ADVERTISEMENT

These HC's are abysmal...

is it true aranda has only been a head coach since 2020?

and that he's .500 (9-9) in Big 12 play?

homer-collar.gif

this is wrong on so many levels. gather round folks let mavsker teach you a lesson

a) not necessarily. frost was making $5 million a year + $15 million buyout = a little north of $35 million. The number that is relevant here isnt the $35 million, it's the $5 million/yr, because the buyout isnt relevant to the quality of a coach. salary is more relevant. so, FALSE
b) FALSE. retention has been bad, recruitment has been just fine. having a top 25 class where most of the good players leave isnt a problem of recruitment, its a problem of retention. a 50th ranked recruiting class that develops and retains its players will probably end up a stronger class than a 10th ranked class that struggles to develop and retain its best players.
c) do you really think we're going to be offering our top candidates less than $5 million/year? doubt it. so, FALSE

its strange because you build up this great case about the importance of an expensive coach who is a great recruiter, then name Callahan, who was both expensive and a great recruiter, and was terrible. nebraska has knocked on the door of top 15 classes even when we have been terrible. start winning more games and put NIL to work and even an average recruiter could pull top 15 classes.
Callahan was a horrible coach… But look at the average recruiting class out of high school for basically any team that has reached the bowl championship series in recent years… They all have a preponderance of four and five star athletes. Talent does matter, we have consistently had mediocre talent best, and we have consistently had a mediocre result. I really don’t think this can be debated, unless you are consider being ranked 20th-30th ‘good’….

I opined on Callahan being the best of our recent coaches in terms of being ABLE to have a dominant team, simply in that the talent he was able to haul was capable of dominance…

we’re not gonna dominate anyone anytime soon with who they’re looking at, IMHO. Oklahoma had better athletes at literally every position this last weekend. We’re not gonna ever change that with the athletes we’ve been recruiting…

Reactions: mavsker
I doubt the new coach will make less than Frost and do not think the motivation here is to save money.
I think the only AD that cared about the bottom line here was Tom Osborne. Trev said in his presser we can pay market rate for a coach. Anything less than $7M a year would surprise me. Brohm at Purdue makes $7M a year.

Disagree with B).

Recruiting has generally been in the 20-25 range. I get the transfers out hurts that ranking, but it is what it is. The bigger issue has been coaching. It has sucked. We need the talented players as well, no doubt, but our coaching has sucked. Big time.
3 out of the last 4 were ranked inside the top 20

Reactions: timnsun
same OC that's helped him to the .500 conference record?

I cannot for the life of me spot the difference between Aranda's resume and frost's?
Pre-Grimes season: 2-7
Grimes season: 12-2

Defense solid regardless, as Aranda's a defensive minded coach. We take Aranda in a heartbeat - IF - he brings Grimes. If not...well, we should just hire Grimes lol

Pre-Grimes season: 2-7
Grimes season: 12-2

Defense solid regardless, as Aranda's a defensive minded coach. We take Aranda in a heartbeat - IF - he brings Grimes. If not...well, we should just hire Grimes lol
No matter the HC, we need to spend money on assistants and get top gun assistants. HC's are great, but having a 250K position coach is not going to cut it. Saban, Meyer, Kirby and all of these guys are national title contenders because their assistants are great and paid well.

No matter the HC, we need to spend money on assistants and get top gun assistants. HC's are great, but having a 250K position coach is not going to cut it. Saban, Meyer, Kirby and all of these guys are national title contenders because their assistants are great and paid well.
Hayden Fry assistant coaches in early days at Iowa::
Barry Alvarez
Kirk Ferentz
Jim Leavitt
Dan McCarney
Bob Stoops
Bill Snyder

Other Fry assistants in 2000's:
Bret Bielema
Chuck Long
Bo Pelini
Mark Stoops
Mike Stoops
Bob Diaco
Jay Norvell

Not propping up the Hawkeyes, but that's a helluva lot of good coaches.

Our hot list should be:

1. Urban
2. Bob Stoops
3. Chris Petersen

3Urban Meyer.854187-32Bowling Green 2001-2002; Utah 2003-2004; Florida 2005-2010; Ohio State 2012-2018
12Dabo Swinney.8065150-36Clemson 2008-present
14Nick Saban (8).803274-67-1Toledo 1990; Michigan State 1995-1999; Louisiana State 2000-2004; Alabama 2007-present
15Bob Stoops.799191-48Oklahoma 1999-2016 and 1 game 2021
17Chris Petersen.7946147-38Boise State 2006-2013; Washington 2014-2019
31Jimbo Fisher.7597117-37Florida State 2010-2017; Texas A&M 2018-present

Hayden Fry assistant coaches in early days at Iowa::
Barry Alvarez
Kirk Ferentz
Jim Leavitt
Dan McCarney
Bob Stoops
Bill Snyder

Other Fry assistants in 2000's:
Bret Bielema
Chuck Long
Bo Pelini
Mark Stoops
Mike Stoops
Bob Diaco
Jay Norvell

Not propping up the Hawkeyes, but that's a helluva lot of good coaches.

Iowa 1983, perhaps the best staff ever assembled with Alverez, Ferentz, McCarney, Snyder, Stoops, and others.

Iowa 1983, perhaps the best staff ever assembled with Alverez, Ferentz, McCarney, Snyder, Stoops, and others.

finished the season 9–3 (7–2 Big Ten), capped by a loss to Florida in the Gator Bowl.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_

Unmatched until Austin, Mario, Held, Lubick, Chinander.

Five eventual HOF coaches on that Iowa staff.
the HOF has much too low a bar if you don't even need to win a national title to get in as a coach

your school not firing you for 3 decades, while an achievement of sorts, is not exactly the pinnacle of sport in my opinion

Reactions: BleedRed78
Shoot me down if I'm wrong here, but it seems like the HC names being floated out there (and it's a bit of a game currently, we all know that) would all result in a cost-savings compared to the $35M we're paying HCSF. That's observation A)
B) we've sucked for a very long time, first and foremost because of lack of Talent. Our recruiting has been middle of the road, usually out of the top 25, and it stands to reason our long-term success would mirror that, and it has.
C) WHY THE F*CK would anyone expect things to change with the hiring of a 'less expensive' head coach? I understand full-well that money does NOT always equate to success on the field, but it IS a factor.

With as frustrated as we all are with mediocrity (if you can even call it that at this point), you'd think the university would be looking for a big name capable of immediately infusing us with the talent we've so sorely lacking.

Can count on one hand the # of home games I've missed since the late 80's, it's been a Religion for me. I'm just about done supporting the program. Can all but guarantee any of the names being floated will be the last straw... we can't afford another experiment. It's sad to say that since Osborne, I think Callahan probably gave us the best chance to be a Great program. He wasn't a great coach, but he did recruit talent.
Any coach we get is more than likely going to be more expensive than Frost. Coaching salaries have continued to go up. When we hired Frost, he was making close to top 10 salary, and when we let him go, he was well outside the top 25. If we're not willing to pay top 10 salary again to get a solid coach, it likely means we've punted on our program. We're not going to attract anyone worth a shit unless we do pay up. It's the cost of doing business of a blueblood program.

Reactions: BleedRed78
N started falling when it left the B12. Husker fans refuse to acknowledge that fundamental. But it won't change the fact.
I think the data shows this to be true.

Things under Pelini were pretty good until we went to the B1G.. then the defense started falling apart and recruiting took a big nose dive as well.. a few cycles later and all the talent was gone.

I have always felt like the B1G was the nail in the coffin for the program, and we actually had a chance to GTFO during the covid year and the administration was too weak to do it.

I would do anything to leave this horrible conference. We don't fit in it anyway.

Reactions: king_kong_
Disagree with B).

Recruiting has generally been in the 20-25 range. I get the transfers out hurts that ranking, but it is what it is. The bigger issue has been coaching. It has sucked. We need the talented players as well, no doubt, but our coaching has sucked. Big time.
Disagree. Most don’t want to admit this, but if you look at the numbers after transfers were between 40 and 45. This isn’t changing with whoever they bring in. Parity hurt Neb more than any school in the country. Kids don’t want to leave home unless you’re on tv, beaches, etc. That isn’t changing.

Disagree. Most don’t want to admit this, but if you look at the numbers after transfers were between 40 and 45. This isn’t changing with whoever they bring in. Parity hurt Neb more than any school in the country. Kids don’t want to leave home unless you’re on tv, beaches, etc. That isn’t changing.
Another mid 3* post

Yawn City; population - everyone who reads this

I think the data shows this to be true.

Things under Pelini were pretty good until we went to the B1G.. then the defense started falling apart and recruiting took a big nose dive as well.. a few cycles later and all the talent was gone.

I have always felt like the B1G was the nail in the coffin for the program, and we actually had a chance to GTFO during the covid year and the administration was too weak to do it.

I would do anything to leave this horrible conference. We don't fit in it anyway.
The huskers play for the UNIVERSITY of Nebraska. We are not leaving a top tier academic conference that has a $90,000,000. pay out to athletic programs and has $100,000,000 of million in academic research grants because our football team can't find success competing in the Conference.

Pelini was probably a better game manager than you give him credit for, his record in one-score games was good. Without looking, I also think he recruited at basically the same level as Frost.
Pelini couldn't adjust. He came in with a plan and if the opposing team did something that he wasn't prepared for, it was a LONG game. Remember the Big 10 Championship, or any number of other games against Wisconsin?

Reactions: headcard
The huskers play for the UNIVERSITY of Nebraska. We are not leaving a top tier academic conference that has a $90,000,000. pay out to athletic programs and has $100,000,000 of million in academic research grants because our football team can't find success competing in the Conference.
How much could we get from the SEC? A lot. Why would a school like Texas which would have been welcomed into the Big 10 in another round of exapansion choose the SEC? Because it's equal money but better for the athletics programs.
I hate to also break it to people, but much like Oklahoma and Alabama, academics at NU will never be what the university is known for. Athletics means a lot to UN and not having top tier athletics programs, especially football, damages the earning power of the university.

Watching the pathetic embarrassment that is the B1G west, reinforces my belief that the Nebraska coach just has to be slightly above average to completely own it. Sadly it'll only exist one more season.

The grant money was recently discussed on this board with people knowledgable on the grant submission process. Academic research grants are NOT tied to the Big Ten conference. You can apply and get those grants by being independent or a member of any other conference. The only positive thing this conference has going for it, is the TV rights deal. That's it.

Edit: here is a link to the discussion on grants. https://nebraska.forums.rivals.com/threads/crazy-rumor-that-will-blow-your-minds.330709/post-7753187

Last edited:
this is wrong on so many levels. gather round folks let mavsker teach you a lesson

a) not necessarily. frost was making $5 million a year + $15 million buyout = a little north of $35 million. The number that is relevant here isnt the $35 million, it's the $5 million/yr, because the buyout isnt relevant to the quality of a coach. salary is more relevant. so, FALSE
b) FALSE. retention has been bad, recruitment has been just fine. having a top 25 class where most of the good players leave isnt a problem of recruitment, its a problem of retention. a 50th ranked recruiting class that develops and retains its players will probably end up a stronger class than a 10th ranked class that struggles to develop and retain its best players.
c) do you really think we're going to be offering our top candidates less than $5 million/year? doubt it. so, FALSE

its strange because you build up this great case about the importance of an expensive coach who is a great recruiter, then name Callahan, who was both expensive and a great recruiter, and was terrible. nebraska has knocked on the door of top 15 classes even when we have been terrible. start winning more games and put NIL to work and even an average recruiter could pull top 15 classes.

I liked Callahan other than we had 0 defense and he wouldn’t do anything about it to protect cosgrove. But calla’s offense and recruiting were quite good.

Just got me thinking. Which was our worst defense. Cosgrove, debacle, or chins ?

Reactions: mavsker
I liked Callahan other than we had 0 defense and he wouldn’t do anything about it to protect cosgrove. But calla’s offense and recruiting were quite good.

Just got me thinking. Which was our worst defense. Cosgrove, debacle, or chins ?
Bohl was a pretty big debacle as well. People forget about that.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
N started falling when it left the B12. Husker fans refuse to acknowledge that fundamental. But it won't change the fact.
Well you better hope the Big 12 survives. Programs like yours doesn't have another option. Nebraska may not be what it was, it probably won't either. But at least they'll have a seat at the table. Your program will be dining with the left behinds at Chuckee -Cheese.

Bowing at the feet of Texas is something Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, and Texas A&M just wouldn't do. Your program would jump at the chance to join the B1G or SEC. Deny that all you want, but it's the truth.

Reactions: leodisflowers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT