ADVERTISEMENT

"throwing long bombs into a gale force wind"...

Didn't MR say that the one thing TO told him at their lunch was that being able to run the ball was crucial. "You can win throwing the ball 60 times" (in the conditions you're going to face).

Didn't MR say that the one thing TO told him at their lunch was that being able to run the ball was crucial. "You can win throwing the ball 60 times" (in the conditions you're going to face).

Yep, but what exactly do you want MR to do in his first year? He doesn't have an Abdullah in the backfield to bail him out. It's tough sledding and some people need to suck it up and gut it out. You already ate the 408 yards rushing in 3 quarters last year so don't tell me you can't take the lumps for another year.

Reactions: Zag31
the OC calls the plays .. the QB decides to chuck it up for grabs deep instead of opting for the underneath routes or checkdowns

Reactions: jteten and Zag31
the OC calls the plays .. the QB decides to chuck it up for grabs deep instead of opting for the underneath routes or checkdowns

That's what people still don't understand about TA...he cannot make those short throws. He has one strength: throwing it downfield as hard as he can. Considering Ameer is gone and our run-blocking has been atrocious, guess what the game plan is going to look like most of the time?

Ozigbo had decent success. (At least he didn't fall to the ground on first contact.) He got yards after contact to the point it looked like to me he could have kept the chains moving fairly consistently. He just wasn't give much of a chance to do so.

Reactions: leodisflowers

I think this shows a lot of what MR thinks of TO

Are there not other options when a pass play is called? Are you telling me TA surveyed the field and decided a long bomb was his best option every time? He didn't, or couldn't, see any better alternatives? It was chuck and duck, or nothing?

Are there not other options when a pass play is called? Are you telling me TA surveyed the field and decided a long bomb was his best option every time? He didn't, or couldn't, see any better alternatives? It was chuck and duck, or nothing?

Desperate and without options.

We can't even snap the ball right then they don't even protect him...but yet he should overcome all that.

Yep, but what exactly do you want MR to do in his first year? He doesn't have an Abdullah in the backfield to bail him out. It's tough sledding and some people need to suck it up and gut it out. You already ate the 408 yards rushing in 3 quarters last year so don't tell me you can't take the lumps for another year.
I'll tell you what I wanted MR to do. Watch the success your having with the running game and shove it down Illinois throat until they stop it! Its doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that throwing a million times in heavy winds is a bad idea. 6.4 ypc RUN THE BALL and use the run game to setup quick passes.

I would only throw the ball a maximum of 20 to 25 tines a game until we get a legitimate pro style quarterback. Even after that I would not throw much more than 25 times a game.

The good news this week is that we have found a new starting running back.

Yep. Thus the chorus of thousands of fans screaming... "run the ball".

Instead we got long bombs into the wind.
I was one sitting in front of the TV yelling run the ball, but you do realize that the plays that broke our back on that last drive were long pass plays by Illinois. They completed em, we didn't. We had TWO plays just a touch overthrown that would have been 6 points to Westerkamp early in the game. The plays were open but the conditions just made it iffy to complete them. TA did NOT do a good job of going through his progressions and tried to force the ball in to Westerkamp a couple of times when he had other guys wide open that would have been much easier to complete shorter passes. Hopefully he learns something from watching the video of his miscues.

I was one sitting in front of the TV yelling run the ball, but you do realize that the plays that broke our back on that last drive were long pass plays by Illinois. They completed em, we didn't. We had TWO plays just a touch overthrown that would have been 6 points to Westerkamp early in the game. The plays were open but the conditions just made it iffy to complete them. TA did NOT do a good job of going through his progressions and tried to force the ball in to Westerkamp a couple of times when he had other guys wide open that would have been much easier to complete shorter passes. Hopefully he learns something from watching the video of his miscues.

Good points. IIRC Benning was commenting after the game that Illionis had won the toss and deferred. So in 2nd, they chose the ball. We took the wind in the 3rd, and that gave them the ball in the 4th. Probably not the best decision.

Good points. IIRC Benning was commenting after the game that Illionis had won the toss and deferred. So in 2nd, they chose the ball. We took the wind in the 3rd, and that gave them the ball in the 4th. Probably not the best decision.
Like it or not, our best players on offense are our WRs and QB. IF we had a more explosive RB and a more consistent run blocking line, I think Langsdorf would be more run heavy. Unfortunately TA did NOT deal well with the conditions and took a step back in his decision making. One step back, hopefully 2 steps forward against Wisconsin.

Like it or not, our best players on offense are our WRs and QB. IF we had a more explosive RB and a more consistent run blocking line, I think Langsdorf would be more run heavy. Unfortunately TA did NOT deal well with the conditions and took a step back in his decision making. One step back, hopefully 2 steps forward against Wisconsin.
Your right the best play makers are at QB and WR but when your kicking A$$ running it on the road in bad weather you don't go away from it. This is not difficult. Make them stop the run then hit PA passes or screens/slants high % throws. Basically anything but what they tried to do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT