ADVERTISEMENT

Things to be mentioned during OU game

I can't believe nobody has mentioned "The Game of the Century II" in Lincoln in 1987 between #1 Nebraska and #2 Oklahoma. The week before that game, OU starting quarterback Jamelle Holieway tore his anterior cruciate ligament against Missouri. An unknown backup quarterback, Charles Thompson, made his first start against Nebraska and led the Sooners to a stunning 17-7 upset win. Unfortunately, OU came up short against Jimmy Johnson's Miami Hurricanes in the national championship game, losing 20-14. In the 1985, 86 and 87 seasons, Oklahoma's record was 33-3, with all 3 of their losses coming against Miami.

Charles' son, Casey Thompson, will lead the Huskers into battle against the Sooners this Saturday.
This was my first taste of the despair that comes after a big Husker loss. The kind of game that still stings waking up the next day. Been a lot of those over the years. Remember watching with my late father. I would have been about 9 years old. I credit it as being the game that got me hooked on the Huskers for life.

Reactions: zrob and LVPack
I can't believe nobody has mentioned "The Game of the Century II" in Lincoln in 1987 between #1 Nebraska and #2 Oklahoma. The week before that game, OU starting quarterback Jamelle Holieway tore his anterior cruciate ligament against Missouri. An unknown backup quarterback, Charles Thompson, made his first start against Nebraska and led the Sooners to a stunning 17-7 upset win. Unfortunately, OU came up short against Jimmy Johnson's Miami Hurricanes in the national championship game, losing 20-14. In the 1985, 86 and 87 seasons, Oklahoma's record was 33-3, with all 3 of their losses coming against Miami.

Charles' son, Casey Thompson, will lead the Huskers into battle against the Sooners this Saturday.
Best post in this thread. They will 100% talk about this.

Reactions: LVPack
I found it funny when switzer complained about a blackshirt hiting a oklahoma player trying sooner magic in the end zone in 83...and beating 0u in 87 (broke thompsons leg, in a rainy game) ended along drought of no conferance championship....well for back then anyway

and beating 0u in 87 (broke thompsons leg, in a rainy game) ended along drought of no conferance championship....well for back then anyway

Actually, that was 1988, and Nebraska won 7-3.

Switzer said 'If anyone had told me before the game we would hold Nebraska to seven points, I would have said we would win the game. On the other hand, if anyone had told me we would score only three points, I would have said they would beat the hell out of us."

When Osborne and Switzer shook hands after the game, Switzer said something to the effect of "Now you have to go down to Miami and face those bastards" (I'm paraphrasing, not sure of the exact quote).

Reactions: zrob and redwine65
49-14 and they called the dogs off early 3rd qtr.

I think Venables' philosophy is not to embarrass the other team after the outcome is no longer in question. So from about midway through the 3rd quarter, he just had the backup QB, Davis Beville hand the ball off on basic run plays. I don't think this is necessarily the best philosophy, because if Dillon Gabriel goes down with an injury, Beville is not going to have any experience running the offense under game conditions.

Hell, I'm old enough to remember Tom Osborne keeping Scott Frost in the game to throw a touchdown pass in the fourth quarter of a 73-21 blowout win in Norman over John Blake's 1996 OU team.

I think Venables' philosophy is not to embarrass the other team after the outcome is no longer in question. So from about midway through the 3rd quarter, he just had the backup QB, Davis Beville hand the ball off on basic run plays. I don't think this is necessarily the best philosophy, because if Dillon Gabriel goes down with an injury, Beville is not going to have any experience running the offense under game conditions.

Hell, I'm old enough to remember Tom Osborne keeping Scott Frost in the game to throw a touchdown pass in the fourth quarter of a 73-21 blowout win in Norman over John Blake's 1996 OU team.
Also noticed - BV held his team back during the tunnel walk and then some.

Many teams come in during the tunnel walk and it's disrespectful. I really think BV let us have our moment.

Also noticed - BV held his team back during the tunnel walk and then some.

Many teams come in during the tunnel walk and it's disrespectful. I really think BV let us have our moment.

I'm not sure, but I think a lot of coaches don't even want their team to see the tunnel walk and keep them in the locker room. Venables and the team came out to the end of the tunnel to watch to soak it in, but they did not run out onto the field until Nebraska ran out and played the fight song.

I'm not sure, but I think a lot of coaches don't even want their team to see the tunnel walk and keep them in the locker room. Venables and the team came out to the end of the tunnel to watch to soak it in, but they did not run out onto the field until Nebraska ran out and played the fight song.
Many teams over the years have come out and interruptted it on purpose. Its usually to make a statement.

All good history stuff. I still remember the shock from OU losing in 1959. But BV has now set a new standard. Unless the Huskers can find another Osborne they will be as sad a team as they were in the 1950's. And the last 5 years.

And if you don't get Urban hope you can get Rhule or Aranda. The coaches I was hoping OU would get if it didn't get Venable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT