ADVERTISEMENT

This may be a first

ChristmasBOnus

Sophomore
Jan 13, 2010
It’s worth a double posting due to how poor officiating has gotten. I realize high school pay is not great... but come on fellas have SOME DIGNITY.

OK Millard North is driving time is running out there stopped on the 1 yard line possibly even fumble the ball officials run to the corner no indication of a touchdown they huddle together
Giver take a minute or two then decide, we’ll
We are in Millard that’s just called his thing a touchdown and go home after the game is already over ever seen in like it unbelievable these poor guys should Really not be officiating any games.

Officiating is probably the best it’s ever been. With instant replay and so many games televised in crystal clear HD, even HS refs that don’t have the benefit of instant replay are able to improve by learning from mistakes of others.

Complaining about the refs is at an all-time high, though. For the same reasons.

two thought on this: the NSAA is a good ol' boy network. You can't believe the percentage of people who ref football playoffs and district/state basketball games that are also school teachers and school employees. Some of them are awful. The average ref doesn't have a chance without connections.

On the other hand, I used to ref some high school and even a couple of small college games (no replay back then). The athletes are so much faster than they used to be, its very difficult to keep up with everything. Watch one pro football play and see how fast everything moves. That's why they've added more officials on the field and court over the years. Its hard to keep up, and by the time you have experience on the field you're older and slowing down a little. You really need ex-players and athletes doing this, but often its not worth the crap you take while doing it.

two thought on this: the NSAA is a good ol' boy network. You can't believe the percentage of people who ref football playoffs and district/state basketball games that are also school teachers and school employees. Some of them are awful. The average ref doesn't have a chance without connections.

Don't the FB coaches submit a survey/poll to NSAA to dictate which refs to hire for playoff games? As a former head wrestling coach, that is how it worked for state wrestling.

News flash - Joe Paterno is dead. Don't think he is in a position to win any more football games.
Well no wonder Penn St is in such dissary !
Hope they get someone to replace him soon...kind of excited to see who’s on the short list!
Maybe Switzer will leave OU for this one?

Officiating is probably the best it’s ever been. With instant replay and so many games televised in crystal clear HD, even HS refs that don’t have the benefit of instant replay are able to improve by learning from mistakes of others.

Complaining about the refs is at an all-time high, though. For the same reasons.
They are as mentioned usually getting a bit old to be running up and down the field

I get a kick out of fans. A couple weeks ago we were at a HS game and some fans were complaining about the officials. They had zero clue what the rules are but that didn't stop them from yelling and complaining. Parents and fans should just watch the game and encourage the kids, leave the officiating to others unless they want to give it a try.

Reactions: jmliehr
A lot of coaches don't know all the rules either. I am amazed at how often I hear that can't be intentional grounding, he is out of the pocket. Coach, that isn't part of the rule in high school.

I get a kick out of fans. A couple weeks ago we were at a HS game and some fans were complaining about the officials. They had zero clue what the rules are but that didn't stop them from yelling and complaining. Parents and fans should just watch the game and encourage the kids, leave the officiating to others unless they want to give it a try.
It's like when a punt is muffed, the punting team scoops it up for a touchdown and then the refs put the ball where the team recovered it. The whole stadium boos since they think it was a touchdown and I never understand why because that's been the rule for so goddamn long

The QB fumbled the ball before his knee was down, and picked it up in the end zone for a TD. It was 100% the correct call. Obviously the OP got his feelings hurt but oh well!

ADVERTISEMENT