ADVERTISEMENT

Throwback: Lawrence Phillips Appreciation Highlights

HuskGuys

Dec 21, 2010
Omaha, NE
www.huskguys.com
So I've been digging through the archives and posting a lot of throwback highlights to @HuskersTopPlays. His unique blend of size, speed, athleticism, and vision is something I don't think we have seen in college football since LP.

Sharing these 3 clips so others can enjoy some of the nostalgia of a truly once in a generation talent.

Lawrence Phillips 80 yard touchdown run vs Oklahoma State
Lawrence Phillips 42 yard TD Run vs Florida in 1996 Fiesta Bowl
Lawrence Phillips 1st drive and 1st touchdown as a Husker vs UCLA

So I've been digging through the archives and posting a lot of throwback highlights to @HuskersTopPlays. His unique blend of size, speed, athleticism, and vision is something I don't think we have seen in college football since LP.

Sharing these 3 clips so others can enjoy some of the nostalgia of a truly once in a generation talent.

Lawrence Phillips 80 yard touchdown run vs Oklahoma State
Lawrence Phillips 42 yard TD Run vs Florida in 1996 Fiesta Bowl
Lawrence Phillips 1st drive and 1st touchdown as a Husker vs UCLA
I’d put Adrian Peterson up there with him - and probably even higher.

Reactions: 19Football19
I’d put Adrian Peterson up there with him - and probably even higher.
I like AD, but LP was probably the best rb we ever had. His problem was between his ears. His speed, agility, and vision was top echelon. Can't help but wonder how his college and pro career might have been different if not for mental illness.

Last edited:
that 30/30 show explained to me why lp was the way he was...

like the guy who beat his mom would step on him and piss on him...alot of uncontrolled total depravity with his role models in his early life....a friend of mine asked lp and tf for their auto graph and tf told him to get lost, lp said no thats wrong..and signed it for the youngster...

and like kate cheating with frost...in lp's mind I could see how that was wrong..the problem is you have to not let others trigger you, and see ya in court if it's real bad.....so I can see why lp was the way he was..
on the talent side as far as workhorse rb, I put put him a lil ahead of rozier...but both had serious talent around them on the offensive side of the ball.

if I was a nfl scout I'd say lp, but I think rozier ave yard per carry is still a ncaa record...like 8.3 or 8.7 per carry..

appels and oranges, we need another like them...it' been awhile...

Last edited:
Reactions: SOHusker11
that 30/30 show explained to me why lp was the way he was...

like the guy who beat his mom would step on him and piss on him...alot of uncontrolled total depravity with his role models in his early life....a friend of mine asked lp and tf for their auto graph and tf told him to get lost, lp said no thats wrong..and signed it for the youngster...

and like kate cheating with frost...in lp's mind I could see how that was wrong..the problem is you have to not let others trigger you, and see ya in court if it's real bad.....so I can see why lp was the way he was..
on the talent side as far as workhorse rb, I put put him a lil ahead of rozier...but both had serious talent around them on the offensive side of the ball.

if I was a nfl scout I'd say lp, but I think rozier ave yard per carry is still a ncaa record...like 8.3 or 8.7 per carry..

appels and oranges, we need another like them...it' been awhile...

LP measured 6'0" 230 pounds at the NFL combine. He looked pretty close to that size in the Fiesta Bowl yet still had the quickness and breakaway speed to make the Gators look like a bottom-dwelling team. I'd really love to see Rozier's highlight tape if it exists because it does seem like a lot of older Husker fans do put Rozier right up there with LP but it's hard for me to believe any other RB was a better package.

LP measured 6'0" 230 pounds at the NFL combine. He looked pretty close to that size in the Fiesta Bowl yet still had the quickness and breakaway speed to make the Gators look like a bottom-dwelling team. I'd really love to see Rozier's highlight tape if it exists because it does seem like a lot of older Husker fans do put Rozier right up there with LP but it's hard for me to believe any other RB was a better package.
I think LP probably had higher top-end speed than Rozier, but Rozier was awfully good. For younger fans, envision a bigger, more punishing version of Ameer Abdullah.

Reactions: SOHusker11
I'd also say that Roger Craig should also be in the discussion with LP as most complete back in NU history . His NU stats were watered down from injuries and competing for playing time with Rozier, but he was a talent we never got to fully witness during his NU career - particularly his receiving skills out of the backfield. First back in NFL history to rush and receive a 1,000 yards in a single season.

Anybody ever heard the rumor that Lawrence Phillips is the real son of former Arkansas Razorback legend and NFL RB Ike Forte?

2nd from the right:

AP7512300109.jpg

First back in NFL history to rush and receive a 1,000 yards in a single season.
Pretty amazing that this has only happened twice since Craig did it - Marshall Faulk and noted Hawkeye killer Christian McCaffrey.

I would put Craig a tick below LP, Rozier and Green on the list of all-time Husker RBs, but he should definitely be in the NFL Hall of Fame.

Reactions: saluno22
I like AD, but LP was probably the best rb we ever had. His problem was between his ears. His speed, agility, and vision was top echelon. Can't help but wonder how his college and pro career might have been different if not for mental illness.
IMO AD was the best RB since Barry Sanders. His later years cloud how dominant he was at every level. Absolute work horse that kept some very bad Vikings teams competitive.

Obviously LP had unreal talent but if you’re drafting players, AD gets taken 10 times out of 10.

Reactions: phoenix4nu
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT