ADVERTISEMENT

"They are letting them play" (receiver molestation)

redwine65

Offensive Coordinator
Jun 23, 2010
at the start of the season did the NCAA say it's ok to hang all over receivers down the field?
Im not talking about this game but a lot of games I seen a lot of contact with receivers, is this going to be the rule? Or is each game going to be a guessing game?

Sir, I type this with all the respect I can muster through my fingers:

"Stupid is a helluva drug"

at the start of the season did the NCAA say it's ok to hang all over receivers down the field?
Im not talking about this game but a lot of games I seen a lot of contact with receivers, is this going to be the rule? Or is each game going to be a guessing game?

Somebody posted last week about how our DBs had all these pass breakups. Now you know why. They let DBs do a lot of stuff now. It's like the NBA and how you can pretty much carry the basketball while you dribble now and push off with a straight arm, etc.

Reactions: redwine65
I was watching a&m vs. auburn and the receivers were basically giving piggyback rides

Personally, in general, I don't mind the "let them play" mindset when it comes to that. Hand fighting on both sides, small grabs and such (like what Lamar Jackson did early in the game that Matt Millen whined about), I'm with them calling it loose. Receivers get away with a ton. I've lost count how many times I've seen long pass plays where the defender appears to have good position, only to have the receiver reach out and pull him past him, simultaneously moving the defender out of position and using him to get the leverage to jump for the catch. It's basically never called.

That being said, there is still stuff that should be called that isn't. Grabbing that doesn't seriously impede is fine, but hanging all over isn't. Also, pinning a receivers arms to his body should never be allowed. The defender has a right to the ball, true, but pinning his arms so he can't do anything and using the leverage to also intercept the ball shouldn't be allowed (perfect example, the INT at the end of regulation in the Colorado game. Should have been DPI, plain and simple).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT