ADVERTISEMENT

This year’s scholarships

nwualum

Junior
Feb 16, 2011
Lincoln, NE
OK, with five players already leaving the team, and probably more to do so, how many scholarship recruits do we end up taking this year? We originally thought this was going to be a class of 16 or so. I wonder if it ends up exceeding 25?

OK, with five players already leaving the team, and probably more to do so, how many scholarship recruits do we end up taking this year? We originally thought this was going to be a class of 16 or so. I wonder if it ends up exceeding 25?
The problem is I don't think the NCAA has released the rules for sure yet on what they're going to do with the seniors who decide to stay and extend their playing days. That could throw a monkey wrench in to thing as far as scholarship numbers go. It's going to be a nightmare I'm afraid trying to manage rosters. I'm wondering if the one commit "decommitting" and the latest departures might have been some processing.

The problem is I don't think the NCAA has released the rules for sure yet on what they're going to do with the seniors who decide to stay and extend their playing days. That could throw a monkey wrench in to thing as far as scholarship numbers go. It's going to be a nightmare I'm afraid trying to manage rosters. I'm wondering if the one commit "decommitting" and the latest departures might have been some processing.
I highly doubt it was us processing. The last two players to leave were very talented players. If they had some discipline issues, you suspend them for a week or two, you don't kick them off the team. The staff kept a couple accused rapists around the team for months, I doubt what these kids did was anywhere close to that.

I highly doubt it was us processing. The last two players to leave were very talented players. If they had some discipline issues, you suspend them for a week or two, you don't kick them off the team. The staff kept a couple accused rapists around the team for months, I doubt what these kids did was anywhere close to that.
the "accused rapists" were not around the team once the extent of their situation was none. I'm not disputing the talent of these 2 guys but when a kid is acting out the way they were, it gets a whole lot easier to say go ahead and go when you think you may be up against a numbers problem. From what I've heard, the rest of the team wasn't sad to see them go.

Not bagging on Frost, but he has a lot of Rileys recruits starting. I thought they were bad? Is it a business decision?

Roster management gained another level of difficulty. No time to be nice.

Not bagging on Frost, but he has a lot of Rileys recruits starting. I thought they were bad? Is it a business decision?

Roster management gained another level of difficulty. No time to be nice.
There were a couple of guys like Jaimes who are good players. Then there are some guys who have been good teammates who we haven't developed a young guy yet to take their place. Look at the void in the upperclassmen in our O line, WR and D line. Also look at the lack of upperclassmen talent at linebacker. There's no way Frost could have known what the younger guys on Riley's roster would look like when he got to Lincoln. He might not have taken the job had he known.

IMO, some of the best talent I see on this team are the young guys who are either starting or getting playing time. Yes we're playing a few Riley holdovers but ideally this team would be loaded with seniors from Riley starting on the O and D lines. Bo Wilson got beat out by a sophomore. Our right tackle is a freshman. Our center is a sophomore. 2 redshirt Freshman at LB. Ty Robinson on the D line. These guys would have never have had to start or play this much this early for Tom.

There were a couple of guys like Jaimes who are good players. Then there are some guys who have been good teammates who we haven't developed a young guy yet to take their place. Look at the void in the upperclassmen in our O line, WR and D line. Also look at the lack of upperclassmen talent at linebacker. There's no way Frost could have known what the younger guys on Riley's roster would look like when he got to Lincoln. He might not have taken the job had he known.

IMO, some of the best talent I see on this team are the young guys who are either starting or getting playing time. Yes we're playing a few Riley holdovers but ideally this team would be loaded with seniors from Riley starting on the O and D lines. Bo Wilson got beat out by a sophomore. Our right tackle is a freshman. Our center is a sophomore. 2 redshirt Freshman at LB. Ty Robinson on the D line. These guys would have never have had to start or play this much this early for Tom.

I guess I'm trying to say I would like Frost let a lot of the young guys play starting now. I was bagging on Ruud last year, but look at how Honas and Reimer have performed this year. I get trying to build depth, but some of these guys need to go. By some, I mean most.

Reactions: BleedRed78

The staff probably did suspend them but the kids probably said “To hell with this, I’m leaving”. The kids know this is a free year for them.

Reactions: headcard
I guess I'm trying to say I would like Frost let a lot of the young guys play starting now. I was bagging on Ruud last year, but look at how Honas and Reimer have performed this year. I get trying to build depth, but some of these guys need to go. By some, I mean most.

I should say they are building depth at the expense of the younger guys being more athletically gifted. The depth are in the upcoming classes. This is when we will truly see development or not. To be sure, I want Frost to get at least 5 years and preferably 7 or 8. Get to .500 and a bowl game.

Reactions: mikecanale
That's not working out for us either. Ty Robinson is not ready. Piper is not ready. McCaffrey is not ready. Our young receivers don't know much of the playbook. Going young hasn't helped us at all.

Right now I’m convinced our best approach is not looking for a young Florida 4-star who will leave before he plays, or the under the radar project guys. I would be looking for any transfer I can get. Backups at Top 15 programs and proven guys from schools like Liberty (see below) and other small time schools, and sprinkle in any other guys who look like they could improve our team.
I don’t care about the level of competition when they’ve proven they can handle the basics of run, pass, catch, etc. Apparently, we can’t teach guys how to do that, so go find some who have actually done it on a college field to add to what we already have and go from there.

QB is my top priority. I think if we find a guy who can sling it even a little, our entire offense will be elevated.
Waiting for guys to develop who end up as busts or leaving anyway is not working at the present moment.

Liberty is only an example: 10 games played
QB M. Willis has thrown for 2040 yards with 20 TDs and 4 INTs and ran for 800 more yds adding 10 more TDs.

RB: They have one with almost 700 yds, one over 500 and another over 400.... those three averaging 160 yds per game.

These may not be record setting numbers, but I look at us after 5 games with 1 TD pass all year if we take away the Betts “pitch handoff.” Oh and 6 INTs.

Let’s say a Liberty type QB comes to Nebraska and we meet in the middle between his 20 and us on pace for 2 after 10 games...

A Liberty transfer could cut his production in half and we’d have 9 more TD’s after 10 games... 9 more TDs gets us more W’s.

Worst case scenario: Transfer comes in and can’t win the starting job... I’d still take that addition to the competition any day.

I should say they are building depth at the expense of the younger guys being more athletically gifted. The depth are in the upcoming classes. This is when we will truly see development or not. To be sure, I want Frost to get at least 5 years and preferably 7 or 8. Get to .500 and a bowl game.
I agree with this and @oldjar07 and my previous post was trying to hint that putting all our eggs in the young project basket hasn’t worked, but you don’t give up on it so much as diversify assets.

Meet in the middle.

Reactions: red scowl
They should take as many as they can and let the quitters sort themselves out. We've seen by now that there is going to be a lot of attrition. Will take big classes to offset that.

I'm not a "take mediocre kids just to take them" guy per se but we need to have at least 3* talent to replace with when these 4* kids leave. Need to be developing enough dudes that it's not devastating to lose 5-10 out of a given class. I don't want them losing that many but seems like that's how it is. So the problem needs to be addressed from both sides.

Last edited:
They should take as many as they can and let the quitters sort themselves out. We've seen by now that there is going to be a lot of attrition. Will take big classes to offset that.

I'm not a "take mediocre kids just to take them" guy per se but we need to have at least 3* talent to replace with when these 4* kids leave. Need to be developing enough dudes that it's not devastating to lose 5-10 out of a given class. I don't want them losing that many but seems like that's how it is. So the problem needs to be addressed from both sides.

A 3* guy that will spend 5 years here is of immeasurable value. The staff needs to develop relationships.

A 5* that leaves after a season, what is that worth?

Winning begets more winning and that starts with the players. You can't build a culture with free agents.

I agree with this and @oldjar07 and my previous post was trying to hint that putting all our eggs in the young project basket hasn’t worked, but you don’t give up on it so much as diversify assets.

Meet in the middle.
You guys are talking like they just decided “let’s go young.” They are playing the best players they have. The thing with a young guys is he still has room for growth. Piper beating out a guy 3 years older tells me he is a way better player. It is something to build on. The rushed first recruiting class left us with an age gap. Think of a guy like Reimer who has possibly 3 more years! Played as a freshman..started some as soph(this season that doesn’t count) and will be full time starter another 2/3 years. 3/4 year starters like Farmer, Robinson, Rogers, etc..this will pay off.

You guys are talking like they just decided “let’s go young.” They are playing the best players they have. The thing with a young guys is he still has room for growth. Piper beating out a guy 3 years older tells me he is a way better player. It is something to build on. The rushed first recruiting class left us with an age gap. Think of a guy like Reimer who has possibly 3 more years! Played as a freshman..started some as soph(this season that doesn’t count) and will be full time starter another 2/3 years. 3/4 year starters like Farmer, Robinson, Rogers, etc..this will pay off.
I think you’re correct in that having young guys who can play now will pay off down the road. The angle I’ve been looking at for the failed experiment is attrition, and recruiting busts.

3 years in and we’re not getting it done. We’re losing talent as fast as we’re acquiring it.
I’m not saying it’s hopeless, but for every Piper and Reimer getting their feet wet there’s a Martinez with the wettest of feet and only 1 TD pass on the year and guys like David Alston, Chris Walker, Jamie Nance, Demaryon Houston, Jackson Hannah, who aren’t sniffing much of the depth chart yet, and bunches of guys who left. We lead the conference by a ways in players who entered the portal since 2018.
I would like to see us recruit young guys to develop, but also hunt for transfers who’ve proven what they can do on the field at the college level, or have higher ceilings (star ranking) but have been waiting for their chance while riding the bench at a Top 10 school (also practicing against the best in the country).

I think you’re correct in that having young guys who can play now will pay off down the road. The angle I’ve been looking at for the failed experiment is attrition, and recruiting busts.

3 years in and we’re not getting it done. We’re losing talent as fast as we’re acquiring it.
I’m not saying it’s hopeless, but for every Piper and Reimer getting their feet wet there’s a Martinez with the wettest of feet and only 1 TD pass on the year and guys like David Alston, Chris Walker, Jamie Nance, Demaryon Houston, Jackson Hannah, who aren’t sniffing much of the depth chart yet, and bunches of guys who left. We lead the conference by a ways in players who entered the portal since 2018.
I would like to see us recruit young guys to develop, but also hunt for transfers who’ve proven what they can do on the field at the college level, or have higher ceilings (star ranking) but have been waiting for their chance while riding the bench at a Top 10 school (also practicing against the best in the country).
Is there a place to find stats on program attrition and transfers. It always feels like our lost talent is abnormally high. But I’ve always been curious if it’s merely average cost of doing business. Can’t think of many transfers that went elsewhere and did anything noteworthy

Personally, I think most of the FL kids who left the program would have stayed if they had a spring camp and if they weren't locked down. We should still try to recruit FL for a couple more years and see how it goes. We have connections there which are probably still solid.

Piper isn't any better than the guy he replaced. I think we have better Dlineman than Robinson who should be playing. Guys like Bootle, Tannor, Jaimes, and Farniok, not to mention guys like Dedrick Young or Freedom Akinmoladun, have started for 3 or 4 years and aren't much better by the time they are seniors than they were as freshmen. Just because a guy starts for 3 or 4 years doesn't mean he's going to get significantly better over that period and going with the youth movement when we need wins doesn't make any sense.

it will be another excuse why the class is 'young' in frosts' 4th year.. and it will be young in his 5th too.. :rolleyes:

Piper isn't any better than the guy he replaced. I think we have better Dlineman than Robinson who should be playing. Guys like Bootle, Tannor, Jaimes, and Farniok, not to mention guys like Dedrick Young or Freedom Akinmoladun, have started for 3 or 4 years and aren't much better by the time they are seniors than they were as freshmen. Just because a guy starts for 3 or 4 years doesn't mean he's going to get significantly better over that period and going with the youth movement when we need wins doesn't make any sense.

Guys like Freedom and Young had a lot of different coaches which I think hurt their development. But I see what your saying, just because they have a good freshman year doesn’t mean that they’ll develop further.

Reactions: saluno22
The "we are young" mantra is almost a self fulfilling situation. We had a lot of guys, I am not saying how talented they were, leave.

So we load up with lots of underclassmen and them guys come in as freshmen and see half a dozen guys ahead of them. I know, they shouldn't be afraid of competition but when you are 18 and you see 10 guys ahead of you at DB it makes you think.

I have never been to Florida but it must be quite the culture shock to go from Miami to Lincoln.

Reactions: dinglefritz
They obviously feel he is better than the guy he replaced. Same with Robinson..I see the young guys flash and make plays(Robinson, Rogers, Farmer to name a few). Plays that the guys you named never made! If you read my post, this isn’t a “youth movement”... it’s just the best player available is young.

Reactions: dinglefritz

The kids leaving at a high rate has hurt..remember that part of that “leading the conference” is simply a new coach coming in and the kids leaving with allegiance to former coach. With Covid and transfer rules, processing will happen more often as well..so we never know who left and who was asked to leave.

The kids leaving at a high rate has hurt..remember that part of that “leading the conference” is simply a new coach coming in and the kids leaving with allegiance to former coach. With Covid and transfer rules, processing will happen more often as well..so we never know who left and who was asked to leave.
I think the new transfer rules are going to be extremely tough on coaching staffs trying to develop some depth. It's going to be even more important to recruit kids who really want to be at your school. If they come for the coach, it's way too easy for them to leave if they get pissed at the coach over playing time.

How do we know it's kids having allegiance to another coach and not being "encouraged" to leave? Most of the kids that left weren't getting any playing time under the previous coach either. And how does that explain the number of Frost recruits that have been leaving lately?

How do we know it's kids having allegiance to another coach and not being "encouraged" to leave? Most of the kids that left weren't getting any playing time under the previous coach either. And how does that explain the number of Frost recruits that have been leaving lately?
For frost arrival there was Definitely some processing, him politely telling kids to kick rocks. I was stating “2nd most transfers in big 10” is fueled by the amount of kids that left when he arrived. The recent Covid kids are hard to judge as well, the year doesn’t count and kids are playing in huge empty stadiums and locked up in a dorm room. Two of them “left” thinking there wasn’t going to be any football at NU this year.

For frost arrival there was Definitely some processing, him politely telling kids to kick rocks. I was stating “2nd most transfers in big 10” is fueled by the amount of kids that left when he arrived. The recent Covid kids are hard to judge as well, the year doesn’t count and kids are playing in huge empty stadiums and locked up in a dorm room. Two of them “left” thinking there wasn’t going to be any football at NU this year.
BS this year doesn't count. Only need 9 games to get to the Big 10 title game and a couple more to get to the national title game.

The "we are young" mantra is almost a self fulfilling situation. We had a lot of guys, I am not saying how talented they were, leave.

So we load up with lots of underclassmen and them guys come in as freshmen and see half a dozen guys ahead of them. I know, they shouldn't be afraid of competition but when you are 18 and you see 10 guys ahead of you at DB it makes you think.

I have never been to Florida but it must be quite the culture shock to go from Miami to Lincoln.
This year in particular should go a long way toward solving the perpetual youth problem. They get a free pass to bring back any seniors they want and basically age their roster a year with no penalty.

*IF* Frost can turn this thing around, I think around 2022 and 2023 we'll be looking back at 2020 and saying it set the stage for them to recover and succeed in the long term by handing them an extra redshirt year they badly needed.

The youth isn't an excuse to be as bad as they've been, but it's a factor to be sure. RB in particular is a position I feel like it takes time to develop your body, vision, and attitude to running tough in college football. Tons of HS RBs come in used to being able to just juke anyone or run away from tacklers and you can't do that at the next level when everyone is pretty big and fast.

The lines are another one, it used to be unheard of to have redshirt freshmen out there starting on OL and DL unless they were a "going to the draft after junior year" type of talent.

Nothing fully accounts for how bad Nebraska has been lately, but there is evidence all over the place that the talent on the roster had gotten REALLY bad. Like middling in a G5 conference bad.

Frost's remarks about attending class may have been a reflection on the two players leaving. With Covid, the semester ended at Thanksgiving . Maybe there were some ineligible because of the early end of the semester and thus ineligible. Easy to take the JD way out and just leave.

Frost's remarks about attending class may have been a reflection on the two players leaving. With Covid, the semester ended at Thanksgiving . Maybe there were some ineligible because of the early end of the semester and thus ineligible. Easy to take the JD way out and just leave.
I've been wondering if Manning's problem is in part academics. I hope he has his act together so he can be a full go by next fall. ONE good year on video then maybe IF he produces as much as was hyped, he could give the NFL a shot.

Reactions: WHCSC
BS this year doesn't count. Only need 9 games to get to the Big 10 title game and a couple more to get to the national title game.
Man you didn’t read anything I said besides “doesn’t count.” Doesn’t count in terms of accessing why kids are leaving Nebraska. 3 left thinking there wouldn’t even be football this year at Nebraska. No football, ghost campus, and empty stadiums are a recipe for kids far away from home to leave.

If we were 4-1 instead of 1-4 less kids would leave IMO. When you suck and don't get PT that is a bad combo. If you go to a program where the team is winning and you are sitting behind upper classmen you are more okay with that. I blame the stuff some for Fleming leaving. I mean he was highly totued out of HS, played well in the only game he was able to, and then sits behind walk-ons who aren't producing anything.

Reactions: oldjar07
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT