ADVERTISEMENT

Thurston, Williams, Mcmullen gone

A

anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi

Now we are at correct scholarship number. Benning and the tard board said that A.J. Bush was also going to leave. Looks like the tard board is wrong, again (for now)

Mac was the only one that was going to see significant PT......I didn't see anything that makes me comfortable with depth on either line

The B1G is won in November and usually the depth of the big uglys in the trenches is a deciding factor . You can't have enough of them

Newell, Stolt, Davisx2, KM. Depth is an issue. But think of the experience the young guys are going to get.

No way to spin it, this sucks. They will have to start a RS-Fr at DT and play others heavily. They are 2 injuries away from being in deeeeeeep shit on the DL.

With as desperately as you needed bodies at DT, you could keep ANY of these guys? Wtf is that?

No way to spin it, this sucks. They will have to start a RS-Fr at DT and play others heavily. They are 2 injuries away from being in deeeeeeep shit on the DL.

With as desperately as you needed bodies at DT, you could keep ANY of these guys? Wtf is that?
If Parrella would just buy a house....

If Parrella would just buy a house....
LOL, yep - but you can't compromise in character or performance within the system - or experience tells me you end up buying someone else one. If they don't have the effort ; or in one case has too put efforts in a different direction; wish them well, staying only gums it up.

I think the handwriting was on the wall with Williams when he went on the rant last year about not being a "back up". His frustration and annoyance were too pronounced for it to be merely an issue with the media. He was venting some hostility toward the new staff in my opinion.

Losing McMullen hurts too. Since January we have lost four defensive tackles. I was optimistic about this season but now I am not so sure. You cannot compete in the B1G with a weak d line that lacks depth. Unless the young guys really step forward on the line we could be looking at another 5-7 season.

I think the handwriting was on the wall with Williams when he went on the rant last year about not being a "back up". His frustration and annoyance were too pronounced for it to be merely an issue with the media. He was venting some hostility toward the new staff in my opinion.

Losing McMullen hurts too. Since January we have lost four defensive tackles. I was optimistic about this season but now I am not so sure. You cannot compete in the B1G with a weak d line that lacks depth. Unless the young guys really step forward on the line we could be looking at another 5-7 season.

We have six guys that are likely to be able to play inside: Maurice, Newell, Stoltenberg, Davis twins, and Rath. Is this the depth we want? Obviously no. But there is talent at the position that will be playing a year earlier than we hoped.

Now we are at correct scholarship number. Benning and the tard board said that A.J. Bush was also going to leave. Looks like the tard board is wrong, again (for now)

Really? Wow! Unbelievable!

We have six guys that are likely to be able to play inside: Maurice, Newell, Stoltenberg, Davis twins, and Rath. Is this the depth we want? Obviously no. But there is talent at the position that will be playing a year earlier than we hoped.
Well can we consider the young-ins were making it obvious they were going to take playing time? Looking for your insight; you have good posts. Also I wonder why we hear so much about rotation for the d-line; but the o-line coaching was resistant to such for their big guys. I get it in tight games at tight times. Maybe its the holding the d-line has to fight through ( see the pic in sports on our Spring game on Sunday). GBR.

Well can we consider the young-ins were making it obvious they were going to take playing time? Looking for your insight; you have good posts. Also I wonder why we hear so much about rotation for the d-line; but the o-line coaching was resistant to such for their big guys. I get it in tight games at tight times. Maybe its the holding the d-line has to fight through ( see the pic in sports on our Spring game on Sunday). GBR.

OL needs chemistry more than the DL. OL combo blocks and has several ways to block a play based on the alignment of the defense. Chemistry is key.

And Oregon has shown us that playing defense is more tiring than playing offense.

JUCO DT time!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree with this. Even Banker said something about possibly looking for a Juco or graduate transfer this summer.

The fact is this: very, very few defensive tackles are consistently good as redshirt freshman. And that includes the great Suh. So in my opinion, it is simple kool aid drinking to claim that the Davis twins are going to make up for losing 4 senior tackles. It is a damn shame because this team was poised to make some noise this year. Now we are one or two injuries away from playing a 3-4 defense in the run heavy B1G

I agree with this. Even Banker said something about possibly looking for a Juco or graduate transfer this summer.

The fact is this: very, very few defensive tackles are consistently good as redshirt freshman. And that includes the great Suh. So in my opinion, it is simple kool aid drinking to claim that the Davis twins are going to make up for losing 4 senior tackles. It is a damn shame because this team was poised to make some noise this year. Now we are one or two injuries away from playing a 3-4 defense in the run heavy B1G
Running a 3-4 has nothing to do with it. We arent set up to run a 3-4. Its not that a 3-4 cant stop the run.

We are at the 85 scholarship limit now, I wonder if we lose some more before fall ball.

It's disappointing to see people leave before their time. If they're doing what they think is right, then I'm happy for them. I guess I don't see their actions as being selfish.

Running a 3-4 has nothing to do with it. We arent set up to run a 3-4. Its not that a 3-4 cant stop the run.
Actually we are maybe more set up to run a 3-4 now than we were a year ago. The other thing people don't realize is that for a DE Daishon Neal has gotten to be a big man. He's bigger than Baker was when he played DT for Pelini. We've got some athletic bodies on the D Line that give us some flexibility with how they're used. Losing McMullen hurts but not as much as some think. Collins was never coming back, Valentine wasn't reliable, and Williams was always hurt. I'm excited to see how they young guys play. I expect Parrella to have them ready to go.

Actually we are maybe more set up to run a 3-4 now than we were a year ago. The other thing people don't realize is that for a DE Daishon Neal has gotten to be a big man. He's bigger than Baker was when he played DT for Pelini. We've got some athletic bodies on the D Line that give us some flexibility with how they're used. Losing McMullen hurts but not as much as some think. Collins was never coming back, Valentine wasn't reliable, and Williams was always hurt. I'm excited to see how they young guys play. I expect Parrella to have them ready to go.
Do people understand that you don't just decide to switch to a 3-4 in the fall? That conceptually it's a completely different defense? Nebraska is not going to run a 3-4 all of a sudden because 4 DTs quit. That is, in fact, more of a reason why they won't run a 3-4. You need down-linemen who are more like DTs than they are rush ends. The "DE" is really a hybrid DE/DT and the "OLB" is a hybrid LB/DE.

The Bears switched to a 3-4 with professional coaches and players, and one of the best DC in the NFL. Here in year two, they are just going to start approaching having the proper personnel to not suck at it.

And that's IF they draft a bunch of good defensive players.

The guy (or two guys) who could play the middle in a 3-4 declared for the draft.

The guy (or two guys) who could play the middle in a 3-4 declared for the draft.
IMO in a college setting either of the Davis twins could man the middle just as they could the outside in a 3-4. They're some big 290-300 lb athletic guys. You don't have to have a fat 340 lber to man the middle. That's what I mean by athletic guys that give us flexibility. Neal is over 270 now as a DE and moves really well We certainly seem to have the linebackers now to run a 3-4. Bo worked some on a 3-4 as a wrinkle so it isn't something that most of the kids haven't been exposed to and I wouldn't be completely surprised to see it get thrown out as a wrinkle by Banker. Running a base 3-4 isn't as complicated as it sounds. It's college not the NFL.

Do people understand that you don't just decide to switch to a 3-4 in the fall? That conceptually it's a completely different defense? Nebraska is not going to run a 3-4 all of a sudden because 4 DTs quit. That is, in fact, more of a reason why they won't run a 3-4. You need down-linemen who are more like DTs than they are rush ends. The "DE" is really a hybrid DE/DT and the "OLB" is a hybrid LB/DE.

The Bears switched to a 3-4 with professional coaches and players, and one of the best DC in the NFL. Here in year two, they are just going to start approaching having the proper personnel to not suck at it.

And that's IF they draft a bunch of good defensive players.

Agreed 100%. My point about the 3-4 was exaggeration in order to point out how thin we would be at DT if we got several injuries. We may only have 3 tackle type bodies left who can play if 3 guys got injured.

Agreed 100%. My point about the 3-4 was exaggeration in order to point out how thin we would be at DT if we got several injuries. We may only have 3 tackle type bodies left who can play if 3 guys got injured.
We will be thin if we have injuries but we have more guys with some size than we did for a while after Carl screwed up recruiting. Neal is bigger at DE and more athletic than some of the guys Carl recruited and played at DT.

Sharp and Benning make it sound like they think Williams leaving is not a bad thing at all. McMullen is a loss no doubt.
Unless Greg is sandbagging, it seems his heart was no longer in it. His play won no kudos last fall on this board. He certainly is needed this year. But at the end of the day, if he and Williams don't want to be there, it's best that they are not. Let the young guys take their lumps and have good chemistry in the room.

Unless Greg is sandbagging, it seems his heart was no longer in it. His play won no kudos last fall on this board. He certainly is needed this year. But at the end of the day, if he and Williams don't want to be there, it's best that they are not. Let the young guys take their lumps and have good chemistry in the room.
His play at DT did in fact get some compliments. Playing DT is a whole different animal than playing DE though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT