ADVERTISEMENT

Time to support Martinez

Idk. He was throwing darts against pressure all night in Austin. You do realize Washington and Robinson were highly sought after recruits out of high school and Spielman is a gamer?
Well, we'll never know. I know the three you mention would be good anywhere, but I don't know if they're better than what LSU has. Hopefully the talent upgrade continues in recruiting, Frost has brought in 19 four star players in the 2018 and 2019 classes, so that's encouraging that talent from many states are very receptive so far.

For the RPO offense QB is the major concern. He can't make the quick decision correctly the way Frost needs his QB to do so.

Example 1. 2nd and 5. 3rd quarter. Still 17-0. Had Wandale Robinson wide open for a first down minimum. AM decides to tuck it and run for the sidelines. Gets tripped up for a 2 yard loss Punt after a failed 3rd and 7 leads to CU's first score.

Example 2. 3rd and 8. 4th quarter. 24-21. Had Wandale settle in the zone wide open. Holds on to the ball too long. Sack, fumble CU recovery. FG ties it up.

It isn't the playcalling. When Burrow went into the portal Frost should have went after him so AM could hold a clipboard for a couple years. Instead Frost hitched his wagon to AM and it set this offense back a couple years.

I agree, thought the same at the time also - not a given he would have come here with all the family ties though & for Burrow, glad it's worked out for him, as he is miles (pun intended) ahead of here.

Reactions: Bruce1981
The LAST thing this team needs right now is a quarterback controversy.
Martinez is struggling, but he is damn good. If you want to GUARANTEE a losing season start the QB carousel.

Most of us have been supporting him, your damn good description is a generalized statement that doesn’t currently hold weight. A QB is only as good as his current play..... and having concerns about his recent play are absolutely legit.

Reactions: Bruce1981
Martinez played ‘ok’ yesterday. Not great. He makes mistakes. Somebody else pointed this out earlier—he leaves good yardage on the table by running out of bounds too early. I’m all for him taking care of himself out there, but he needs to tuck the ball and run more often if he’s going to be a great QB for NU. He’s so dangerous with his legs.

Martinez is struggling, but he is damn good. If you want to GUARANTEE a losing season start the QB carousel.
He's struggled a bit, but I think he will get it going. Some of the takes about him on here are just stupid. He's a true sophomore and people are comparing him to 5th year seniors. I think most of his issues are short term and will get fixed. He's by far the best we have, just need to put him in situations rhere he can get some confidence.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

I agree, thought the same at the time also - not a given he would have come here with all the family ties though & for Burrow, glad it's worked out for him, as he is miles (pun intended) ahead of here.
Burrow never looked that great last year. I'm guessing there was a lot of grumbling from the LSU fanbase about him and there would have been here too.

I think AM can be a very good qb for us this year. The coaches just need to put him in situations where he can get some confidence. The underneath routes have been open. The coaches should be encouraging AM to go ahead and make those throws instead of always looking for the downfield pass.

silliest post of the day, because you can already guarantee a losing season with Martinez.

Out of all the Martinez naysayers NikkiSix you dude are the worst and I totally remember the origin of your 2AM negativity campaign. In a nutshell- I have a buddy who is a psychologist and he says based off of Adrian’s demeanor that he’ll never amount to blah blah blah.. we get it dude- your life coach guru has told you everything you need to know.. please spare the rest of us your mid-life ineptness.

Martinez should be fine. He looked a lot better this week and seems to have calmed down. He's still struggling with ball security but hopefully that gets addressed. I liked his leadership in the post game presser. Hopefully he gets the time to make throws at a higher rate going foward.

Part of the problem with the quarterback pressure is that we've got poor routes called by the coaches. WR should be running routes within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. Cali transfer should be running routes 5 to 15 yards within the line of scrimmage. Between those two on short routes one of them should always be open

Reactions: oldjar07
Just support the whole team, including the coaches. Jeezus, it's game 2 of the second season of a rebuild. If we, as fans, can't support the team, we have bigger issues. Let the AD make the hires, let the coaches coach, let the players learn. Your job as a fan doesn't include any of those tasks.

Part of the problem with the quarterback pressure is that we've got poor routes called by the coaches. WR should be running routes within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. Cali transfer should be running routes 5 to 15 yards within the line of scrimmage. Between those two on short routes one of them should always be open
I agree, need to exploit the middle. We have all our guys running vertical routes or to the sideline, but often times we have no receiver running an underneath route across the middle that would make an easy pass for Martinez to dump it off to.

Martinez played ‘ok’ yesterday. Not great. He makes mistakes. Somebody else pointed this out earlier—he leaves good yardage on the table by running out of bounds too early. I’m all for him taking care of himself out there, but he needs to tuck the ball and run more often if he’s going to be a great QB for NU. He’s so dangerous with his legs.
I seem to recall that one of the few times he tried to tuck the ball and run into the teeth of the defense he got upended like a Mason City hooker and fumbled.

Agreed there buddy. I hated losing the Colorado game like that this past Saturday. We lost in OT by a field goal. But it’s college football and it happens to the best. Colorado is a long time rival of ours and rivals always tend to play each other close these days.

I thought Martinez was up and down this Saturday but definitely not BAD. He went for almost 62% completion, around 290 yards passing, 66 yards rushing (closer to 100 yards with sacks not counted) and 4 total TDs ( 2 thrown and 2 rushing). But one things for certain, if we bring in McCaffrey now, we will struggle even more. McCaffrey is probably a better runner but it’s doubtful that he will be more accurate or a better decision maker at this point in time of his career.

I’m 100% behind Martinez, Frost and this Husker team. We all knew this wasn’t going to be a fast fix. And we all claimed we’d be patient with Scott Frost when he was hired. Mike Riley had us in a massive dumpster fire his final year. We still have a very young team. Let’s put it this way, We return ever starter on offense next season (K Noa is the lone person we lose). This was my one and last rant I will post about this 2019 season. Again, we all knew we’d be up and down this year and that’s why most of us picked us to go 8-4 to 9-3. That’s still possible.

I totally agree, I think what perplexing to lot of us is that Adrian seem out of sync not like last year, is he injured? Are the coaches holding him back?
I think it is imperative we support Martinez. He did improve between week one and two. Seems like he is holding on to the ball a long time though. Let's give him some quick passes to start out with.

Reactions: Baxter48
I think it is imperative we support Martinez. He did improve between week one and two. Seems like he is holding on to the ball a long time though. Let's give him some quick passes to start out with.
I would add they need to be throwing all sorts of zone defense at him during the practices, that is where it seems he is struggling

rewatched the 3rd & 4th qtr.. while disappointing, it's not as bad as it felt at the time.. just having our regular kicker back might have won it. One less turnover might have won it. just a lot of little things, and the same things happened to cu. we have to clean all the little details up.

Make Nebraska Great Again

I think we are supporting him. We are talking about his talent, and the coaches are saying that he is playing well with room for improvement. At the same time, we are saying that we have to start getting the ball to the wide receivers, and we need to stop giving up so many sacks and tackles for loss. It is as if QB play and the two identified problem areas are not directly linked. In addition, we were all over TM for his fumbles, but AM is getting a pass so far. In my view (and according to what I have read), AM is being treated as a bright spot in an otherwise distressing young season.

Bahahahaha. Noa is responsible for Adrian's interception? Hahahaha
Watch the play again....Noa had inside leverage with no safety help...Adrian threw the ball on target albeit to a covered receiver. This is guaranteed long connection in the NFL, the defender undercut Noa and made the INT, like Noa didn't even exist. Frost made pointed comments about WRs not getting open and working to make plays. Since that was the most consequential play a WR made or didn't make all day I would say it was pointed at Noa to some extent. If he makes that catch we have a chance to let our punter try to win the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT