ADVERTISEMENT

This might happen?

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...ark-helfrich-reunion-lincoln-just-makes-sense The connections are already in place. Adding Helfrich to the mix gives Nebraska another powerful tool for the efforts to provide Frost the Pac-12-esque offensive numbers he craves. The next step is to hoard the best coaches on the market and the Big Red has the resources to do this. Being a member of one of the richest conferences in the nation, Nebraska doesn't have to dismiss anyone to add Helfrich to the roster. The Crimson Tide have perfected the art of bringing on skilled tacticians like him on in analyst roles.

Was a little excited till I saw the articles auther. Brandon Cavanaugh is probably the biggest husker homer in any form of sports reporting.

So Frost is going to have to let go Troy Walters for this to happen..
No. Most likely scenario is he is brought in as an analysts. Bama does this all the time, best example is probably did this with Sarkisian a couple years ago or Butch Jones recently.

Reactions: otismotis08
Was a little excited till I saw the articles auther. Brandon Cavanaugh is probably the biggest husker homer in any form of sports reporting.
He has no info, but this has been speculated on since Helfrich was let go by the Bears.

Reactions: CC_Lemming
As many have pointed out, the article is not news. There are no sources cited. No reported interest from either side. It's speculation parading as news.

Also, the article does not expand on Helfrich's role and how Frost would make room for him if it were for a position on the coaching staff. And if Helfrich is the hot commodity Cavanaugh portrays him as being, why is he going to settle for an advisor role here rather than a coordinator position elsewhere? The failure to even raise simple questions like these, let alone attempt to answer them, not only points back to the speculative nature of the piece, it also shows it is not even very good speculative journalism. One is tempted to call it clickbait.

The same Helfrich that went 4-8 in 2016 at Oregon?

I don't see this happening.
He wouldn’t be hired for HC. If it was possible to bring on a former NFL OC and a college head coach, whose team played for a national championship, as an analyst, you do it everyday.

Reactions: otismotis08
He wouldn’t be hired for HC. If it was possible to bring on a former NFL OC and a college head coach, whose team played for a national championship, as an analyst, you do it everyday.

I see your point as he was influential in the development of the Oregon program. Maybe he's better in a smaller role and analyst.

However, I think these situations are case by case basis and depends on the person. There are plenty of instances where it does work, i.e. Saban hiring Lane Kiffin, and also instances where it's iffy, i.e. Saban hiring Steve Sarkisian.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Scott go after an offensive mind, I would just be surprised if it was Helfrich.

Reactions: headcard
I'm going to pass on Helfrich. Oregon's assent was really due to Chip Kelly. Even then, they won zero national championships.

I'm going to pass on Helfrich. Oregon's assent was really due to Chip Kelly. Even then, they won zero national championships.
They were awesome, top 10 year in and out and played for two national championships. You are passing on guys as analyst, unless they won national championships now? That seems insane.

Last edited:
Reactions: bshirt73
They were awesome, too 10 year in and out and played for two national championships. You are passing on guys as analyst, unless they won national championships now? That seems insane.

No. I'm saying that Helfrich did not make Oregon an elite team. I'm also saying that we don't want to be Oregon. Even at their best (with Chip Kelly) they couldn't get it done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT