ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Miles won 34 games his first two years. Fred has won 14.

30BringsTheHurt

All-American
Nov 27, 2004
Reason? Most would say Fred is the better coach...but is his offense going to work here? Are we ever going to have the talent to hit the shots we're getting?

Reason? Most would say Fred is the better coach...but is his offense going to work here? Are we ever going to have the talent to hit the shots we're getting?
There is no doubt in my mind that the schedule Fred faced his first 2 years has been quite a bit tougher than what Tim faced his first 2 years. Miles wanted to do a lot of the same things Fred wanted to do. Their philosophies are very similar. That said, I was a Miles booster until the bitter end when it was apparent that a change probably had to be made. Remember the sh##storm when some of his players transferred? Miles was probably helped short term some by not jettisoning all of the holdover players. That may have hindered his longer term success though.

As a former Miles supporter some of his poor public handling of players wore thin on me. IMO, we probably have a better Xs and Os coach and I KNOW we have a guy with a lot more credibility when he walks in a recruit's living room. IMO, Miles is probably better suited for a Summit league level of job. That said, Nebraska has been a tough job for everybody who has taken it. My expectation though is that Fred is going to lead us back to respectability.

I don't know what people really expected early on. The roster originally got turned over when Fred first got here so you knew there'd be struggles. When they realized the guys they tried to get in quickly weren't panning out, they turned the roster over again. Now they've got a base to build from and are adding a top 20 national recruit. I will happily stay patient when a 5 star player is just around the corner.

I don't know what people really expected early on. The roster originally got turned over when Fred first got here so you knew there'd be struggles. When they realized the guys they tried to get in quickly weren't panning out, they turned the roster over again. Now they've got a base to build from and are adding a top 20 national recruit. I will happily stay patient when a 5 star player is just around the corner.
One point often overlooked is that there wasn't the speculation about Doc's future for 3 years before they fired him. Doc had at least some semblance of a roster for Miles to take over. On the other hand, Miles was a lame duck for 2 years before they canned him. Between his contract status and the blow ups he had with some of his players, it was pretty damned hard for him to recruit anybody that Fred would want to stick around. Recruiting without a doubt suffered Tim's last 2 years which should have been a base for Fred to build from.

I didn't like Miles relationship with some of his players. He ran off some damn solid players. To me it was also evident at times his relationship with officials was rocky. Fran McCaffery may get away with yapping at officials, but I get tired of his crap too.
The game against Penn State was typical of the whole year. Be solid the first half, and blow it the first 5 minutes of the second half with bad shots, stupid fouls, poor rebounding, and turnovers.

No doubt Hoiberg’s first two teams have been more than disappointing. But, he basically started with an expansion team last year, then turned over most of the roster again this year. Plus, the Big Ten - this year especially - is beyond brutal. How many teams have mature rosters and established head coaches compared to when Miles took over?

When has the BIG been better top to bottom? That has a lot to do with it. Some will see that as an excuse, and that's fine. I don't see it that way if it's true.
And we know Hoiberg and Staff needs to continue to recruit good talent.

I don't know how you can say he's a better coach at this point. You are what your record says you are. People try to make it more complicated than that, but it's really not.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
i was concerned with the total roster turnover, and i thought theyd drop quite a few, but it ended up much worse than i thought.

Tim Miles inherited Ray Gallegos, Dylan Talley, and Brandon Ubel.

While none of them were stars, they gave him some semblance of competition.
Tim also benefitted from the arrival of Shavon Shields. He was always gonna go to Nebraska, regardless of the coach.

Fred would've gladly taken those four players the last two seasons.

Tim did do a better job of finding high impact transfers. Perhaps Hoiberg can be more selective going forward with better High School recruits coming into the program.

Tim Miles inherited Ray Gallegos, Dylan Talley, and Brandon Ubel.

While none of them were stars, they gave him some semblance of competition.
Tim also benefitted from the arrival of Shavon Shields. He was always gonna go to Nebraska, regardless of the coach.

Fred would've gladly taken those four players the last two seasons.

Tim did do a better job of finding high impact transfers. Perhaps Hoiberg can be more selective going forward with better High School recruits coming into the program.
The transfer that concerned me most was when we lost a legacy glue guy in Ed Morrow to Marquette. He wasn't a B1G starter caliber player and proved that at Marquette but damn that one stung. That told me we might have a problem with how Miles related to his players. I get that he grew up in the Chicago area but he always seemed like a high effort high character chemistry kind of guy that you wanted in your program. IMO, a coach who relates well to his players could have sat down with Ed and kept him at NU. That doesn't mean that Ed was a huge loss talent wise but we sure could have used his depth and energy off the bench.

Reactions: Cornicator
I have faith for the years to come will be better than the Miles or Sadler era’s..
Playing in the B1G it is going to be difficult to be anything more than a middle of the pack team and IF Fred gets us there we should be ecstatic. Just get us to .500 in the B1G and he'll be a hero in my book. Then sustain that on average and let him coach here as long as he wants. If we got lucky and won more than that, take it and then don't piss and moan when we go .400 the next year. Super tough basketball conference.

Playing in the B1G it is going to be difficult to be anything more than a middle of the pack team and IF Fred gets us there we should be ecstatic. Just get us to .500 in the B1G and he'll be a hero in my book. Then sustain that on average and let him coach here as long as he wants. If we got lucky and won more than that, take it and then don't piss and moan when we go .400 the next year. Super tough basketball conference.
4 years ago we finished T-4th and won 13 league games.

4 years ago we finished T-4th and won 13 league games.
Yep. We were middle of the pack really. T-4th is maybe one or two wins or losses swing from being below .500. One of the reasons I wasn't in favor of canning Miles until the very end when it was obvious that was our only choice. Well, we could have offered him a large long term contract to get him to stay I guess. There's no way some boosters and some of the fan base would have been happy about that given the player transfers and some of his PR slip ups over the last couple of years. In today's college sports you either extend their contracts or you may as well can them.

I think Fred has proven he can recruit and coach. IMO, we need to keep extending his contract every year so he has at least 4 years left on it and then get out of his way and let him recruit. He'll win enough over time I believe. IF he hasn't after the next 2-3 years then you move on. Miles was a dead man walking when we let his contract get down to where it was. I supported Tim but I'm not sure he had good enough personal relationship skills to maintain a high level roster. JMO.

Fred&staff will get it done in time. It will get done. Getting a 5 star guy to Lincoln to play with his brother is a good start along with 2 other skilled players! They will hit some shots!

Coach Miles is a fine coach. He had some good seasons and bad. Had some great players but just not enough. I think Fred will be able to assemble enough talent to get us over the hump.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Fred&staff will get it done in time. It will get done. Getting a 5 star guy to Lincoln to play with his brother is a good start along with 2 other skilled players! They will hit some shots!

Coach Miles is a fine coach. He had some good seasons and bad. Had some great players but just not enough. I think Fred will be able to assemble enough talent to get us over the hump.
I'm not sure if Miles was a "fine" coach. What I know is that you don't have to be a great coach IF you can recruit and relate to your players well enough to keep them happy. He seemed to have some problems with relating to some of his players. When guys like Ed Morrow and Michael Jacobsen transfer, you probably have a problem. Jacobsen and Morrow were high effort guys you want on your team. A guy like Jacobsen would have been a HUGE help to Fred this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred
Yep. We were middle of the pack really. T-4th is maybe one or two wins or losses swing from being below .500. One of the reasons I wasn't in favor of canning Miles until the very end when it was obvious that was our only choice. Well, we could have offered him a large long term contract to get him to stay I guess. There's no way some boosters and some of the fan base would have been happy about that given the player transfers and some of his PR slip ups over the last couple of years. In today's college sports you either extend their contracts or you may as well can them.

I think Fred has proven he can recruit and coach. IMO, we need to keep extending his contract every year so he has at least 4 years left on it and then get out of his way and let him recruit. He'll win enough over time I believe. IF he hasn't after the next 2-3 years then you move on. Miles was a dead man walking when we let his contract get down to where it was. I supported Tim but I'm not sure he had good enough personal relationship skills to maintain a high level roster. JMO.
going 13-5 isn't one or two games from being below .500.

I think Hoiberg has a better chance to succeed here than SF, and hope he does. but accepting middle of the pack in any conference is pretty defeatist, and not something I'm willing to do. especially when Tim Miles can go 13-5 in the same league.

Reactions: dinglefritz
going 13-5 isn't one or two games from being below .500.

I think Hoiberg has a better chance to succeed here than SF, and hope he does. but accepting middle of the pack in any conference is pretty defeatist, and not something I'm willing to do. especially when Tim Miles can go 13-5 in the same league.
Was that really our B1G record? Geezus why didn't they extend Tim's contract? I knew there was a reason I supported him for so long.:) The B1G must have been having a down year that year.

Was that really our B1G record? Geezus why didn't they extend Tim's contract? I knew there was a reason I supported him for so long.:) The B1G must have been having a down year that year.
ha yes. worst part - WE WERE SNUBBED FROM THE NCAAs!

B1G only sent 4 teams, and we and our 22 wins were on the outside looking in. I think we did win our first NIT game, though.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT