This is why I struggle with the death penalty

steinek11

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2014
Guy who claimed his innocence was executed in 2017. New evidence shows DNA from another person on the murder weapon. Most likely an innocent man executed.

Many many more cases like this.

Proven to not be a deterrent to crime

Eyewitness testimony is horribly flawed, especially across racial lines (insert race) “all look the same” is psychologically true.

It’s blood lust. That’s it.

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
I've grown more against it than before. Life in jail sucks big-time, it's got to be just as much a deterrent as the death penalty.

Plus the risk of something like OP happening and it's massively hard to get a new trial.

I have been following the Midwest Innocence Project and it just shows how often the system gets it wrong.

mhosek

Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 11, 2001
Many many more cases like this.

Proven to not be a deterrent to crime

Eyewitness testimony is horribly flawed, especially across racial lines (insert race) “all look the same” is psychologically true.

It’s blood lust. That’s it.
What’s your solution as a ‘deterrent to crime’, then? No police? Let em police themselves? Softer penalties and kick em with a slap on the wrist? Don’t disagree that this example is potentially f*ucked up, that it HAS happened in the past and should ideally Never, agree that DNA evidence should’ve potentially exonerated this guy (and the fact it didn’t seems a bit nefarious and obviously there’s stuff there that needs to be investigated and fixed, and if someone covered it up they need to be held accountable), but what would YOUR solution be? Wanna hear it before I assume it and laugh at you prematurely...

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
What’s your solution as a ‘deterrent to crime’, then? No police? Let em police themselves? Softer penalties and kick em with a slap on the wrist? Don’t disagree that this example is potentially f*ucked up, that it HAS happened in the past and should ideally Never, agree that DNA evidence should’ve potentially exonerated this guy (and the fact it didn’t seems a bit nefarious and obviously there’s stuff there that needs to be investigated and fixed, and if someone covered it up they need to be held accountable), but what would YOUR solution be? Wanna hear it before I assume it and laugh at you prematurely...
I think it should be a little easier to get your case reheard, but I get it they are trying to prevent court systems from being overrun even though they kind of already are.

On a completely unrelated note, DNA science is not the silver bullet that so many people think it is. I'm not saying this person isn't innocent, it sounds like they likely are. But people get convicted for DNA evidence all the time and it's proven later to be wrong

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2001
Guy who claimed his innocence was executed in 2017. New evidence shows DNA from another person on the murder weapon. Most likely an innocent man executed.

So I'm gonna ask the obvious question; why are they just now finding the DNA on the murder weapon?

DRay827

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2016
Lincoln, NE

Our court system doesn't have the bandwidth for it, but I would bet that there are thousands if not tens of thousands of unjustly accused/sentenced cases that would be overturned if we took the time to apply today's technology and investigative practices to old cases from the 70's, 80's and 90's.

This is from last year, but it goes to show you how one shitty person can f*ck up so many people's lives. 38 drug convictions based one one crooked police officer's testimony is insane. And no, I'm not posting this as a dig at Republicans or Law Enforcement. Just an example of how flawed our system can be.