ADVERTISEMENT

Time for OPS to make a change?

tithay01

Walk On
Dec 12, 2010
There are kids that need this season to get out and be given a chance to go to college and play sports. Superintendent says school or sports. She may need to go. If the school board does not have the balls to fire her then when the next school board election is, the fine people of Omaha need to run for school board and make the change.

Fyi - for the people who say that the risk for kids is too great. I have worn an Fing mask for 13 weeks before I caught the shit and still got it. I never left home without a mask on. There is a risk for kids not playing as well.

From everything Ive heard that woman is terrible. I dont expect her to last more than a couple years.

I do not live in the OPS district so her crappy decision doesn't affect my son...but I cannot fathom the stupidity that went into this shitty decision. I have an idea, now hear me out...how bout we let the kids and parents decide if they want to play sports?

Reactions: OzzyLvr
There are kids that need this season to get out and be given a chance to go to college and play sports. Superintendent says school or sports. She may need to go. If the school board does not have the balls to fire her then when the next school board election is, the fine people of Omaha need to run for school board and make the change.

Fyi - for the people who say that the risk for kids is too great. I have worn an Fing mask for 13 weeks before I caught the shit and still got it. I never left home without a mask on. There is a risk for kids not playing as well.
Maybe the school board needs to go

Reactions: Jarofflies
Bingo - "The school board needs to go" - their mismanagement of the employee's pension fund is nothing short of stunning (OWH ran a multi-part series on this issue). I live in the OPS district and I have voted no on the last several bond issues and will continue to do so until they get their house in order, both in spending and pension fund management. Both of my kids graduated from OPS and went on to college and graduated from there debt free but this only came from my wife and I both staying on top of them to do homework etc., and pushing them to read like crazy because things are so dumb down in OPS that my kids (as is the case with many others I'm sure) were getting bored. Catering to the lowest common denominator, yeah that's the plan.

Bingo - "The school board needs to go" - their mismanagement of the employee's pension fund is nothing short of stunning (OWH ran a multi-part series on this issue).
I think that story goes back many years. The Nebraska Public Employees pension has been generously funded by workers and it's been healthy & well run for years. OPS chose to break away on their own and their pension system is a mess.

I do not live in the OPS district so her crappy decision doesn't affect my son...but I cannot fathom the stupidity that went into this shitty decision. I have an idea, now hear me out...how bout we let the kids and parents decide if they want to play sports?
One of my sons plays football for Millard West, her decision definitely affects his season. I agree with everything else you posted.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
My son runs Cross Country for an OPS school. He only does it for something to do. Started it to keep in shape for his club soccer team. Then just kinda kept with it. Isnt overly competitive with it though.

I have a feeling that a lot of high school sports will get shut down mid season anyways. Schools dont have the resources to deploy the proper protocols needed like the upper level college schools do.

Reactions: jeans15
One of my sons plays football for Millard West, her decision definitely affects his season. I agree with everything else you posted.

They were all waiting/hoping that the NSAA would cancel fall sports but the NSAA decided they would not do that and toss it back to the districts.

There is a chance that OPS plays an OPS only schedule (long shot but a small chance).

The Millard schools would all play each other, prep, Kearney, Columbus (I honestly can't remember if they are A or B this season), NP and the Lincoln schools...Again, this is a long shot but there is chatter about it happening among coaches and some AD's.

Does this include the private schools? If so that’s really bs
Sort of. lame answer I know but that is the case. They have a little more wiggle room. But is not like there would be a lot of choices for competition.

Can the kids still option out and transfer to another school outside of Omaha?
Yes, but that comes with a 90 day "no play)"period. My guess (and I am usually wrong about everything) is that there is a good chance that will be lifted.

My son runs Cross Country for an OPS school. He only does it for something to do. Started it to keep in shape for his club soccer team. Then just kinda kept with it. Isnt overly competitive with it though.

I have a feeling that a lot of high school sports will get shut down mid season anyways. Schools dont have the resources to deploy the proper protocols needed like the upper level college schools do.

I'm guessing RMVs son can beat up a Jaysker's son. Just a pure guess, though.

I'm guessing RMVs son can beat up a Jaysker's son. Just a pure guess, though.
Lol....Jayskers kid could just outrun my son...on the issue of fighting, this guy is the administrator of behavior at MW, if a kid gets in trouble at MW, it’s usually one time, then they either correct their issue or transfer....:)

EGTDBkGWoAMrJDj.jpg

There are ZERO protocols "needed" for high school players. None. The kids are all over the place hanging out and swapping spit with their girlfriends and probably their girlfriend's friends. Social distancing and mask wearing in a classroom are purely for the teacher's protection. Let's not kid ourselves, we're sacrificing the kids' academics and activities for the sake of their teachers. Parents of high school and college aged kids are already getting exposed in masses by their kids.

There are ZERO protocols "needed" for high school players. None. The kids are all over the place hanging out and swapping spit with their girlfriends and probably their girlfriend's friends. Social distancing and mask wearing in a classroom are purely for the teacher's protection. Let's not kid ourselves, we're sacrificing the kids' academics and activities for the sake of their teachers. Parents of high school and college aged kids are already getting exposed in masses by their kids.
Perfect summation of the situation. Labor unions have killed this country. Can’t get rid of a bad cop, teacher or worker. Priced themselves out of a job and made China a world power because they would work for less and now we are dependent on them.

They were all waiting/hoping that the NSAA would cancel fall sports but the NSAA decided they would not do that and toss it back to the districts.

There is a chance that OPS plays an OPS only schedule (long shot but a small chance).

The Millard schools would all play each other, prep, Kearney, Columbus (I honestly can't remember if they are A or B this season), NP and the Lincoln schools...Again, this is a long shot but there is chatter about it happening among coaches and some AD's.
Throw in Gretna and you can salvage a good season

Personally, being associated with a school which used to be regularly routed by Gretna (and Elkhorn South, who is also in the Metro Conference) when they were in Class B, I won't shed a tear.
Hahahaha!

Hmmmm...Bennington?

Oh god, not Mount Mikes I hope? Ha

Reactions: saluno22
Hahahaha!

Hmmmm...Bennington?

Oh god, not Mount Mikes I hope? Ha

I used to coach about MM in football. They, as you probably know, had a great football tradition for years under Kane. Well, they started to slip and my team did not, we got better and better. My HC hated the beatings that MM put on us so once we got great and MM got bad, he said "No starters are coming out tonight" and I think it was 77-0 and next year 70-6.

It was almost cruel.

I used to coach about MM in football. They, as you probably know, had a great football tradition for years under Kane. Well, they started to slip and my team did not, we got better and better. My HC hated the beatings that MM put on us so once we got great and MM got bad, he said "No starters are coming out tonight" and I think it was 77-0 and next year 70-6.

It was almost cruel.
I was a party to an 88-0 MM loss almost 2 decades ago. Got a lot of playing time as a freshman with all of those beat downs.

There was one game against Gretna a few years ago when MM didn't earn their first 1st down of the game until I think the middle of the 4th quarter and ended with negative yardage on offense. That was really depressing. It was also a game with an impending winter storm, so the game was moved up to like 4pm. We did our job to make sure it ended as quickly as possible, the community can thank us for making sure they got home well ahead of the storm Laughing

The last couple years, MM has been on the winning end of games with running clocks. It's a weird feeling after 20 years of futility. They graduated a ton of seniors last year, I'm not counting on making the playoffs even with the reduced number of teams. "Success" in MM football nowadays is a far cry from what it used to be.

But you should see the math and academic decathlon teams :D

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
I was a party to an 88-0 MM loss almost 2 decades ago. Got a lot of playing time as a freshman with all of those beat downs.

There was one game against Gretna a few years ago when MM didn't earn their first 1st down of the game until I think the middle of the 4th quarter and ended with negative yardage on offense. That was really depressing. It was also a game with an impending winter storm, so the game was moved up to like 4pm. We did our job to make sure it ended as quickly as possible, the community can thank us for making sure they got home well ahead of the storm Laughing

The last couple years, MM has been on the winning end of games with running clocks. It's a weird feeling after 20 years of futility. They graduated a ton of seniors last year, I'm not counting on making the playoffs even with the reduced number of teams. "Success" in MM football nowadays is a far cry from what it used to be.

But you should see the math and academic decathlon teams :D

I got offered a job there a few years back, was it Coach Boerer? One of my old coaching friends was on the staff and two of my former players were on staff but I just didn't want to do the time commitment John wanted. He did a heck of a job over there. I had heard they were a little upset that he left.

Reactions: saluno22
Gretna got moved to Class A at a time when, due to one of those quirks of demographics, Gretna had very few juniors and seniors much if any bigger than a couple of dimes, particularly of the linemen type. Had a lot of 200 -210 lb guys in the trenches against 250-300 linemen. Had Gretna moved to class A a year or so earlier, it would have been a much more competitive first couple of seasons. I understand there is now some good size in the upper classes, so they shoudl be much more competitive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT