ADVERTISEMENT

Thursday: Nebraska vs. Indiana (Huskers are Eliminated 6-2)

RobsterMobster

Administrator
Jan 5, 2010
GBR!

I'll be in a meeting for the 1st hour so won't be able to provide updates until after 10am. The game is of course on BTN and BTN2GO and Sean will have updates on the premium board as well.

We better be up by 10 when I get out of that meeting! Winking

Couldn't ask for a more beautiful morning for baseball. Step 1 of 5, let's get this baby rolling!

Again only six pitches are required to retire Indiana in order. The Hoosiers are being aggressive in swinging at first pitches.

Schlepp makes a nice play to adjust to a ball hit off the mound and record the third out.

Regarding that last out, the ball went off of Waldron's shin. Hopefully it doesn't affect him.

Miller just went Cam Newton on a low pickoff throw to first. Runner advanced to 3rd on the play.

A one-out walk is followed by a wild throw to first to advance the runner to third. Another walk puts runners on the corners. A strikeout and ground out end the Hoosier threat.

Alvarado leads off with a double over the left fielder's head. Schleppenbach can't get the bunt down but grounds out to second to advance Luis anyway. Boldt with an RBI single to left! Ryan steals second. Placzek pops out to short. Meyers lines out to right.

1-0 Huskers after three.

Alvarado leads off with a double over the left fielder's head. Schleppenbach can't get the bunt down but grounds out to second to advance Luis anyway. Boldt with an RBI single to left! Ryan steals second. Placzek pops out to short. Meyers lines out to right.

1-0 Huskers after three.

Runners at 1st and 2nd, 2 outs, moderately hit ground ball hit right near the 3rd base bag. Do you 1) attempt to back hand it, 2) move your feet, center it, and at the very least smother it and you still have all day to step on 3rd for an out? Mind numbing play.

You can't win games of importance making as many mental mistakes as the huskers have made the last 24 hrs......

Back-to-back singles open the Indiana fourth. Placzek makes a nifty play on a high-hopper with the infield corners drawn in to turn a 5-U-3 DP. The next batter walks. An error on Placzek plates a run. A blooper to right scores another. A strikeout ends the inning.

2-1 Indiana

One-out and two-out singles put runners on the corners. Chesnut relieves Waldron and douses the flames with a strikeout.

Wilkening really picked us up there. Did not like the decision to sacrifice with Placzek.

Boldt is HBP and sacrificed to second. Meyers pops out to second. Miller is walked intentionally. Wilkening ties the game with an RBI single to left! Rev grounds out to end the threat.

Top 7th

Leadoff single to CF for Indiana. Sac bunt moves him to 2nd, one out. Grounds out to pitcher for out #2, the runner does advance to 3rd on the play. RBI single to LF. Single up the middle puts runners on 1st and 2nd. An RBI single to RF. Palkert now in for Chesnut. Groundout to 1st ends the inning.

Silva's one downfall is not knowing when to take a pitcher out, its been his Achilles heel his entire tenure at Nebraska. If he can just figure out his roster management issues he'd be a pretty stout pitching coach.

Top 7th

Leadoff single to CF for Indiana. Sac bunt moves him to 2nd, one out. Grounds out to pitcher for out #2, the runner does advance to 3rd on the play. RBI single to LF. Single up the middle puts runners on 1st and 2nd. An RBI single to RF. Palkert now in for Chesnut. Groundout to 1st ends the inning.

Silva's one downfall is not knowing when to take a pitcher out, its been his Achilles heel his entire tenure at Nebraska. If he can just figure out his roster management issues he'd be a pretty stout pitching coach.

To be fair, Silva made a pitching change in the sixth that got us out of a jam. Sometimes you just need the guy on the mound to make his pitches. It's not like Chesnut was out of gas or necessarily a bad match-up against Miller.

Also, in a tournament format you need to stretch your pitching as much as you can. That's obviously a moot point if you go 0-2, but that has to play a small part in your decision making process.

The bats have gotten cold at the worst time. If I'm not mistaken we have six hits so far in the tournament? That's not getting it done.

Top 8th

Leadoff single up the middle and a sac bunt moves him to 2nd. groundout to SS for out #2, the runner does move to 3rd on the play. 2 run HR for Indiana most likely puts the nail in the coffin for the Huskers. The next guy gets out to end the inning

To be fair, Silva made a pitching change in the sixth that got us out of a jam. Sometimes you just need the guy on the mound to make his pitches. It's not like Chesnut was out of gas or necessarily a bad match-up against Miller.

Also, in a tournament format you need to stretch your pitching as much as you can. That's obviously a moot point if you go 0-2, but that has to play a small part in your decision making process.

The bats have gotten cold at the worst time. If I'm not mistaken we have six hits so far in the tournament? That's not getting it done.

I can count many times where he has left a pitcher in way too long. You don't lose anything by having someone warming up. It may seem like a Chesnut only thing but after he gave up that first RBI single he should have been out of the game. Palkert was all Palkert so no complaints there. At the end of the day we have 3 hits so Silva isn't who is losing this game. Just saying his one weakness has always been roster management unfortunately. Even how long it takes him to find his rotation every year is a little unsettling.

I also don't agree with the tourney mentality for trying to stretch a pitcher out, not that I think they are trying to do that in this tourney

Reactions: mpbrown27
So Nebraska gonna show some heart at some point today or nah?

So I guess nah was the answer... See you next season, cause I don't think we're gonna make the regional after crapping the bed like this. No crow for me to eat after all.

I think our RPI should still be good enough to get in. But we've given the committee a good reason to keep us out anyway.

Reactions: saluno22
So I guess nah was the answer... See you next season, cause I don't think we're gonna make the regional after crapping the bed like this. No crow for me to eat after all.

I still think we make a regional....but, what an embarrassing appearance....but not surprising.

I still think we make a regional....but, what an embarrassing appearance....but not surprising.

IF they somehow still get invited, I'm not eating any crow over it. They will have backed their way in, and that ain't something to be proud about.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT