ADVERTISEMENT

This is what should be REQUIRED of "Coach" Frost

We do agree in parts of this. For one, if we like or not, the refs have ears. Would that 2nd Cam penalty way downfield have been called in Lincoln? Hell no! It was a bullshit call anywhere.

Would that penalty on Deontre been called at home or away? Hell yes.
Soon as he grabbed him I said "don't throw him down, don't throw his down, ah shit!"

My point among others is we've seen 3+ years of AM making really good and really bonehead plays. Has he ever been pulled during a game? He may have and I may have just missed it. If so, I'll retract that last statement.

Cam spend half of his career snapping the ball all the place and he never sat. This sends a TERRIBLE message to the overall team. He's a helluva player, he'd be an even better guard. Just my opinion, and I KNOW SF will never move Cam from Center. Thanks man.
Agree about Cam and the snaps. Don’t know why we didn’t sit him. If his backup was worse, why does Austin still have a job?

Same thing with AM. He was sat down for about 2 games, but LM proved that he wasn’t up to the challenge. Again, how is the drop off between players so noticeable? Makes you wonder why Verduzco still has a job…

Agree about Cam and the snaps. Don’t know why we didn’t sit him. If his backup was worse, why does Austin still have a job?

Same thing with AM. He was sat down for about 2 games, but LM proved that he wasn’t up to the challenge. Again, how is the drop off between players so noticeable? Makes you wonder why Verduzco still has a job…
A player taking a seat or being given special consideration to NOT having to take a series off sends a lousy message to the team. There's no question that Cam is FAR superior to any lineman NU has, and he was anointed with that job by SF from Day 1.

All things being equal, if Cam has taken EVERY snap for 3+ years and you're the backup, what is the motivation to get better? Yes, I know these guys are athletes and need to be ready all the time, but barring injury if you're gonna ride the pine, human nature kicks in.

Actually, I was talking about Adrian being taken out DURING a game for poor performance. TO and a lot of coaches will sometimes just put the #2 guy in just to clear that starter's head, for a series or two, if he's having a bad day. We all have days when we are just not on top of our game.

Austin and Verduzco have done nothing to merit being on the staff at year's end. You can have a scheme like SF likes to run as an OL coach, but how do you justify NOT making changes at times when a particular player is having a horrible day? It's so unfair to the team, it's so unfair to the backup. Not that it matters, it can piss off fans.

Reactions: jsachisler
I'll admit even coaching my 11 year old son's soccer team its this way for me. I cut the good players more slack. But funny thing is most of the good ones at this age dont need it much. The good ones are the ones busting their butts actually going hard in drills etc.
But the ones that only a mother could love? Ughh. One little thing they do and you want to punt them across the field.
Play football not futball

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Just my opinion unless the wheels completely fall off and start losing games by multiple scores and the team gives up. I just don't see TA making the change this year.
If he manages to win only three games this year, I think you have to go on from him.

This is a tricky one, in my opinion. Cam was called for questionable penalties that came at the whistle… Deontre’s came something like 3-5 seconds after the whistle, on a 3rd down. You’re off the field at that point, but not if you get whistled for a stupid PF. Big difference there.

Also, if you pull Cam, who goes in? The rapport the center has with the coach is valuable and not to be messed with for ticky tack penalties. Certain guys need to stay in the game no matter what, and Cam is one of those guys, in my opinion.
Cam is by far our best O linemen by far. I don't know if anybody else noticed but Cam was the guy that ran down that Cornerback to make the tackle on the intercepted pass in OT. Our center ran down a cornerback from behind.......

We do agree in parts of this. For one, if we like or not, the refs have ears. Would that 2nd Cam penalty way downfield have been called in Lincoln? Hell no! It was a bullshit call anywhere.

Would that penalty on Deontre been called at home or away? Hell yes.
Soon as he grabbed him I said "don't throw him down, don't throw his down, ah shit!"

My point among others is we've seen 3+ years of AM making really good and really bonehead plays. Has he ever been pulled during a game? He may have and I may have just missed it. If so, I'll retract that last statement.

Cam spend half of his career snapping the ball all the place and he never sat. This sends a TERRIBLE message to the overall team. He's a helluva player, he'd be an even better guard. Just my opinion, and I KNOW SF will never move Cam from Center. Thanks man.
Actually he did sit at times. They ran out Farniok who did a good enough job to get drafted as a potential backup center for the Cowboys.

Reactions: timnsun
Actually he did sit at times. They ran out Farniok who did a good enough job to get drafted as a potential backup center for the Cowboys.
That's why I qualified my answer, cause I may have been asleep at the time. If it was at Center, wouldn't it have been the little Farniok?

Just my opinion unless the wheels completely fall off and start losing games by multiple scores and the team gives up. I just don't see TA making the change this year.
I agree.

I said multiple times this offseason that I've written off 2021, knowing Frost was safe regardless of results.

I've been actually pleasantly surprised by how hard the team's competed and am excited to see the offense with a real quarterback, with actual passing instincts, under center, assuming we have one/can find one.

That's why I qualified my answer, cause I may have been asleep at the time. If it was at Center, wouldn't it have been the little Farniok?
No. It was the elder Farniok. He had practiced at center some at least when Cam was injured and he performed the best in practice. I think he did a decent job at center but he couldn't get to the second level like Cam does. Cam can really move. He's an explosive athlete for his size.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
No. It was the elder Farniok. He had practiced at center some at least when Cam was injured and he performed the best in practice. I think he did a decent job at center but he couldn't get to the second level like Cam does. Cam can really move. He's an explosive athlete for his size.
Then I will submit to your memory. Kudos to Farniok on making the jump, I thought he was too lazy to make a roster.

There is no question that Cam is levels above any other linemen we have. I can't imagine IF NU had 1-2 more guys just a level below him and how much different this running game would look.

Reactions: jsachisler
Then I will submit to your memory. Kudos to Farniok on making the jump, I thought he was too lazy to make a roster.

There is no question that Cam is levels above any other linemen we have. I can't imagine IF NU had 1-2 more guys just a level below him and how much different this running game would look.
2 guys like Cam at guard and things would look a lot better no doubt. Farniok I don't think was lazy but damn he wasn't quick enough to play OT. He was much better at guard. Not a good fit for Frost's offense at all the way his O linemen have to move. It's why Oregon used smaller quicker guys normally on their O line back in the day. The NFL games I watched where Farniok played he was still obviously not quick, but he held his own most of the time. The announcers at one point said, "they drafted him as a project. He's a huge body".

Wil Farniok was too small AND too slow to play. I think he got a few series at center maybe Frost's 2nd year and underwhelmed but at least he delivered the ball to the QB where he could catch it.

ADVERTISEMENT