ADVERTISEMENT

Think it is time to tear up the depth chart

HuskerBandGeek

Redshirt Freshman
Jan 1, 2004
It's time for every position to be back up for grabs. Clearly we need some sort of spark and have a need to identify the guys who have the fire in their bellies to be on the field.

Will suck short term but it will pay dividend getting them reps now. If that means seniors ride the pine for youth than so be it.

Reactions: Lee P and Clevinger
It's time for every position to be back up for grabs. Clearly we need some sort of spark and have a need to identify the guys who have the fire in their bellies to be on the field.

Will suck short term but it will pay dividend getting them reps now. If that means seniors ride the pine for youth than so be it.
Actually, now is the time to stick with the guys we have been playing for the most part. These experiments of cleansing the roster rarely work.

Reactions: Catch50 and timnsun
You tear up the depth chart now, you are admitting you were clueless when you put it together 4 weeks ago. I’m not sure how helpful that is. And I don’t think they were clueless 4 weeks ago.

Make changes where you need to make changes, but opening it up for every position shows desperation.

Damon Benning is saying its time to not play the guys who are the problem, even though they are the best ones on the team. Take your lumps, and play the young guys. He is saying the players playing (not all) are either not doing what you tell them to do or not willing to do what you tell them to do. Either way there has to be consequences to their action. Those are his thoughts. Either way Huskers are going to take their lumps.

Reactions: spinner4 and Lee P
Damon Benning is saying its time to not play the guys who are the problem, even though they are the best ones on the team. Take your lumps, and play the young guys. He is saying the players playing (not all) are either not doing what you tell them to do or not willing to do what you tell them to do. Either way there has to be consequences to their action. Those are his thoughts. Either way Huskers are going to take their lumps.

Well, he definitely knows about losing.

Names?

Reactions: huskerfan66
Damon Benning would not be my go to guy to seek info as to how to fix the system. Didn't fare too well as a high school coach as I remember, though he appears to have all the answers on his TV gigs.

I'm not going to make any huge pronouncements based on this game. It sucked, but we were always going to lose this game. We SHOULD have won the first two and for many many reasons we didn't. I'm not going to start questioning whether Frost and staff know what they're doing, because I'm not ready to decide after three games that he is going to fail. Whoever he plays next week, then that's who he plays. Do we think he's consciously playing losers when there are winners sitting on the bench? I don't.

The right side of our OL would be a good guess (our backs get stoned by anyone coming from that direction). Perimeter blockers. Special teams basically.

Not Mo Berry, Bootle, Daniels, Martinez (the guys is tough as nails - I’m amazed he survived), Aaron Williams.

He didn't name names.

Why not?

Most people on boards like this are afraid to criticize the coaches. Just like the media, especially the TV guys, rarely criticize coaches.

You will see it soon enough. There is ZERO possibility Nebraska can win a Big 10 title with this style of offense.

It's the OL, to a certain extent, every play of every drive! We have never had a clean drive that I can remember. Penalties, missed assignments, bad technique, loss of yards, etc... Give the D some rest and allow the D coordinators some time on the sideline to help the players fix problems. We start out behind the 8 ball every damn game.

Reactions: mmunso7
It's the OL, to a certain extent, every play of every drive! We have never had a clean drive that I can remember. Penalties, missed assignments, bad technique, loss of yards, etc... Give the D some rest and allow the D coordinators some time on the sideline to help the players fix problems. We start out behind the 8 ball every damn game.

Good coaches help their offensive lines. Remember Nick Gates two years ago. Riley and his refused to give him some TE help against a first round draft pick DE, Derek Barnett. Barnett was a pretty good contributor on a Super Bowl champ last year.

Why not?

Most people on boards like this are afraid to criticize the coaches. Just like the media, especially the TV guys, rarely criticize coaches.

You will see it soon enough. There is ZERO possibility Nebraska can win a Big 10 title with this style of offense.

I dont know ask him.

Why not?

This is the second time I have seen you say this about the offense, it you're going to spout off nonsense you should at least try to back it up with why...

So we’re taking back all the blackshirts?

This is the second time I have seen you say this about the offense, it you're going to spout off nonsense you should at least try to back it up with why...

East-west. Slow developing. They don't wear down a defense. Next year … no Stanley Morgan. Think about that.

East-west. Slow developing. They don't wear down a defense. Next year … no Stanley Morgan. Think about that.

What magic offense do you want? Everything comes down to two things 1 the biggest issue by far is Oline and 2. No QB. Martinez will be good one day but I think he should have went with GebbiA and brought Martinez along slowly. I thought it was damn tough throwing him to the wolves. At least GebbiA had a year of college practice under his belt and from what I saw he was the better leader if the two due to more established relationships

What magic offense do you want? Everything comes down to two things 1 the biggest issue by far is Oline and 2. No QB. Martinez will be good one day but I think he should have went with GebbiA and brought Martinez along slowly. I thought it was damn tough throwing him to the wolves. At least GebbiA had a year of college practice under his belt and from what I saw he was the better leader if the two due to more established relationships

No magic. But smash mouth football that can wear out and frustrate an offense.

RB's have been the only group who ahve been fairly competent on the offense. WR's have been pretty awful. We had another drop for a big play yesterday and their blocking has been almost unbelievably poor.

If Jackson is one of our 2 best CB's and Lindsay is our best punt returner, our roster is sub-par. I don't understand how our OL and special teams could have actually gotten worse...but they are.
Jackson did a hell of alot better than Bootle yesterday. I agree about Lindsay though. There's no way we couldn't have someone better back there. It's not like he makes good decisions either.

I think our real problem on defense is the inside linebackers combined with our safeties. If we continue to have Dedrick Young out there with the same group of safeties, we're going to give up 50+ point games consistently.

Like all those five stars in the 2019 class.

Oregon sometimes got highly rated linemen, but in general they got very athletic linemen who were often shunned by the programs running more traditional passing attacks. Similarly, our old lines weren't made up of top ranked guys either.

Frost can build a very effective OL FOR HIS SYSTEM without having 1 5-star guy on the roster.

This offense SUCKS. I don't put words in anyone's mouth. don't do it to me.

I would argue "give it time" to get guys in "this offense (you are referring to the system I presume)." Is that what you are saying?

Cuz I don't want to have to rely on guys that drop the ball and can't get separation. I will punt on those guys. Give me guys that can get open and burn in space.

I would argue "give it time" to get guys in "this offense (you are referring to the system I presume)." Is that what you are saying?

Cuz I don't want to have to rely on guys that drop the ball and can't get separation. I will punt on those guys. Give me guys that can get open and burn in space.

not to mention that the guys who aren't getting separation as WR's aren't blocking either

The guys you want aren't sitting on the bench either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT