ADVERTISEMENT

Time for OPS to make a change?

New York states current percent positive is 0.95%

Nebraska’s is 8.88% and 11-12% in the Omaha area

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/testing-positivity

Hard to verify the accuracy of these numbers. For example in Wisconsin, a state senator just released data that they have been grossly undercounting negative tests, and, rather than report in real time they were many days behind which totally skewed the numbers.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Hard to verify the accuracy of these numbers. For example in Wisconsin, a state senator just released data that they have been grossly undercounting negative tests, and, rather than report in real time they were many days behind which totally skewed the numbers.

Ok... I guess I am at a loss at the point you are trying to make with the statement about New York State opening schools being somehow relevant to whether or not Omaha does?

the Hopkins site uses 7 day rolling average and accounts for uneven (not real time reporting)

The reason why we use our approach is because testing capacity issues and uneven reporting cadences create a lot of misleading peaks and valleys in the data. Since we want to give a 7-day average, it is more fair to average the raw data and then calculate the ratios. Otherwise, days when a large number of negative tests are released all at once—and positivity is going to be very low—will have the same weight as days when data was steadily released, and the overall result is going to be lower. Our approach is applied to all our testing data to correct for these uneven data release patterns.

Last edited:
Ok... I guess I am at a loss at the point you are trying to make with the statement about New York State opening schools being somehow relevant to whether or not Omaha does?

the Hopkins site uses 7 day rolling average and accounts for uneven (not real time reporting)

The reason why we use our approach is because testing capacity issues and uneven reporting cadences create a lot of misleading peaks and valleys in the data. Since we want to give a 7-day average, it is more fair to average the raw data and then calculate the ratios. Otherwise, days when a large number of negative tests are released all at once—and positivity is going to be very low—will have the same weight as days when data was steadily released, and the overall result is going to be lower. Our approach is applied to all our testing data to correct for these uneven data release patterns.
Use some common sense. Do you really think New York City is safer than Omaha Nebraska for students and athletes? As the saying goes figures lie and liars figure

they send home tablets with instructions and tell the families to follow their instructions given.
That's what I'm afraid will happen with my boys (not in Nebraska). So they're basically going to leave any kids with 2 working parents or multiple kids behind. So they expect parents with full-time jobs to also be full-time teachers in addition to full-time parents when they get home from work. Nice.

We need a movement to get all healthy people in Nebraska to go and get tested so we drive the number down to where it should be. I theorize that Nebraskans aren't that worried about it and not getting tested even if they have mild symptoms. Who wants to go through the hassle of that?

Use some common sense. Do you really think New York City is safer than Omaha Nebraska for students and athletes? As the saying goes figures lie and liars figure
if you are in a group of same size of people your risk of infection would be lower if those people were from NYC than if they were from nebraska.
data is more accurate than common sense. and the data probably is not perfect but it is without a doubt better than using whatever you are using for common sense

Reactions: Nebraska_Reality
We need a movement to get all healthy people in Nebraska to go and get tested so we drive the number down to where it should be. I theorize that Nebraskans aren't that worried about it and not getting tested even if they have mild symptoms. Who wants to go through the hassle of that?
that would probably work but thats probably not the problem. the virus is going to reach every community but not all at the same time. nebraska was spared while NYC was getting punished so it makes sense at some point nebraska would have a period of time when they get hit comparatively harder than NYC during the same time period. looking back it might have been better for fall school decisions to have been thru a large peak in cases a few months ago instead of going up now.

I was a party to an 88-0 MM loss almost 2 decades ago. Got a lot of playing time as a freshman with all of those beat downs.

There was one game against Gretna a few years ago when MM didn't earn their first 1st down of the game until I think the middle of the 4th quarter and ended with negative yardage on offense. That was really depressing. It was also a game with an impending winter storm, so the game was moved up to like 4pm. We did our job to make sure it ended as quickly as possible, the community can thank us for making sure they got home well ahead of the storm Laughing

The last couple years, MM has been on the winning end of games with running clocks. It's a weird feeling after 20 years of futility. They graduated a ton of seniors last year, I'm not counting on making the playoffs even with the reduced number of teams. "Success" in MM football nowadays is a far cry from what it used to be.

But you should see the math and academic decathlon teams :D
I was at that game.

NSAA requires 90 day sit-out period if you transfer.
Parents or guardians could always buy a house in another district. That's a sure fire way to be immediately eligible. The problem with that, besides having to move or buy a separate property, is the likelihood of actually playing a season at your new district. It's a pretty risky move. And secondly, how good is your kid? He/she better be head and shoulders better than what is already there.

Parents or guardians could always buy a house in another district. That's a sure fire way to be immediately eligible. The problem with that, besides having to move or buy a separate property, is the likelihood of actually playing a season at your new district. It's a pretty risky move. And secondly, how good is your kid? He/she better be head and shoulders better than what is already there.
Classic "Is he/she better than what we already have?" situation. Winking

That's what I'm afraid will happen with my boys (not in Nebraska). So they're basically going to leave any kids with 2 working parents or multiple kids behind. So they expect parents with full-time jobs to also be full-time teachers in addition to full-time parents when they get home from work. Nice.
I have heard of a number of parents that have plans to pool with their neighbors to hire a tutor/nanny in case of school shut downs. Disparity in education lives.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
I was at that game.
It was a rough end to the 2017 season for MM. Started 4-1 against pretty bad competition with a loss to a C-1 team, then scored a total of ZERO points in the last four games (including a 28-0 loss to Gross who had a QB with a bad shoulder and seemingly just ran a pair of iso plays over and over down MM's throat). MM was then outscored a combined 174-0 in district play against Gretna, Elkhorn South, and Elkhorn.

All that aside, 2017 was a VERY fun season to observe in Class B.

- Gretna and Elkhorn South on a collision course for their Week 9 game. A botched punt long snap by Elkhorn South was the main difference in Gretna's 24-14 win on a Thursday night televised game.

- The combined record among playoff teams was 104-40. Among the 40 losses, 36 were among other playoff teams. The 4 losses to non-playoff teams were by Plattsmouth (3-6, lost to non-qualifiers Norris, Crete, and Bennington) and Roncalli (5-4, lost to non-qualifier Bennington). Bennington (3-6) had the 16th-best wild card average, but Plattsmouth qualified by going 3-0 in district play, including a win over wild card playoff qualifier Gross (5-4).

- The top 6 seeds had 6 total losses, all to each other. The only team with more than 1 loss in the Top 6 was Skutt (Gretna and Elkhorn South). Had Skutt beat Gretna in the regular season (24-7 Gretna in Week 5), the Top 7 seeds would have all been 8-1. Incidentally, Skutt beat Gretna 10-9 in the State Playoff Semifinal.

#1 Gretna (9-0) 46.000
Losses to Playoff Teams (0): None
Losses to Non-Playoff Teams: None

#2 Elkhorn South (8-1) 45.111
Losses to Playoff Teams (1): Gretna
Losses to Non-Playoff Teams (0): None

#3 York (8-1) 44.111
Losses to Playoff Teams (1): Elkhorn South

#4 Skutt (7-2) 43.556
Losses to Playoff Teams (2): Gretna, Elkhorn South

#5 McCook (8-1) 43.444
Losses to Playoff Teams (1): York

#6 Scottsbluff (8-1) 43.111
Losses to Playoff Teams (1): McCook

#7 Beatrice (8-1) 42.778
Losses to Playoff Teams (1): Elkhorn

#8 Columbus (7-2) 41.889
Losses to Playoff Teams (2): Skutt, Blair

#9 Northwest (6-3) 41.000
Losses to Playoff Teams (3): York, Columbus, Scottsbluff

#10 Elkhorn (5-4) 40.778
Losses to Playoff Teams (4): Skutt, Waverly, Elkhorn South, Gretna

#11 Blair (6-3) 40.667
Losses to Playoff Teams (3): Elkhorn, Elkhorn South, Gretna

#12 Waverly (6-3) 40.667
Losses to Playoff Teams (3): Columbus, Aurora, Beatrice

#13 Aurora (5-4) 39.778
Losses to Playoff Teams (4): McCook, Scottsbluff, York, Northwest

#14 Roncalli (5-4) 39.111
Losses to Playoff Teams (3): Gretna, Beatrice, Skutt
Losses to Non-Playoff Teams (1): Bennington

#15 Gross (5-4) 38.778
Losses to Playoff Teams (4): Skutt, Roncalli, Beatrice, Plattsmouth

#16 Plattsmouth (3-6) 35.667
Losses to Playoff Teams (3): Elkhorn, Elkhorn South, Blair
Losses to Non-Playoff Teams (3): Norris, Crete, Bennington

I have taught a few families that did this. They used the other house as a rental and then when the time came, they would use the address to get into the school they wanted.

With all the other things getting cancelled, I don't think cancelling fall sports at OPS is the end of the world, but maybe that's just me.

Why are you always so negative? This isn’t like we’ve been nuked and have deadly nuclear fallout.

There is a QB in Colorado that was considering transferring to a school in Iowa should FB be moved to the spring. I haven't heard for sure what he is going to do.

If I'm a coach, and I have a kid slated to be the starter that's done everything I've asked of him the past 3 years that he's been in my program, I tell the transfer and his parents that he's going to have to earn the position...and not just by being a better-skilled QB. He'll need to prove that helping his new teammates have a successful season is more important than anything else...including his own scholarship interests.

Colorado is still having a season; it's just later in the year. The transfer might be a good kid, but there's no way getting around the fact that he is transferring for his own interests. To me, it doesn't display very much loyalty to his current teammates who helped him become the player he is.

If class A football is still going in Nebraska past Labor Day, I’ll be extremely surprised. GI just shut down until August 24th.

Yep, my son is bummed but he gets it...been preparing and hoping to play but expecting may not be able to

New York states current percent positive is 0.95%

Nebraska’s is 8.88% and 11-12% in the Omaha area

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/testing-positivity
New York's economy is dead and people have abandoned New York City. Cuomo is begging people to come back. Some will. Many will not. They will have empty rentals and commercial real estate for decades. Houses in the Black Hills area of South Dakota are selling within 30 minutes of coming on the market. Likewise Sioux Falls is hot. Nebraska's economy just keeps ticking along. South Dakota and Wyoming are booming. Many locales in the Dakotas saw record sales tax revenues for July. Seattle and Portland are experiencing a record out migration with an estimated ratio of 10:1 people leaving those cities for other states. Positive tests don't mean much in the long run. I think you're looking at the statistics that only matter to your short term political goals.

New York's economy is dead and people have abandoned New York City. Cuomo is begging people to come back. Some will. Many will not. They will have empty rentals and commercial real estate for decades. Houses in the Black Hills area of South Dakota are selling within 30 minutes of coming on the market. Likewise Sioux Falls is hot. Nebraska's economy just keeps ticking along. South Dakota and Wyoming are booming. Many locales in the Dakotas saw record sales tax revenues for July. Seattle and Portland are experiencing a record out migration with an estimated ratio of 10:1 people leaving those cities for other states. Positive tests don't mean much in the long run. I think you're looking at the statistics that only matter to your short term political goals.
You think we should post the suicide Hotline number for him?

LOL. your info means very little in the long run as well. get back with us in 10 years and let us know how many millions of people have moved to south dakota then it will actually mean something. until then its a very very small blip on the radar

LOL. your info means very little in the long run as well. get back with us in 10 years and let us know how many millions of people have moved to south dakota then it will actually mean something. until then its a very very small blip on the radar
People are leaving some cities in droves and they're buying homes elsewhere. Many are dumping real estate in New York City at a loss. Amazon is moving a huge distribution center to Sioux Falls SD. They'll employ over 30,000 people.in a city of 180,000. I seem to remember they wanted to build one in New York at one time. Fargo ND is booming as well. IF you keep repeating your erroneous beliefs maybe they'll come true. Again, nice houses in the Blackhills are selling within 30 minutes of listing.

I visited San Francisco in the late 80s. Loved it. Beautiful, clean fun. I visited it in the late 90s and it had turned in to a complete sh##hole. Urine and feces in door ways. Homeless people camped in every nook and cranny. Garbage everywhere. You reap what you sow. The bums and addicts move in and the economic drivers move out. The same is happening in Seattle and Portland.

Last edited:
It is a big enough blip on the radar that Cuomo has already publicly pleaded for some of the wealthier residents to return.

People are leaving some cities in droves and they're buying homes elsewhere. Many are dumping real estate in New York City at a loss. Amazon is moving a huge distribution center to Sioux Falls SD. They'll employ over 30,000 people.in a city of 180,000. I seem to remember they wanted to build one in New York at one time. Fargo ND is booming as well. IF you keep repeating your erroneous beliefs maybe they'll come true. Again, nice houses in the Blackhills are selling within 30 minutes of listing.

I visited San Francisco in the late 80s. Loved it. Beautiful, clean fun. I visited it in the late 90s and it had turned in to a complete sh##hole. Urine and feces in door ways. Homeless people camped in every nook and cranny. Garbage everywhere. You reap what you sow. The bums and addicts move in and the economic drivers move out. The same is happening in Seattle and Portland.
It is a big enough blip on the radar that Cuomo has already publicly pleaded for some of the wealthier residents to return.
I'm curious how all of the changes in residency are going to impact the census count (and the impacts of the census). I'm asking that as an honest question because this is a very odd year to make mass residential changes for a number of reasons. I guess it all depends on where a person resided at the time they responded to the census.

Want to say I received my census notification back in March or April.

I'm curious how all of the changes in residency are going to impact the census count (and the impacts of the census). I'm asking that as an honest question because this is a very odd year to make mass residential changes for a number of reasons. I guess it all depends on where a person resided at the time they responded to the census.

Want to say I received my census notification back in March or April.
I suspect that most of the census forms had already been returned by the time the people who left town did so. I was looking for an emoticon with "shrugging shoulders". Who knows. All I know is what I'm hearing from realtor friends and that is that people from cities on the east and west coasts in particular are buying homes in the midwest. One friend says that the Blackhills real estate market has just exploded this summer. I've been casually looking for land out there for a while. I probably should have bought some last year.:(

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT