Koty Frank. Nothing overpowering, straight, works fast, everything from the same slot and not a single pitch that is straight.

Keep an eye on this Jessen cat. He's an overlooked freshmen that has opened eyes this fall and will compete for a starting spot.

ADVERTISEMENT