ADVERTISEMENT

Thinking Outloud About the QB Situation

Huskercjb

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jan 24, 2003
Beatrice, Nebraska
Let's say that Sims has a great season. If that happens, he's likely going to forgo his last season and declare for the draft.

If Smothers doesn't come back, or maybe even if he does, that likely means another portal guy next season or ... maybe the coaches know something we don't about Dylan Raiola.

I've been thinking about this a lot. Dominic Raiola and Alberts likely have a strong connection since they played during the same era even though Trev left before Dom arrived. Alberts isn't stupid and has to know that signing Dylan would be a game changer for the program.

If Raiola commits (or has silently committed) everyone knows there are a number of **** and ***** who will come with him -- especially given Rhule's reputation for putting players in the league.

If Raiola were a silent commit, why keep it a secret? Let's say things don't go as planned this fall and the Huskers don't make the qualitative leap Alberts expects. Decommitting from a second program wouldn't be a good look for Raiola's future.

I understand, of course, that this theory has nothing to do with Thompson leaving. I'm convinced Casey left because he knows he has to have a strong season to have a chance at the next level.

These thoughts are all pure, and perhaps hopeful, speculation on my part. But ... it's the off season and fans with 54 year tenures and active reasoning skills need something to do, right? Right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News