ADVERTISEMENT

Three Blue Blood programs not having good years

Ok, so what is the criteria for being considered a blue blood anyway? Obviously it has to be much more then just national championships, otherwise Army (5 Natty's) and Minnesota (7 Natty's) would be considered blue bloods, and they clearly aren't. So championships alone are not the criteria. To me, I think a small part is championships, but I think a blue blood is a school that is many kids dream school. No disrespect to Nebraska, but outside the state of Nebraska I don't think kids are dreaming of being Cornhuskers. Nebraska consistently recruits in the top 25, but when it gets down to it, how many kids will choose a Nebraska over schools like Notre Dame, tOSU, Texas, USC, Alabama or even Oklahoma? I would also say part of the criteria is the school has to be historically good. Nebraska had what, around a 27 year run from 1970 to 1997, so I wouldn't categorize that as historically good, really the same as Army and Minnesota, who were great in the leather helmet days. Schools like tOSU, Alabama, Texas, Michigan, Oklahoma have been historically good. No team is great every year, but these schools and maybe USC have been historically great. And to be honest why does anyone really care about the whole blue blood thing anyway, as long as your proud of your school, that's all that matters. And yes, Nebraska is closer a blue blood then Iowa. LOL But I don't think Hawkeye fans care. LOL Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Have any of you Iwegiqns know what all- time winning percentage is and conference titles regardless of we haven’t won one since 1999...

How about all time Bowl games played in..

Not to mention all- time wins 900 + which only 7 schools have achieved..

End of story!

PS - Nebraska was a national power before world war 2 and from 1962- 2003 won 9 games or more a season except for 3 seasons..

Last edited:
Have any of you Iwegiqns know what all- time winning percentage is and conference titles regardless of we haven’t won one since 1999...

How about all time Bowl games played in..

Not to mention all- time wins 900 + which only 7 schools have achieved..

End of story!

PS - Nebraska was a national power before world war 2 and from 1962- 2003 won 9 games or more a season except for 3 seasons..

Different age. Unlimited scholarships. Paid players. (STFU yes, it was so).

Why are Iowa fans so damn stupid? I just dont get why they even follow football. You dont have top 10 in all time wins without being a blue blood. Hell Florida State is even a blue blood and they havent been good for a long time.

I haven't been on the Husker site for a long time, and I don't like to taunt to other fans, but Jesus, guys, you've lost 6 straight to us.

Blue blood is a flexible concept. It means "a traditionally elite team". You stink long enough, you are no longer a blue bood. Minnesota last won a title in 1960. When Nebraska won its last one in 1997, Minnesota was no longer considered a blue blood because it was average to bad for so long, with a 37 year title drought at that point. Nebraska has been average to bad for about 20 years now. Another 15 years of this, Nebraska won't be considered a blue blood and will be seen as a past power like Minnesota, Pitt, etc (both of whom claim more titles than Nebraska). Nebraska by most measures is still a blue blood, but that title isn't a permanent claim.

Blue blood is a flexible concept. It means "a traditionally elite team". You stink long enough, you are no longer a blue bood. Minnesota last won a title in 1960. When Nebraska won its last one in 1997, Minnesota was no longer considered a blue blood because it was average to bad for so long, with a 37 year title drought at that point. Nebraska has been average to bad for about 20 years now. Another 15 years of this, Nebraska won't be considered a blue blood and will be seen as a past power like Minnesota, Pitt, etc (both of whom claim more titles than Nebraska). Nebraska by most measures is still a blue blood, but that title isn't a permanent claim.

Since 1997 23 years Nebraska has 6 losing seasons (2020 isn’t over) with a winning pct 0.652 which was 90 games above .500
Nebraska went to 18 bowl games

On the other hand, Minnesota from 1960-1982 23 years had 11 losing seasons with a winning pct of 0.516. Gophers were 7 games above .500.
Minnesota only went to 3 Bowl game and yes the Big 10 only allowed one team to go to a bowl till 1975 But only had one good team to make a bowl in 1973..

Nebraska has 195 more wins than Minnesota...
Nebraska has 46 conferences championships outright or shared to Minnesota 18..

Nebraska national championships were also won with 2 platoon football and winning bowl games against SEC teams other than Miami Fl..

Gophers claim a title losing the Rose bowl with a 8-2 season.🙄

Iwegians need to quite comparing Minnesota football history over Nebraska football history..

I haven't been on the Husker site for a long time, and I don't like to taunt to other fans, but Jesus, guys, you've lost 6 straight to us.

Havent been on the Nebraska board ynder this name? Member since 2003 with 23 posts? You havent been missed.

Reactions: headcard
Ok, so what is the criteria for being considered a blue blood anyway? Obviously it has to be much more then just national championships, otherwise Army (5 Natty's) and Minnesota (7 Natty's) would be considered blue bloods, and they clearly aren't. So championships alone are not the criteria. To me, I think a small part is championships, but I think a blue blood is a school that is many kids dream school. No disrespect to Nebraska, but outside the state of Nebraska I don't think kids are dreaming of being Cornhuskers. Nebraska consistently recruits in the top 25, but when it gets down to it, how many kids will choose a Nebraska over schools like Notre Dame, tOSU, Texas, USC, Alabama or even Oklahoma? I would also say part of the criteria is the school has to be historically good. Nebraska had what, around a 27 year run from 1970 to 1997, so I wouldn't categorize that as historically good, really the same as Army and Minnesota, who were great in the leather helmet days. Schools like tOSU, Alabama, Texas, Michigan, Oklahoma have been historically good. No team is great every year, but these schools and maybe USC have been historically great. And to be honest why does anyone really care about the whole blue blood thing anyway, as long as your proud of your school, that's all that matters. And yes, Nebraska is closer a blue blood then Iowa. LOL But I don't think Hawkeye fans care. LOL Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Hawkeye fans “don’t care,” but you’re on the Nebraska board talking about blue bloods. This act alone shows Nebraska is a blue blood. Sorry little brother.. enjoy those wrasslin’ championships.

The term Blue Blood should be banned from the board. It attracts too many Hawkeye trolls....

Last edited:
I’ve never known a fan base to be such miserable winners. Good lord, the last time Nebraska beat iowa I said good game to a few decent iowa fans and moved on. Damn these miserable PsOS must live crappy lives. What a sad sack bunch of bitches.

200.gif.cf.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT