ADVERTISEMENT

This is not going to be a popular post

mgbreis

Defensive Coordinator
Dec 16, 2004
I feel compelled to write something and to suffer the ensuing abuse. So here goes: I admire the shit out of Luka Garza. Just watching him be so emotional after their loss, it occurs to me that is exactly what we haven't had enough of in either of our major men's sports. I guess there's no way to lose as much as we have and for the players to not get used to it. We need some of those guys who leave their guts on the field/court every time. I know... rah rah blah blah. Anyway, Garza takes a lot of abuse and I admire him.

All right, fire away with the rotten tomatoes. And... Iowa sucks.

I feel compelled to write something and to suffer the ensuing abuse. So here goes: I admire the shit out of Luka Garza. Just watching him be so emotional after their loss, it occurs to me that is exactly what we haven't had enough of in either of our major men's sports. I guess there's no way to lose as much as we have and for the players to not get used to it. We need some of those guys who leave their guts on the field/court every time. I know... rah rah blah blah. Anyway, Garza takes a lot of abuse and I admire him.

All right, fire away with the rotten tomatoes. And... Iowa sucks.
we have plenty of guys involved with the football program who show emotion (exhaustion, frustration, beaten down by life)

If you think seeing a grown ass man bawl like a baby after his team loses is impressive, come check me out after dam near every Husker football game. I'll be in the basement going full Garza.

But seriously, Garza isn't great because he cares more, he's great because he's a 7ft monster and works he ass off at his craft.

If you think seeing a grown ass man bawl like a baby after his team loses is impressive, come check me out after dam near every Husker football game. I'll be in the basement going full Garza.

But seriously, Garza isn't great because he cares more, he's great because he's a 7ft monster and works he ass off at his craft.
Fran did about the least he could have with the talent he was given this year.

I think being "great" requires all of it. The physical attributes, the work ethic and the desire. Sports isn't all measurables. I guess caring and working your ass off are kind of the same thing.

I've always liked Garza and admired the way he made himself into an outstanding player. He's sort of a throwback to the era of college BB when a lot of big men showed up on campus as average-at-best players but got better every year. Now it seems like bigs are expected to be great right away, and if they aren't nobody wants to take the time to develop them.

Last edited:
Reactions: baseball31ne
Garza is definitely a beast. What makes him dangerous is his ability to bury a long range 3. If not for that he would see less minutes per game as he'd have to run an extra 25-30 feet to play defense. Would like to see what the big horse from Loyola Chicago would do against him.

That team was slow and couldn't play d. Garza absolutely made the most out of his abilities, but the rest of the team was not athletic enough to compete with the big boys. Let Garza have his 35 and stop the rest, victory.

Yup.

What is amazing is that 30-40 years ago Garza would be a top 5 pick because of his offense. Now it's very possible that he will go undrafted because he is viewed as being too slow to guard the pick and roll.

Luka Garza? Didn’t Tony Soprano put him on ice? Or was it in The Godfather movies? Strange to see this on a Husker fan board, but loved the Sopranos and the Godfather movies. Also, I miss the Bobfather, speaking of godfathers — and the Bobfather is always relevant here. Iowa fans are strange and never relevant here.

Reactions: bshirt73
Oregon made Garza and his teammates all look slow. Kind of looked like Husker football trying to hang with Miami before they started putting more emphasis on speed!

What is amazing is that 30-40 years ago Garza would be a top 5 pick because of his offense. Now it's very possible that he will go undrafted because he is viewed as being too slow to guard the pick and roll.

So true. Not to mention he can't jump, struggles against athletic big men, and flops all over the floor during games. I seriously don't think he can even dunk and would be shocked if his vert is over 12".

• Haha
Reactions: SWIowahawks
One thing that greatly aids Garza' game is the fact that the B1G officials wouldn't call offensive fouls on him. You're not supposed to be able move guys who have established defensive position. Luckily for him, NBA officiating is atrocious too.

Yeah, Iowa couldn't match Oregon's athleticism.
We could but Fran was too dumb to stick with it. The second “more athletic” team got a six point lead later in the 1st half. Then Fran put in his son who has two torn labrums in his hips and JBo. Oregon went on a huge run to end the half. Then, even though every single Iowa fan was saying that Connor and JBo CANNOT play the second half, he starts then. Oregon went up 15+ just like that. Playing catch up requires defense and Iowa, well, sucks at defense.

We could but Fran was too dumb to stick with it. The second “more athletic” team got a six point lead later in the 1st half. Then Fran put in his son who has two torn labrums in his hips and JBo. Oregon went on a huge run to end the half. Then, even though every single Iowa fan was saying that Connor and JBo CANNOT play the second half, he starts then. Oregon went up 15+ just like that. Playing catch up requires defense and Iowa, well, sucks at defense.
there is no world in which iowa competes with oregon, much less beats them

you were exactly who everyone with a brain thought you were - a totally overrated team which feasted on a weak B1G schedule and got bounced early twice when it mattered

Who let this guy in?...jk. As long as you bag on Iowa its fine with me. Also, Fran has a very punchable face.

Luka is probably the most likable guy on Iowa. Not cocky, doesn’t showboat, and kept coming back when he didn’t need to. The rest can go fly a kite, and Fran drives a Dodge Stratus.

One thing that greatly aids Garza' game is the fact that the B1G officials wouldn't call offensive fouls on him. You're not supposed to be able move guys who have established defensive position. Luckily for him, NBA officiating is atrocious too.

He'll hardly play in the NBA...

Reactions: kruller
He's a situational backup center in the NBA. Which would be great for him. If Mason Plumlee has an NBA career Garza can too. Great shooter, good rebounder, good screener. Not going to be a star but he'll find a role. Or... make millions playing in Europe.

He's a situational backup center in the NBA. Which would be great for him. If Mason Plumlee has an NBA career Garza can too. Great shooter, good rebounder, good screener. Not going to be a star but he'll find a role. Or... make millions playing in Europe.

Mason Plumlee is extremely athletic for his size.....terrible comparison

ADVERTISEMENT