ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Chinander

HuskerLove1

Sophomore
Sep 22, 2018
I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on whether or not Chinander is the right DC for the Huskers.

Frost has said he doesn't expect his defense to be able to shutout people (simply due to the nature of our offense), but is that the right mindset to have?

Can the scheme that Chinander runs be effective once he gets the type of players he needs? Do we already have (and have had) more than enough talent to succeed, but the maturation and development of our players has just been that poor?? From a pure recruiting rankings perspective, we should in-theory have a higher level of talent than everyone else we face in the West, but on-the-field results have obviously shown otherwise.

Yes this has been discussed before, but I was thinking about it more this morning and just wanted to hear again what others thought - I just really want to talk football because this whole quarantine thing blows.

Lastly, the over/under on how quickly this becomes a pissing match is set at six posts ;)

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on whether or not Chinander is the right DC for the Huskers.

Frost has said he doesn't expect his defense to be able to shutout people (simply due to the nature of our offense), but is that the right mindset to have?

Can the scheme that Chinander runs be effective once he gets the type of players he needs? Do we already have (and have had) more than enough talent to succeed, but the maturation and development of our players has just been that poor?? From a pure recruiting rankings perspective, we should in-theory have a higher level of talent than everyone else we face in the West, but on-the-field results have obviously shown otherwise.

Yes this has been discussed before, but I was thinking about it more this morning and just wanted to hear again what others thought - I just really want to talk football because this whole quarantine thing blows.

Lastly, the over/under on how quickly this becomes a pissing match is set at six posts ;)

We just lost 4 guys to the NFL on D from last years pathetic D. Our guys were constantly out of position and made bad decisions. Especially our LBs and Safeties. Recall PJ Fleck's comments trolling our D, he said "If we can make their front 7 move, there will be big gaps." Have not been impressed once with Chinander either at UCF or Nebraska. Either he has low football IQ players or they're coached down.

Any scheme works. Start with that.
Now, in order to field a team, you need players.
Next, you need players that are good in that scheme.

Show me a recent natty game where defense dominated?
It looked like they weren't concerned about being a top ten defense, either team in the last few natty games.

Those teams have top talent to run their schemes. Just like the spread, you can run other schemes and get more from less ,until your defense runs into any very good offenses. Then they simply get overrun. Outmanned etc.
Those defenses aren't flexible, and require a slow clock eating offense to compliment them.
We dont and wont have that kind of offense under SF.

We need the right kinds of players, they're coming.

Reactions: TOMHP
We just lost 4 guys to the NFL on D from last years pathetic D. Our guys were constantly out of position and made bad decisions. Especially our LBs and Safeties. Recall PJ Fleck's comments trolling our D, he said "If we can make their front 7 move, there will be big gaps." Have not been impressed once with Chinander either at UCF or Nebraska. Either he has low football IQ players or they're coached down.

^^^^ this ^^^^^^

Y'all replaced the wrong coordinator.

So now 6th and 7th round draft picks are losing 4 guys to the NFL from a D huh? Yeah I know Lamar and Daniels signed free agent deals. That doesnt mean anything. They can be cut whenever. If they make a 53 man roster color me impressed.

Only a simpleton would look at a single phase of the game in isolation. Offense, defense and special teams all hurt or help each other. Our defense wasn't good, but offense and special teams were atrocious. I'm not judging Chinander until Frost does his job and has a decent offense and a sound kicking/coverage game. The defense was good enough to win a lot more games last year.

Please share which games other than the Iowa game that the defense played well enough to actually win games we lost? And yes the defense did play well for most of the game against Iowa but with the game on the line the play calling and not the defensive play itself cost the Huskers the game!

Please share which games other than the Iowa game that the defense played well enough to actually win games we lost? And yes the defense did play well for most of the game against Iowa but with the game on the line the play calling and not the defensive play itself cost the Huskers the game!
They played better than the year before, if the offense had played just slightly better, if our kick and punt coverage, our kicking and punting were better, we would have won four more games and you'd be praising the offense.
We get it, you hate Chins,or the 3-4 , but as I said, with the style of offense SF runs, you need a complimentary defense with complimentary players.

I don't know. I don't feel like arguing over the shortest midget on the little bus. As I said the defense wasn't good, but in my opinion they were kneecapped time and again by the offense and special teams. I also don't think that crying for coaches to be fired every two years has gotten us anywhere. We need consistency and I think Chinander will be fine.

I don't know. I don't feel like arguing over the shortest midget on the little bus. As I said the defense wasn't good, but in my opinion they were kneecapped time and again by the offense and special teams. I also don't think that crying for coaches to be fired every two years has gotten us anywhere. We need consistency and I think Chinander will be fine.
I have to agree with this. Sometime change is good but IMO, not this time.

in 2019, here was our unit efficiency ratings:

special teams: 112th
offense: 80th
defense: 45th

ratings represent the per possession advantage a team's units would be expected to have on a neutral field against an average defense.

(source)

people saying anything different are either intellectually dishonest, willfully ignorant or just have no clue what they're watching on saturdays.

stats represent the per possession advantage a team's units would be expected to have on a neutral field against an average defense.

(source: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/fei/overalloff/2019)

people saying anything different are either intellectually dishonest, willfully ignorant or just have no clue what they're watching on saturdays.

Where do you get your biased news from anyway??? Don't confuse the story with facts...

ratings represent the per possession advantage a team's units would be expected to have on a neutral field against an average defense.

(source)

45th ranked defense would be a automatic 10 wins for Chip Kelly...

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Chip had a worse offense than Frost last year...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Purdue, for one... defense got two turnovers in the first half, both on the Purdue side of the field, even setting the offense up at like the 2 yard line, and came away with what... 3 points?

Any scheme works. Start with that.
Now, in order to field a team, you need players.
Next, you need players that are good in that scheme.

Show me a recent natty game where defense dominated?
It looked like they weren't concerned about being a top ten defense, either team in the last few natty games.

Those teams have top talent to run their schemes. Just like the spread, you can run other schemes and get more from less ,until your defense runs into any very good offenses. Then they simply get overrun. Outmanned etc.
Those defenses aren't flexible, and require a slow clock eating offense to compliment them.
We dont and wont have that kind of offense under SF.

We need the right kinds of players, they're coming.
So we don't have to have a good defense because when we play national championship caliber teams we're going to get scored on anyway? Brilliant! I now understand Cosgrove's, Diaco's, and Chinander's defensive schemes and how good they were at taking the path of least resistance against any offense that had a pulse.

in the iowa game the D gave up 20 and scored 7. that's good enough to win with a supposed high powered offense.
How many other teams gave up 20 to Iowa last year? That shouldn't be something to beat your chest about giving up 20 to Iowa's anemic offense.

ADVERTISEMENT