ADVERTISEMENT

Time to support Martinez

Martinez should be fine. He looked a lot better this week and seems to have calmed down. He's still struggling with ball security but hopefully that gets addressed. I liked his leadership in the post game presser. Hopefully he gets the time to make throws at a higher rate going foward.

Their "right decisions" will sky-rocket immediately when they get a vicious OLine rolling.....
You got that 1000% correct. Yes, we are lacking in our O line. But not so bad that we should lose
The kind of game we had yesterday. First half, our offense was rolling. Then the Oline breaks down the 2nd half. We need more depth. Recruit better players and have more guns to choose from.

You could really see and feel the frustration in post game interviews. Especially Mo and Adrian. Those kids were crushed. The game is over and we just have to look forward and support these kids! I think both coaches & players are really feeling a ton of pressure to resurrect this program and please our frustrated fan base. They all just need to take a deep breath and go out there and have fun, play loose. This team showed us all what they're capable of in that 1st half, now it's just a matter of fine tuning this engine. I know it sucks losing to CU in that fashion, but hey.........just gotta keep grinding. 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

That's the most important piece of the puzzle. Need to get Wandale going too. Right now Adrian has nobody worth a damn to throw to as far as War and TE go (besides JD).

It's funny how so many are claiming that our opponents are stacking the box which is why we can't run the ball. I don't see anywhere close to as much of that as we did for 22 years w/TO. I don't recall the name of one of his books he wrote, but I do recall his statement that.....

"When we break through a stacked line, we're long gone!"

With a brutal OLine, lots of good things happen.......with a marginal (at best) OLine, it's rough sledding.

Reactions: SC_'sker
Give the fanbase 1 day to mourn! Our base has endured over a decade of frustration.

We are the Big Red Faithful. Come Saturday we will be back. Martinez will have our support. We will all give Frost our full trust again. Whether or not we return to glory remains to be seen but our fandom will forever go unquestioned!

GBR!!!

The LAST thing this team needs right now is a quarterback controversy.
Martinez is struggling, but he is damn good. If you want to GUARANTEE a losing season start the QB carousel.
I totally agree, I think what perplexing to lot of us is that Adrian seem out of sync not like last year, is he injured? Are the coaches holding him back?

I totally agree, I think what perplexing to lot of us is that Adrian seem out of sync not like last year, is he injured? Are the coaches holding him back?

Yes the coaches are holding back. Because he turns the ball over and can't make a decision when he sees someone open.

It doesn't matter what we think of Martinez. Even if he has all the potential in the world to be an elite quarterback, If the Coaches cannot use him in the most effective way, then it is pointless. We expect great QB success based on how they groomed QBs at Oregon and UCF but it seems to me Frost's vision for this offense is something different than what they did there. We have the talent on offense to make it happen and yet hardly see any progress.

Yes the coaches are holding back. Because he turns the ball over and can't make a decision when he sees someone open.
My hunch is he has had avoiding pics drilled into his head to the point of distraction. He won’t throw it (normally) unless someone has true separation from the DB. The few times he tried to force it or thread the needle were not good. Therefore, you need a stronger running game to make play action effective and our receivers need to do a better job of getting separation. He is a good passer. But he ain’t Tom Brady. The whole system has to be in sync for him to be a better passer. We need more rpo’s and fewer pocket passes in my opinion.

My hunch is he has had avoiding pics drilled into his head to the point of distraction. He won’t throw it (normally) unless someone has true separation from the DB. The few times he tried to force it or thread the needle were not good. Therefore, you need a stronger running game to make play action effective and our receivers need to do a better job of getting separation. He is a good passer. But he ain’t Tom Brady. The whole system has to be in sync for him to be a better passer. We need more rpo’s and fewer pocket passes in my opinion.
I also would add a few screens a swing passes to the running back, not the lateral stuff most of the time it goes nowhere

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I also would add a few screens a swing passes to the running back, not the lateral stuff most of the time it goes nowhere
Wonder if there is some stat on our success of certain plays. I'm thinking we would find bubble screens are more of a wasted down than anything.
Regardless, the playcalling was overly vanilla and predictable.

People act like it’s as simple as replacing a QB and it’s not. We’re not Clemson and we’re not Bama. We havent had the stability, coaching or recruiting that they’re had over the last decade so plug and play this early on is not going to happen. Martinez will be fine, the offense will eventually come around and we’ll have something else to complain about.

Right now the program is young and needs time. We rely on our youth as if they’re jr’s and sr’s, they’re not.

Martinez is struggling, but he is damn good. If you want to GUARANTEE a losing season start the QB carousel.
silliest post of the day, because you can already guarantee a losing season with Martinez.

He added some extra weight in the offseason. I am wondering if this is throwing him off just a bit. Also Frost has said he kept things pretty basic last year. This year he gave Martinez the whole playbook, even more than what Marriota had. I wonder if it has Martinez overthink instead of just using gut instinct and making a play.

People act like it’s as simple as replacing a QB and it’s not. We’re not Clemson and we’re not Bama. We havent had the stability, coaching or recruiting that they’re had over the last decade so plug and play this early on is not going to happen. Martinez will be fine, the offense will eventually come around and we’ll have something else to complain about.

Right now the program is young and needs time. We rely on our youth as if they’re jr’s and sr’s, they’re not.
To be fair CU has a very young team as well. Maybe even younger than us. They seemed to make it work.

Unacceptable!

giphy.gif

Reactions: CriticalObserver
Anything to get our speed talent into open space. Yes. Even Frost said we need to get it to Wandale more.

Maybe Coach Frost can have one of hundreds of staffers/interns in the football office to write a big note on top of the play calling sheets to remind himself to get the ball to Wandale more? How about adding Spielman and the tight ends to that list?

I would use font size 100+ but that is just me.Winking

giphy-5.gif

Last edited:
2AM has been an absolute turnover machine the first two game. Not only that, but he is wildly inconsistent in games so far this season. I will also go further to say his stats last year were inflated because Nebraska was playing from behind often in games... the kid is still learning. I hope to see him make a jump next game and not fumble or throw a critical INT. He will have his hands full with N Illinois D.

Jesus...the guy almost had 400 yards of offense.. he was responsible for 4 touchdowns....are husker fans perpetually drunk or stupid or both. We saw on the next to last drive how good his receivers are...as Noa basically gave up an INT and didn't try on the other. All qbs rely on getting the ball into playmakers hands... He has two playmakers who are consistent, Mo and JD and his line is suspect at best. I almost feel bad that his talentlooks to be a bit wasted right now on a very thin offense. Frost made a clear point that WRs need to actually try to get open and make plays. There were multiple passes where the Colorado defender was a better WR than the NU receiver and where the NU receiver flat dropped the ball. Playmakers make plays...right now our receivers are playing like the scheme is supposed to do it for them. Colorado had a guy make two one handed catches, a guy dive and make a game tying touchdown on a fade that was actually tipped by the corner. If Wandale makes the catch on the cross or Noa makes a play on the ball or our TE push the defender and make a third down play the whole game could change. AM is the least of our worries on offense. To be clear...I was hoping the long stretch of losing had cleared out the idiots from the fan base. I guess Frosty brought them back.

Last edited:
Jesus...the guy almost had 400 yards of offense.. he was responsible for 4 touchdowns....are husker fans perpetually drunk or stupid or both. We saw on the next to last drive how good his receivers are...as Noa basically gave up an INT and didn't try on the other. All qbs rely on getting the ball into playmakers hands... He has two playmakers who are consistent, Mo and JD and his line is suspect at best. I almost feel bad that his talentlooks to be a bit wasted right now on a very thin offense.
Bingo

Reactions: barney44
Martinez had 1 turnover in the first game and 3 yesterday. If the turnovers continue and the Huskers struggle making a switch makes sense. If McCaffrey is as promising as we hear at some point giving him a shot would be warranted.

Jesus...the guy almost had 400 yards of offense.. he was responsible for 4 touchdowns....are husker fans perpetually drunk or stupid or both. We saw on the next to last drive how good his receivers are...as Noa basically gave up an INT and didn't try on the other. All qbs rely on getting the ball into playmakers hands... He has two playmakers who are consistent, Mo and JD and his line is suspect at best. I almost feel bad that his talentlooks to be a bit wasted right now on a very thin offense.

Bahahahaha. Noa is responsible for Adrian's interception? Hahahaha

Martinez had 1 turnover in the first game and 3 yesterday. If the turnovers continue and the Huskers struggle making a switch makes sense. If McCaffrey is as promising as we hear at some point giving him a shot would be warranted.
Vedral is our #2 according to the coaches. But go ahead and weave your fantasies about benching Martinez.

Reactions: barney44

A quarterback coming in and saving the day ain’t happening. Quarterback is the least of our concerns..

A quarterback coming in and saving the day ain’t happening. Quarterback is the least of our concerns..

For the RPO offense QB is the major concern. He can't make the quick decision correctly the way Frost needs his QB to do so.

Example 1. 2nd and 5. 3rd quarter. Still 17-0. Had Wandale Robinson wide open for a first down minimum. AM decides to tuck it and run for the sidelines. Gets tripped up for a 2 yard loss Punt after a failed 3rd and 7 leads to CU's first score.

Example 2. 3rd and 8. 4th quarter. 24-21. Had Wandale settle in the zone wide open. Holds on to the ball too long. Sack, fumble CU recovery. FG ties it up.

It isn't the playcalling. When Burrow went into the portal Frost should have went after him so AM could hold a clipboard for a couple years. Instead Frost hitched his wagon to AM and it set this offense back a couple years.

Reactions: 1 nu rugby
People listen to the coach talk to much. Is the head coach and qb coach gonna say "Luke McCaffrey is not looking good in practice"? Hell no. There gonna say the typical coach talk " He looks great". 2AM is this teams best qb. Thats why he is starting and is a Captain. McCaffrey and Vedral are the backups for a reason.

For the RPO offense QB is the major concern. He can't make the quick decision correctly the way Frost needs his QB to do so.

Example 1. 2nd and 5. 3rd quarter. Still 17-0. Had Wandale Robinson wide open for a first down minimum. AM decides to tuck it and run for the sidelines. Gets tripped up for a 2 yard loss Punt after a failed 3rd and 7 leads to CU's first score.

Example 2. 3rd and 8. 4th quarter. 24-21. Had Wandale settle in the zone wide open. Holds on to the ball too long. Sack, fumble CU recovery. FG ties it up.

It isn't the playcalling. When Burrow went into the portal Frost should have went after him so AM could hold a clipboard for a couple years. Instead Frost hitched his wagon to AM and it set this offense back a couple years.

Are you 100% positive Burrow would have come to Nebraska? And if he had, he doesn't have the premium O-Line talent like he does at LSU, and the rest of their offensive talent iprobably better than what Nebraska has.

And then there's their defensive talent. It would be nice to have Burrow, but he may not perform at a high level with Nebraska talent around him.

Are you 100% positive Burrow would have come to Nebraska? And if he had, he doesn't have the premium O-Line talent like he does at LSU, and the rest of their offensive talent iprobably better than what Nebraska has.

And then there's their defensive talent. It would be nice to have Burrow, but he may not perform at a high level with Nebraska talent around him.

Idk. He was throwing darts against pressure all night in Austin. You do realize Washington and Robinson were highly sought after recruits out of high school and Spielman is a gamer?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT