ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Thursday Night Recruiting Nuggets

TimVerghese

Walk On
Staff
Mar 15, 2024
Had some quick-hitting notes I wanted to pass along tonight

- Nebraska made a new offer to 2025 Littleton (Col.) Heritage wide receiver Tanner Terch. Interesting offer, going to catch up with him tomorrow on the details but 6'2 wide receiver with a 10.9 in the 100 meter, strong hands, good body control, willing blocker. Has just one other offer, from Army, but Kansas State, Wyoming, Colorado State are among schools monitoring. Not the most exciting offer to expand the 2025 wide receiver board but he's a good football player. More on him soon.

- Speaking of wide receivers, caught up with 2025 Alvin (Tex.) Shadow Creek wide receiver Rahim Hutchins Jr., another prospect Nebraska is higher on than most, he's announcing a top schools list soon and I'm fully expecting Nebraska to be on there. He's still in frequent communication with the staff and still scheduled to OV in June. Wondered if the Huskers would cool after landing Hayes and Carpenter last weekend, that hasn't happened. Nebraska batting Houston and Michigan State for Hutchins, among a couple others.

- Caught up with 2025 Stilwell (Kan.) Blue Valley four-star LB Dawson Merritt for a good bit yesterday to recap his weekend visit to Nebraska. He's down to four schools now: Alabama, Missouri, Nebraska and Oklahoma. Right now, I get the indication Alabama and Nebraska have a bit of an edge on the other two schools. Oklahoma's right there too, but Nebraska and Alabama are more communicative week-to-week. I will say, I get the read that Missouri is running in last place pretty comfortably right now. Relationships are big for Merritt and he's got more relationships at Nebraska than anywhere else. Beyond just the coaching staff and recruiting staff, his family are getting close with Dylan Raiola and his family. He'll be back in Lincoln for an OV in June, looking forward to building more relationships in the linebacker room. Alabama's presence concerns me, he enjoyed his first visit there and is back in Tuscaloosa for an OV this weekend. Though they didn't offer until February but DeBoer's staff was one of the first to offer when they were at Washington, so there's established long term relationships there. Nebraska's told him they like him at all three linebacker spots, he's most comfortable at JACK but understands he'll need to add some muscle before he can play that role consistently. It's pretty common knowledge at this point, but in case you didn't know, his father Dave is the Kansas City Chiefs' defensive backs coach. Proximity isn't really a factor here though, neither is NIL. Honestly don't think Merritt is leaning one way or the other right now, he really likes these four schools, they've all checked boxes in terms of development, path to playing time, facilities, relationships and campus life. This will ultimately come down to what "feels like home," something he won't really know until he goes through all four official visits.

- Still keeping an eye on potential portal targets, Nebraska has been in touch with USC freshman center Jason Zandamela, but he's looking to go closer to his home state of Florida, so unless Nebraska ponies up a big NIL offer (spoiler, they shouldn't and won't) they're not seriously in the mix for him. Talented player but doesn't fit Nebraska's timeline and looks to be headed to one of Miami, Florida or UCF.

- Nebraska is keeping an eye on a couple defensive backs in the transfer portal, potentially looking to add a veteran to the room. Mentioned SMU grad transfer Bryan Massey and Rice transfer Tre'Shon Devones as two the staff is monitoring, can also add Marshall transfer Dyoni Hill to the list. He led the team with ten PBUs last year along with one interception. He's currently on a visit to Indiana. Does Nebraska end up actually adding a defensive back, or anyone for that matter, from the portal? I doubt it happens on scholarship just because of roster limits, but they'll evaluate options and see if a fit makes sense.

- Spotted Abdul Muhammad leaving practice Thursday with 2027 Omaha Central running back Kylonn Haynie, 2027 Omaha Central athlete Tory Pittman and 2026 Omaha Central wide receiver DaShawn Prince, along with a couple other Central prospects. All three have Nebraska offers and have been on campus at least once a week this spring. Fully expecting them back at least once more these next three practices and back for the spring game next week.

*EDIT* One other note I wanted to pass along, Nebraska made the top ten for 2026 Lake Mary (Fla.) High four-star quarterback Noah Grubbs, the No. 3 pro-style QB and a top-50 prospect in the 2026 cycle. Huskers up against the likes of Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Florida, Miami and Texas A&M. Says a lot that Nebraska's still in the mix, we'll see if he ends up visiting this offseason.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News