ADVERTISEMENT

Times are tough, but we're in MUCH better shape than we were 10 years ago

huskerpete8

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Ten years ago, almost to the day, we watched in horror as Oklahoma State walked into our house and led 38-0 at halftime. Our WCO did nothing, and our defense barely cared, it seemed. Wow.

Ironically, on that day, the 10th anniversary of the 1997 team was celebrated.

No, we're not where we want to be, not even close. But I believe we're improving week by week, and there's so much youth on this squad. Not an excuse, but reality. Ohio State will likely smack the s*** out of us on Saturday, but will it be as bad as this? I doubt it.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=272860158

The parallels are spooky. Another "OSU" team coming in that will smack the s*** out of us during a milestone anniversary year of the '97 team at time in which we don't have a permanent AD. Plus, both the '07 and '17 teams are/were coached by a former NFL coach who came into Lincoln and implemented an inept version of a WCO offense operated by a transfer QB not as good as advertised. The '07 squad at least had a winning record going into their "OSU" game. If everything else shakes out the same, a "Ganz" should emerge in a few games and LSU's DC will be our next head coach. Aranda anyone?

Reactions: huskerpete8
Ten years ago, almost to the day, we watched in horror as Oklahoma State walked into our house and led 38-0 at halftime. Our WCO did nothing, and our defense barely cared, it seemed. Wow.

Ironically, on that day, the 10th anniversary of the 1997 team was celebrated.

No, we're not where we want to be, not even close. But I believe we're improving week by week, and there's so much youth on this squad. Not an excuse, but reality. Ohio State will likely smack the s*** out of us on Saturday, but will it be as bad as this? I doubt it.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=272860158

Uhhh.....no.

And we looked liked juggernauts against Okie St. compared to just last year against the Buckeyes and if giving up 250 yards to a single RB last week is "improving", then count me out as to even trying to follow that logic.

Will this years Ohio State game be as bad as last years Ohio State game?? http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400869647

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I wouldn't say we're in better shape. We're twice as far removed from relevance now than we were then. And Callahan was a better recruiter than Riley. There's no Ndamukong Suh waiting for the next coach this time.

The parallels are spooky. Another "OSU" team coming in that will smack the s*** out of us during a milestone anniversary year of the '97 team at time in which we don't have a permanent AD. Plus, both the '07 and '17 teams are/were coached by a former NFL coach who came into Lincoln and implemented an inept version of a WCO offense operated by a transfer QB not as good as advertised. The '07 squad at least had a winning record going into their "OSU" game. If everything else shakes out the same, a "Ganz" should emerge in a few games and LSU's DC will be our next head coach. Aranda anyone?

Deja vu? Are you from the future? Lol

Clownahan & MR.....both fluff-ball losing machines.

It took Clownahan four years to rack up two losing seasons. MR might beat that with the greatest of ease.

Don't bring that game up..... oh the horror.... arguably the two worst first halves of football in Husker history- ok state and Oregon

Uhhh.....no.

And we looked liked juggernauts against Okie St. compared to just last year against the Buckeyes and if giving up 250 yards to a single RB last week is "improving", then count me out as to even trying to follow that logic.

Will this years Ohio State game be as bad as last years Ohio State game?? http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400869647

I can only speak for myself ... that Okie St. game in Lincoln was, to me, the lowlight in 40 years of watching the program. That first half was absolutely incredible (in a bad way). Sure, we've had worse individual moments, but that first half was the worst for me. We were non-competitive.

I disagree. I think we are in worse shape now than we were ten years ago. We are now ten MORE years removed from being relevant. Hell, it's not even a big story anymore that we can't compete.

But don't you think we have better (albeit younger) players today than we did back then?

I can only speak for myself ... that Okie St. game in Lincoln was, to me, the lowlight in 40 years of watching the program. That first half was absolutely incredible (in a bad way). Sure, we've had worse individual moments, but that first half was the worst for me. We were non-competitive.

Okay, yes I agree with that. The way your first post is phrased made it sound like that was the worst game we've played. That game certainly marked the end of Callahan.

I disagree. I think we are in worse shape now than we were ten years ago. We are now ten MORE years removed from being relevant. Hell, it's not even a big story anymore that we can't compete.

This year has felt different, in a bad, uneasy way. I have this terrible dread that the program is about to bottom out. As stated above, it isn't the wins and losses so much for me as it is the lack of being relevant. It just feels like that's never coming back. I need some hope.

Reactions: HuskerDana
But don't you think we have better (albeit younger) players today than we did back then?
No. Honestly, no.
Arent most here in agreement that the only reason Bo had any success is because of the stockpile recruiting Callahan did? Arent we in agreement that what did Callahan in is his development and coaching, especially on the defensive side?
These are serious questions I'm not being rhetorical. If this isn't popular belief I missed something.
Also, don't people who didn't like solich say the reason he needed to go was his recruiting was poor?

Now that you bring it up, it's eery how similar 2007 is to today. If it wasn't before, the writing was on the wall that awful day against ok state.
If we have a similar day Saturday, coupled this season with a loss to NIU, a 42 point first half at Oregon (with good 2nd half effort), and a stomping against wisky won't the writing be on the wall again? Even if you disagree I have no idea how you can say the program is in better shape now.

There are no apples to apples comparisons but this would be in the same realm.
We need to show a fighting chance Saturday.

Reactions: HuskerDana
No. Honestly, no.
Arent most here in agreement that the only reason Bo had any success is because of the stockpile recruiting Callahan did? Arent we in agreement that what did Callahan in is his development and coaching, especially on the defensive side?
These are serious questions I'm not being rhetorical. If this isn't popular belief I missed something.
Also, don't people who didn't like solich say the reason he needed to go was his recruiting was poor?

Now that you bring it up, it's eery how similar 2007 is to today. If it wasn't before, the writing was on the wall that awful day against ok state.
If we have a similar day Saturday, coupled this season with a loss to NIU, a 42 point first half at Oregon (with good 2nd half effort), and a stomping against wisky won't the writing be on the wall again? Even if you disagree I have no idea how you can say the program is in better shape now.

There are no apples to apples comparisons but this would be in the same realm.
We need to show a fighting chance Saturday.

I think for one thing, we're playing more physical, probably better teams now than we were then in the finessy Big 12. Secondly, I remember that Okie State game just blowing me away in terms of the lack of effort.

Hell, I could be denial, but as bad as the thrashing was to Wisconsin, and as bad as this one might be, I can't imagine it being as bad as that year.

Deja vu? Are you from the future? Lol

I come from the year 2020…you know the year of “hindsight”. After new AD Larry the Cable Guy told Riley to hit the Oregon (State) Trail at the end of the 2017 season, Larry couldn’t Git 'R Done. Tennessee swooped in before us and hired Scott Frost, who has since won three national titles at Rocky Top; they were so good in 2019 that the NCAA gave them two titles last year. With Scott out of the running, a special statewide election was held to vote on who to hire. By this point Larry left to work on Cars 4 and Frank Solich took the AD job. Don’t groan, he’s been solid. Having Miles and Erstad switch jobs will go better than you think..there’s a lot of time for Tim to tweet in the dugout. Anyway, after being turned down by our first three choices, Saban, Dabo, and a giant inflatable bottle of Dorthy Lynch with a tape recorder inside repeating “why don’t we just run the triple option?”, we hired Mark Richt away from Miami. Good hire.

I come from the year 2020…you know the year of “hindsight”. After new AD Larry the Cable Guy told Riley to hit the Oregon (State) Trail at the end of the 2017 season, Larry couldn’t Git 'R Done. Tennessee swooped in before us and hired Scott Frost, who has since won three national titles at Rocky Top; they were so good in 2019 that the NCAA gave them two titles last year. With Scott out of the running, a special statewide election was held to vote on who to hire. By this point Larry left to work on Cars 4 and Frank Solich took the AD job. Don’t groan, he’s been solid. Having Miles and Erstad switch jobs will go better than you think..there’s a lot of time for Tim to tweet in the dugout. Anyway, after being turned down by our first three choices, Saban, Dabo, and a giant inflatable bottle of Dorthy Lynch with a tape recorder inside repeating “why don’t we just run the triple option?”, we hired Mark Richt away from Miami. Good hire.

OK. I can accept Richt. HCMR2

I personally think we are worse off right now today then 10 years ago. I still believe if two things had happened, Cally would not have been fired after the 2007 season. If Joe Ganz would have started all year, and if Cally had just an average Defensive Coordinator, he might have survived that season. Also, there was enough doubt in the outcome that ESPN Gameday was actually in Lincoln for the USC game who was # 1 at the time. When is the last time anyone actually thought Nebraska playing the # 1 in the country could be a good game?

IN 2007 we were 4-2 at this time with losses to #1 USC and #17 Missouri. We are 3-3 this year. Our losses include a MAC team and a curb stomping by an average Oregon team. Ohio State might make that Oklahoma State game look like a close game.

I think for one thing, we're playing more physical, probably better teams now than we were then in the finessy Big 12. Secondly, I remember that Okie State game just blowing me away in terms of the lack of effort.

Hell, I could be denial, but as bad as the thrashing was to Wisconsin, and as bad as this one might be, I can't imagine it being as bad as that year.
Maybe it's not, but it doesn't really help. We need to find a way to beat NW, minn, Iowa, purdue and sneak out another win to save this season. Anything less and....well maybe it's not 2007 bad but who cares? (I'd say it's just as bad if we end with five wins).
Even if it's better at this point it's like deciding between keystone light and natural light....
Wait that's offensive to beer.

That game against okie state was probably our low point in at least 50 years. So saying we are in a better place now is absolutely true.

You could argue we have less talent now then 2007 - which is not good. I don't think this team is going to quit like they did on Callaclown - but if we get blown out badly at home - the wheels may come off.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT