ADVERTISEMENT

Things to be mentioned during OU game

jozimmer

Walk On
Sep 3, 2005
1) Osborne & Switzer (Osborne retired 25 years ago, Switzer retired 33 years ago)
2) Big 8 conference (dissolved 26 years ago)
3) Black 41 Flash Reverse & Mike Stuntz (used to know his wife as she was in my Psych class before Tommy Lee)
4) Game of the Century w/Johnny Rogers
4) OU/NU BIGXII title game in 2010?
5) OU/NU game from 1997 (69-7) with Frost as QB?
6) OU/NU from 2004 with Jason White setting OU record with 18 pass completions in a row?

What else am I leaving out?

Reactions: Hford
Venables was on the sideline in 2000/2001 so I’d expect some references or clips of those games.

1) Osborne & Switzer (Osborne retired 25 years ago, Switzer retired 33 years ago)
3) Black 41 Flash Reverse & Mike Stuntz (used to know his wife as she was in my Psych class before Tommy Lee)
6) OU/NU from 2004 with Jason White setting OU record with 18 pass completions in a row?

Nothing about Mickey Joseph?

1979 John Havekost and Randy Schleusener

One of my best memories. And there were plenty of them. Rodger's punt return surely one of the Huskers' best. What a great player.
Yes but I bet he ran only a 4.6 forty but was fast in those days.

78 in still the best football game I’ve ever seen.

Reactions: bshirt73
NU's upset win in '78 over a loaded Sooner squad. Probably the best team ever to leave Lincoln with a loss.

NU's upset win in '78 over a loaded Sooner squad. Probably the best team ever to leave Lincoln with a loss.
Possibly, but the year before NU defeated Bear Bryant's Alabama squad in Lincoln.
That Bama team was never challenged except in a close win over number 1 USC. They finished 11-1 and destroyed number 3 Ohio State 35-6. Nu being their only loss.

Reactions: GaRed
No kidding. As great as Billy Sims was that fumble still hurts. But we made up for it in Miami. But probably cost OU a NC.

Reactions: LVPack
Only to lose the next week at home to a loaded Missouri team (James Wilder, Kellen Winslow). I failed a test the week after the OU game and my girlfriend dumped me, so the Missou loss was a perfect end to a really crappy week.

No kidding. As great as Billy Sims was that fumble still hurts. But we made up for it in Miami. But probably cost OU a NC.
There's no question it cost OU the national championship that year. In that game, they fumbled the ball 9 times and lost 17-14.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned "The Game of the Century II" in Lincoln in 1987 between #1 Nebraska and #2 Oklahoma. The week before that game, OU starting quarterback Jamelle Holieway tore his anterior cruciate ligament against Missouri. An unknown backup quarterback, Charles Thompson, made his first start against Nebraska and led the Sooners to a stunning 17-7 upset win. Unfortunately, OU came up short against Jimmy Johnson's Miami Hurricanes in the national championship game, losing 20-14. In the 1985, 86 and 87 seasons, Oklahoma's record was 33-3, with all 3 of their losses coming against Miami.

Charles' son, Casey Thompson, will lead the Huskers into battle against the Sooners this Saturday.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned "The Game of the Century II" in Lincoln in 1987 between #1 Nebraska and #2 Oklahoma. The week before that game, OU starting quarterback Jamelle Holieway tore his anterior cruciate ligament against Missouri. An unknown backup quarterback, Charles Thompson, made his first start against Nebraska and led the Sooners to a stunning 17-7 upset win. Unfortunately, OU came up short against Jimmy Johnson's Miami Hurricanes in the national championship game, losing 20-14. In the 1985, 86 and 87 seasons, Oklahoma's record was 33-3, with all 3 of their losses coming against Miami.

Charles' son, Casey Thompson, will lead the Huskers into battle against the Sooners this Saturday.
That was another great one. OU had a great run from 84-87. With 3 of them in Lincoln. Still can't remember why the Big 12 made OU play in Lincoln two years in a row. But turned out OK for OU fans. Will see if Charles Thompson's son can get some revenge.

That was another great one. OU had a great run from 84-87. With 3 of them in Lincoln. Still can't remember why the Big 12 made OU play in Lincoln two years in a row. But turned out OK for OU fans. Will see if Charles Thompson's son can get some revenge.

It was back to back in '86 and '87 in Lincoln. '86 was the one that looked like it was going to end in a tie, but Holieway hit Keith Jackson on a big strike down the right sideline to set up the game winning field goad.

'87 was the one where Broderick Thomas, Steve Taylor and Tom Banderas talked a lot of smack before the game, knowing that Holieway wasn't going to play. I remember Thomas saying nobody was going to come into their house and beat them twice in a row. Taylor said Nebraska was going to win, and it wasn't even going to be close. Banderas predicted a 42-10 Nebraska win.

Last edited:
They'll replay Mickey getting shoved into the sidelines and him shattering his leg.
Very possible they would show this and bring back some memories of how both Osborne and Switzer recruited Mickey coming out of Louisiana.

Reactions: king_kong_
Was watching the 1990 game but had to go to junior high basketball practice. Huskers got routed.

Was watching the 1990 game but had to go to junior high basketball practice. Huskers got routed.
My friend, a half Indian guy was a huge OU fan gave me so much shit for a year until Keithen McCant and co came back and won 19-14.

10 times if not for terrible officiating
I especially liked the cover-our-asses story the officiating crew made up afterward, about the play already being dead because Phelps had stepped out of bounds at the beginning of the return. They didn't mark the ball at that spot, reset the clock, or do anything to support this notion, and the sideline official comes running in and insists that the ball should be marked at the spot of the hit. But it made for a nice story.

They've beaten us one time since 1987 in Lincoln. They are a great program but we aren't going to lay down for them.

That’s true. Thank goodness for Gary Gibbs, Howard Schnellenberger and John Blake going up against some of the greatest teams in college football history.

Bob Stoops only coached three times in Lincoln, going 1-2 in those games. He lost in 2001 to a Nebraska team that played in the National Championship game. And he lost in 2009 in a season where Nebraska won the Big 12 North, and OU finished the season 8-5 after losing Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford early in the season with a separated shoulder.

Last edited:
Surely they will talk about the rivalry of old, and mention how it was a "respectful rivalry..." They will most definitely discuss how far Nebraska has fallen since joining the Big10, and discuss OU moving to the SEC... But, maybe they can discuss how the rivalry really came to an unfortunate end... Instead of blaming Texas, the formation of the Big 12 and the conferences's divisional split, they should discuss how OU was in the crapper at the time and didn't want anything to do with Nebraska... One school respected the rivalry a little more than the other... While Nebraska begged for an anual game irregardless of the conference set up, "Duckin" Donnie Duncan and the rest of the OU administration did what they thought best for their program and chose money over tradition... End of rivalry and ultimately end of B12...

That before and after OU's victories in the 70's and 80's they were hit with major NCAA violations.

ADVERTISEMENT