ADVERTISEMENT

Tidbits from coach Bolt on Handley show

Hskrbsbl2020

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 1, 2019
2021 class comments below, I haven't heard the second half of the interview yet so if someone wants to fill in please do so.

Christo - needs to learn the corners are his friends.

Hood - out with an injury all fall, on track with rehab.

Brockett - had an up & down fall, performed well in red/white series.

Jelkin - had a really good fall. FB plays with plus secondary stuff.

Jessen - hit well all fall, in the mix to play OF.

Caron - will be our #2 catcher, likely to play some 1B too.

Randozza - had around 15 AB's before injury; 3 dingers and a couple 2B's.

Mason - best BP hitter coach has ever seen. Says he puts on a show during BP. Raw talent, may also pitch but he didn't in fall while battling an injury.

Nick asked about upperclassmen (arms).

Gomes - back on the mound again, at the end of his rehab. Same point he was a year ago from the previous rehab but he looks much better and it's obvious. Getting close to seeing if his velocity can tick back up where it needs to be. Perfect role is short stints like he was his freshmen year.

Schanaman - fun to watch him mature. Really took a step forward with everything, also got married. This fall he's looked the part to be the Friday or Saturday guy.

Perry - didn't see a lot of him this fall but he's a bulldog and they know what they're gonna get from him.

Bunz - rebounded well in the fall after how the '21 season ended for him. Potential stating candidate (my note, ugh, he's got 10 weeks of work to do on his body for this to happen).

Frank & Olson - two more candidates for starting pitchers. Olson has held velo

Bragg - super proud of him. Every mistake he made in 2021 was punished and faced too much adversity because of it. Went to work in summer ball as a starting pitcher and he was consistent this fall. His command on multiple pitches is recognized. Another starting option.

MacCarville - he was Grand Canyons #2 on a regional team is another name.

Can't replace Schwellenbach at the back-end or Povich on Friday, but in terms of quality arms & experience we're deeper than this past season.

Nick asked about 2 sophomores, Max & Brice. Max is a stud, has shown more power during fall (team hit 30 dingers in 6 weeks which is 3 times more than a year ago). Brice played SS all summer and fall. Transitioned well and coach looks to those 2 as being 2 of the better players in the league.

2021 was unique. Couldn't take a day off and that team had urgency every time they stepped on the field. Day to day hard work is what the 2022 team needs to work on - we're not entitled.

Just came to me, coach did mention Satori in the first segment so it may be safe to assume he's our starting CF. I don't think that's a surprise.

That's all, folks.

Appreciate the write up. Pitching seems to have potential but no guarantee starters outside of Shay. I think we will be fine in the field as we get closer to the season. Already excited for some Husker Baseball.

ADVERTISEMENT