ADVERTISEMENT

This is more than just football

HuskerOH

Senior
Dec 4, 2007
El Ranchito Dominican Republic
I've been saying this for months now, the economics of football is extremely far reaching. Schools lost NCAA TOURNEY MONEY, they can not afford to lose football money. Athletic depts will fold. How much $$ does the athletic dept give the school each year for schollies? If no one is in the parking lots and roaming the streets before the game, how much $$ is lost to businesses and tax revenue to the cities? Most universities are in small towns accross the country and these businesses can not absorb the hit.

The smaller conferences will save $$ because tuition prices support the athletic depts. The Power 5 athletic depts need the $$ from tv and bowl games. The ripple effect on this is enormous.

Reactions: HuskerDubby
not enough people are talking about the impact its having on the emotional/mental state of the citizenry.
so yes, the implications are far reaching.
the closer we can get to normalcy, even if impacted by social distancing and masks, will do great things for the american psyche.
far more damage being wrought than the disease itself.

I thought I read somewhere that about 10 million is given to the school from the athletic department. Half went to something and the other 5 mil went to scholarships or chancellors discretion.

The way I think of this is similar to what is called the "velocity of money" in financial terms.

When a dollar moves through the economy via multiple transactions a day, (passed along from person to person buying and selling services) that dollar could have a velocity of something like say 7dollars. That means it could be involved in 7 different transactions from paying a parking toll in the morning, to being spent on a hair cut later that day in the afternoon, etc.

When you take a 100 million dollar shortfall, and then multiply that by a velocity of 7 (or even smaller number) you can see how it impacts a larger number of things down the line, every day.

Hard to say how badly this will impact the school and city, but I feel like it will be much more than it's dollar amount, simply because of this velocity phenomenon.

I was looking at B1G athletic department financials a few days ago and the one thing that just about every AD across the board did not do was save money. Nearly every school was spending ~99% of the money coming in. We're talking about numbers like $120 million in and $119 million spent. Ohio State actually spent more money than they had coming in.

The surprising thing about Nebraska's breakdown was how much money was spent on extra staff and administration. NU was way above the B1G average in that area. Do not be surprised if you see more staff cuts coming soon.

I was looking at B1G athletic department financials a few days ago and the one thing that just about every AD across the board did not do was save money. Nearly every school was spending ~99% of the money coming in. We're talking about numbers like $120 million in and $119 million spent. Ohio State actually spent more money than they had coming in.

The surprising thing about Nebraska's breakdown was how much money was spent on extra staff and administration. NU was way above the B1G average in that area. Do not be surprised if you see more staff cuts coming soon.
if you dont think there are millions of dollars that can be saved in the neb athletic dept you are crazy. most , like neb, are bloated as a result of keeping up with joneses. we dont complain about it because we like football more than politics. everyone complains about government bloat but football departments are similar. they have been hiring people right and left for more and more small detailed jobs that used to be done by someone else. neb wants to win as much as any school in america. they have been spending as much as anyone to try to do it. now they may? have to pay the price for overspending. its been ridiculous. something needed to put the brakes on spending anyway

if you dont think there are millions of dollars that can be saved in the neb athletic dept you are crazy. most , like neb, are bloated as a result of keeping up with joneses. we dont complain about it because we like football more than politics. everyone complains about government bloat but football departments are similar. they have been hiring people right and left for more and more small detailed jobs that used to be done by someone else. neb wants to win as much as any school in america. they have been spending as much as anyone to try to do it. now they may? have to pay the price for overspending. its been ridiculous. something needed to put the brakes on spending anyway
"Saved" is a misnomer.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I've been saying this for months now, the economics of football is extremely far reaching. Schools lost NCAA TOURNEY MONEY, they can not afford to lose football money. Athletic depts will fold. How much $$ does the athletic dept give the school each year for schollies? If no one is in the parking lots and roaming the streets before the game, how much $$ is lost to businesses and tax revenue to the cities? Most universities are in small towns accross the country and these businesses can not absorb the hit.

The smaller conferences will save $$ because tuition prices support the athletic depts. The Power 5 athletic depts need the $$ from tv and bowl games. The ripple effect on this is enormous.
Academia want to get rid of sports anyway

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT