ADVERTISEMENT

'This Isn't Year Zero': Scott Frost Expects an Immediate Turnaround at Nebraska

Jul 10, 2018
By Bleacherreport

Adam Kramer
August 31, 2018

Simply a great article!! WONDERFUL GAME DAY READ!!

72399f58c788f845aab37ad8dbc81bd9_crop_north.jpg

LINCOLN, Nebraska — He looks the part of a quarterback. Tall. Powerful. Fluid.

As he takes reps on Nebraska's practice field a little more than two weeks before the team's season opener against Akron, his spirals are snug, every throw landing where it's intended.

Unlike the other QBs on this mid-August day, though, he's not wearing a green no-contact jersey. Instead, he is outfitted in a red Nebraska hat, black shorts and a black shirt with "DAY BY DAY" etched appropriately across the front.

If it weren't for the differences in wardrobe, Scott Frost might be able to pull this off....

Great read at link below:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...t-expects-an-immediate-turnaround-at-nebraska

I think this is just one of those pointless "feel good" articles sport journalists excel at. Because what the hell do you expect Frost to say about this year? Do you really think he is going to say:

"Look, I inherited some very average players, talent-wise, who still have the bad habits left over from the last staff. So I really see this year as a year to lay a foundation. I really don't see us doing much better than 6-6. I just want to go to a bowl."

Of course he isn't going to say that. It is insulting to his players, which in turn can lower morale and work ethic, leading to a bad season. Of course he is going to say "I believe in this team and I do not see this as year zero, as a throw away year. I think we can be good right now".

Now maybe he really does believe the latter. I hope he does. I am just saying that quotes like this tell us nothing about what he is really thinking.

Reactions: Can o' corn
I think this is just one of those pointless "feel good" articles sport journalists excel at. Because what the hell do you expect Frost to say about this year? Do you really think he is going to say:

"Look, I inherited some very average players, talent-wise, who still have the bad habits left

Now maybe he really does believe the latter. I hope he does. I am just saying that quotes like this tell us nothing about what he is really thinking.

kind of like our wives......Laughing

Go Big Red!

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

"Look, I inherited some very average players, talent-wise, who still have the bad habits left over from the last staff. So I really see this year as a year to lay a foundation. I really don't see us doing much better than 6-6. I just want to go to a bowl."

Of course he isn't going to say that. It is insulting to his players, which in turn can lower morale and work ethic, leading to a bad season. Of course he is going to say "I believe in this team and I do not see this as year zero, as a throw away year. I think we can be good right now".

Frost has done an amazing job of flipping the roster and finally getting some of the high 3 and low 4 star guys we've been recruiting for years to buy in and turn in to D-1 football players. I don't think Frost's repeated assertion that this wasn't 4 win talent wasn't empty coach speak. I honestly think Frost thinks we will be able to compete with every team on the schedule. I still say 8 wins (assuming no QB injuries) and don't think 9-10 is out of the question.

Pennsy - I like 99% of your posts, but you missed on this one. I can tell you to a point, Scott is thinking about going undefeated this year. It's the very reason why I trust him and the staff to bring us back to the national stage. Believe it.

Reactions: oldjar07
Frost has done an amazing job of flipping the roster and finally getting some of the high 3 and low 4 star guys we've been recruiting for years to buy in and turn in to D-1 football players. I don't think Frost's repeated assertion that this wasn't 4 win talent wasn't empty coach speak. I honestly think Frost thinks we will be able to compete with every team on the schedule. I still say 8 wins (assuming no QB injuries) and don't think 9-10 is out of the question.
I agree. I think we go 8-4 or 9-3 this year. My only point is that what he says in the article is also what he would have to say even if he did not think we would have a chance this year. What else could he say? I am just saying I don't put any stock in these feel good type articles.

Pennsy - I like 99% of your posts, but you missed on this one. I can tell you to a point, Scott is thinking about going undefeated this year. It's the very reason why I trust him and the staff to bring us back to the national stage. Believe it.
I guess my post was very unclear as to what point it was I was making. I think we have a good shot at being very successful this year. I also think Frost genuinely thinks that as well.

My only point, as I said to dingle, is that I don't trust these kinds of feel good articles. I see no point to them other than clicks. Because even if Frost thought we were going to suck (which I don't think he does) he would have to say the same kinds of things.

I have never been more excited for the start of a season is 20 years. Maybe longer. I share your optimism. GBR

I guess my post was very unclear as to what point it was I was making. I think we have a good shot at being very successful this year. I also think Frost genuinely thinks that as well.

My only point, as I said to dingle, is that I don't trust these kinds of feel good articles. I see no point to them other than clicks. Because even if Frost thought we were going to suck (which I don't think he does) he would have to say the same kinds of things.

I have never been more excited for the start of a season is 20 years. Maybe longer. I share your optimism. GBR
Hey, 99% isn't a bad percentage.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I thought it was a good article. I'd rather hear "Immediate Turnaround" rather than "Rebuild". If a coach doesn't expect he's going to win right away, he's never going to.

ADVERTISEMENT