ADVERTISEMENT

These HC's are abysmal...

Tetonia

First Team All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Jan 22, 2022
Shoot me down if I'm wrong here, but it seems like the HC names being floated out there (and it's a bit of a game currently, we all know that) would all result in a cost-savings compared to the $35M we're paying HCSF. That's observation A)
B) we've sucked for a very long time, first and foremost because of lack of Talent. Our recruiting has been middle of the road, usually out of the top 25, and it stands to reason our long-term success would mirror that, and it has.
C) WHY THE F*CK would anyone expect things to change with the hiring of a 'less expensive' head coach? I understand full-well that money does NOT always equate to success on the field, but it IS a factor.

With as frustrated as we all are with mediocrity (if you can even call it that at this point), you'd think the university would be looking for a big name capable of immediately infusing us with the talent we've so sorely lacking.

Can count on one hand the # of home games I've missed since the late 80's, it's been a Religion for me. I'm just about done supporting the program. Can all but guarantee any of the names being floated will be the last straw... we can't afford another experiment. It's sad to say that since Osborne, I think Callahan probably gave us the best chance to be a Great program. He wasn't a great coach, but he did recruit talent.

Shoot me down if I'm wrong here, but it seems like the HC names being floated out there (and it's a bit of a game currently, we all know that) would all result in a cost-savings compared to the $35M we're paying HCSF. That's observation A)
B) we've sucked for a very long time, first and foremost because of lack of Talent. Our recruiting has been middle of the road, usually out of the top 25, and it stands to reason our long-term success would mirror that, and it has.
C) WHY THE F*CK would anyone expect things to change with the hiring of a 'less expensive' head coach? I understand full-well that money does NOT always equate to success on the field, but it IS a factor.

With as frustrated as we all are with mediocrity (if you can even call it that at this point), you'd think the university would be looking for a big name capable of immediately infusing us with the talent we've so sorely lacking.

Can count on one hand the # of home games I've missed since the late 80's, it's been a Religion for me. I'm just about done supporting the program. Can all but guarantee any of the names being floated will be the last straw... we can't afford another experiment. It's sad to say that since Osborne, I think Callahan probably gave us the best chance to be a Great program. He wasn't a great coach, but he did recruit talent.
Disagree with B).

Recruiting has generally been in the 20-25 range. I get the transfers out hurts that ranking, but it is what it is. The bigger issue has been coaching. It has sucked. We need the talented players as well, no doubt, but our coaching has sucked. Big time.

Well, I am with you and so are most on trying to make a big splash with an Urban Meyer type. Thins is, Meyer types already are rich and/or make plenty of money now and would really want to coach at Nebraska.
The problem is, we lucked out getting Osborne and have since learned that people aren’t clamoring to coach here.
And with that said, we will have to take what we can get.

this is wrong on so many levels. gather round folks let mavsker teach you a lesson

a) not necessarily. frost was making $5 million a year + $15 million buyout = a little north of $35 million. The number that is relevant here isnt the $35 million, it's the $5 million/yr, because the buyout isnt relevant to the quality of a coach. salary is more relevant. so, FALSE
b) FALSE. retention has been bad, recruitment has been just fine. having a top 25 class where most of the good players leave isnt a problem of recruitment, its a problem of retention. a 50th ranked recruiting class that develops and retains its players will probably end up a stronger class than a 10th ranked class that struggles to develop and retain its best players.
c) do you really think we're going to be offering our top candidates less than $5 million/year? doubt it. so, FALSE

its strange because you build up this great case about the importance of an expensive coach who is a great recruiter, then name Callahan, who was both expensive and a great recruiter, and was terrible. nebraska has knocked on the door of top 15 classes even when we have been terrible. start winning more games and put NIL to work and even an average recruiter could pull top 15 classes.

Reactions: zrob
N started falling when it left the B12. Husker fans refuse to acknowledge that fundamental. But it won't change the fact.
More like when you guys all got on your knees and then bent over and took round 2 of pleasuring Texas and stacking the deck against big bad big red.

Now you've gotten older and don't pleasure uterus like you used too so they left you for someone sexier with more money

I dont buy the talent argument, its been coaching and program philosophy/identity. We are constantly the #4ish recruited team in the B1G. We have only been the #4 team on the field maybe once.

It stems from a lack of identity. Coach to that identity. We need to bring back the trenches, start there. Establish a power running game, work to recruit the top talent at QB and WR and TE, but ALWAYS getting the RBs we need. When we land the bigtime studs, we can have breakout years. Give me Iowa and WI lines, but infuse better QB and WR (which we will land over those schools) and we will be able to compete with OSU.

That doesnt include defense, but whatever the hell we have been trotting out there the last 6 years since Pelini left is not on par with our tradition. There is not a path forward on that side of the ball that will look worse than it has recently. There is only 1 way to go from here. I guess we could stay as the #129 defense, but I just dont see it happening.

To add, on paper, again on paper, Nebraska recruiting classes from 2018-2021 (players that should have been or are contributing) average about 18th on Rivals. Now, I know that doesn’t really mean anything but it shows that Nebraska is still a place where recruiting is shown to be successful, again, on paper, so to speak.

What Frost and his staff did with that so called talent is nothing short of a train 🚂 wreck, and maybe whoever does any legwork on recruiting at Rivals seemed to overrate those classes?

Attrition certainly didn’t help the situation, but it appeared Nebraska was well received by transfer portal players, imagine what a damn good coach and staff would be able to accomplish, but even they will have a ton of work to do to get the train back on the
tracks.

We all hope like heck that the next coach actually elevates Nebraska to a winning program, we’ll have to see what happens.

More like when you guys all got on your knees and then bent over and took round 2 of pleasuring Texas and stacking the deck against big bad big red.

Now you've gotten older and don't pleasure uterus like you used too so they left you for someone sexier with more money
That has nothing to do with what I wrote as a fact. N's precipitous fall began when it left the B12. Many outsiders believe it will never return to Dr. Tom's glory days as a result of that move. The world has since changed.

That has nothing to do with what I wrote as a fact. N's precipitous fall began when it left the B12. Many outsiders believe it will never return to Dr. Tom's glory days as a result of that move. The world has since changed.
Jesus. Are you really that dumb. Nebraska's fall began way before we left the B12. The fall began when Tom retired and we didn't go through a formal coaching search. From there it really crumbled Thanksgiving 2001. After that we had all kinds of administrative issues and that all led to where we are at now. Has nothing to do with our move to the Big 10.

Jesus. Are you really that dumb. Nebraska's fall began way before we left the B12. The fall began when Tom retired and we didn't go through a formal coaching search. From there it really crumbled Thanksgiving 2001. After that we had all kinds of administrative issues and that all led to where we are at now. Has nothing to do with our move to the Big 10.
you don't need to use god's name to make a point that's absurd on its very face. look at the record book.

Imagine if Callahan would have retained Bo from 03 as D coordinator.

I doubt the new coach will make less than Frost and do not think the motivation here is to save money.
maybe I'm wrong but I don't think the Nebraska job aside from being in one of the super conferences is a premium job in the same category as a Michigan, Penn State, OSU, Oklahoma

I think there are serious concerns from an outside perspective about the present day ceiling of the program and it not being aligned with fan base - booster expectations

we are going to have to pay top dollar or perhaps even be willing to overpay to get a big name

look for an unproven coordinator or assistant - G5 other that Fickell - former coach on the rebound (Tom Herman) if we are set on being stingy - it’s a gamble but any of the aforementioned could prove to be fine

Last edited:
this is wrong on so many levels. gather round folks let mavsker teach you a lesson

a) not necessarily. frost was making $5 million a year + $15 million buyout = a little north of $35 million. The number that is relevant here isnt the $35 million, it's the $5 million/yr, because the buyout isnt relevant to the quality of a coach. salary is more relevant. so, FALSE
b) FALSE. retention has been bad, recruitment has been just fine. having a top 25 class where most of the good players leave isnt a problem of recruitment, its a problem of retention. a 50th ranked recruiting class that develops and retains its players will probably end up a stronger class than a 10th ranked class that struggles to develop and retain its best players.
c) do you really think we're going to be offering our top candidates less than $5 million/year? doubt it. so, FALSE

its strange because you build up this great case about the importance of an expensive coach who is a great recruiter, then name Callahan, who was both expensive and a great recruiter, and was terrible. nebraska has knocked on the door of top 15 classes even when we have been terrible. start winning more games and put NIL to work and even an average recruiter could pull top 15 classes.
Firsr of all, stfu about you teaching anybody a lesson.

Second all, you can't even use a captial letter, and thirdly, it's TLDR because as soon as you were espousing teaching a lesson, I typed this response.

What grade are you in?

What grade are you in?
He was held back a few
hillbilly-beverly.gif

Ok OP,
Name some names, who are the splash hires? You say the current names arent, so who?

you don't need to use god's name to make a point that's absurd on its very face. look at the record book.

Look at the coaches and the situation. Bo Pelini basically had basically the same record in both leagues. Go jerk off Adrian as KSU fans know nothing about Nebraska football except for the L's the took from us. It has everything to do with the Administrators in charge that then land the coach, not the league. Our AD's and Chancellors ****ed us for a long time.

Firsr of all, stfu about you teaching anybody a lesson.

Second all, you can't even use a captial letter, and thirdly, it's TLDR because as soon as you were espousing teaching a lesson, I typed this response.

What grade are you in?
I like how you critique my response with a typo in your own message about my typos

"Second all" lol, maybe I should stop reading your stuff? Nope I'm grown up enough to be able to handle typos without getting all worked up about it.

• Haha
Reactions: huntered
Look at the coaches and the situation. Bo Pelini basically had basically the same record in both leagues. Go jerk off Adrian as KSU fans know nothing about Nebraska football except for the L's the took from us. It has everything to do with the Administrators in charge that then land the coach, not the league. Our AD's and Chancellors ****ed us for a long time.
I'm not into jerking off people, being not of your ilk or mindset. N's highest rating was its last year in the B12. Bo coached in both leagues. N's performance fell off precipitously since leaving the B12. That's just fact as shown by its national rankings.

Last edited:
I'm not into jerking off people, being not of your ilk or mindset. N's highest rating was its last year in the B12. Bo coached in both leagues. N's performance fell off precipitously since leaving the B12. That's just fact as shown by its national rankings.
Like I said, you know nothing about Nebraska football, so just shut the **** up. No one gives a shit about your opinion.

Our talent level exceeds our record.

I like how you critique my response with a typo in your own message about my typos

"Second all" lol, maybe I should stop reading your stuff? Nope I'm grown up enough to be able to handle typos without getting all worked up about it.
It's not a typo, it's an omission dumbass.

Grown up? ****, I got neckties older than you.

You are correct.
If you look at all of the coaches we had over the past 25 years you can identify one glaring weakness in each that is a necessary component for putting out a championship calibre team:
Solich: Average to below average recruiter. Good player development. Average game manager. Average coaching staff.
Callahan: Great recruiter. Average to below average player development. Average game management. Below average coaching staff.
Pelini: Poor Recruiter. Good player development. Average to below average game management. Average coaching staff.
Riley: Average recruiter. Poor player development. Average game management. Below average coaching staff.
Frost: Average recruiter. Poor player development. Poor game management. Below average coaching staff (last season was a step in the right direction).

If we want to win 10+ games a year we need to get a coach that can deliver on all 4 measures. I do not see that from the current list unless we get a diamond in the rough.

maybe I'm wrong but I don't think the Nebraska job aside from being in one of the super conferences is a premium job in the same category as a Michigan, Penn State, OSU, Oklahoma

I think there are serious concerns from an outside perspective about the present day ceiling of the program and it not being aligned with fan base - booster expectations

we are going to have to pay top dollar or perhaps even be willing to overpay to get a big name

look for an unproven coordinator or assistant - G5 other that Fickell - former coach on the rebound (Tom Herman) if we are set on being stingy - it’s a gamble but any of the aforementioned could prove to be fine
Personally I think Herman would be a better hire than 90% of the names that are floated out there right now. I'm actually surprised he hasn't yet gotten another HC gig. He was not doing bad at Texas and did great at Houston. Those ties to the Big 10 and Texas would be very useful in recruiting.
To me, I don't know whether Urban Meyer has been contacted yet, but if he wasn't already offered the job Trev needs to go. We need an AD that is dead serious about winning and going after the best he can get.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta

There is no such thing as overpaying a proven winner. Need to get out of that mind set. A winning coach is worth any amount at the end of the day.

You are correct.
If you look at all of the coaches we had over the past 25 years you can identify one glaring weakness in each that is a necessary component for putting out a championship calibre team:
Solich: Average to below average recruiter. Good player development. Average game manager. Average coaching staff.
Callahan: Great recruiter. Average to below average player development. Average game management. Below average coaching staff.
Pelini: Poor Recruiter. Good player development. Average to below average game management. Average coaching staff.
Riley: Average recruiter. Poor player development. Average game management. Below average coaching staff.
Frost: Average recruiter. Poor player development. Poor game management. Below average coaching staff (last season was a step in the right direction).

If we want to win 10+ games a year we need to get a coach that can deliver on all 4 measures. I do not see that from the current list unless we get a diamond in the rough.

Pelini was probably a better game manager than you give him credit for, his record in one-score games was good. Without looking, I also think he recruited at basically the same level as Frost.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Disagree with B).

Recruiting has generally been in the 20-25 range. I get the transfers out hurts that ranking, but it is what it is. The bigger issue has been coaching. It has sucked. We need the talented players as well, no doubt, but our coaching has sucked. Big time.
Most of the transfers out never panned out either. Not a good job of recruiting to fit the needs.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Pelini was probably a better game manager than you give him credit for, his record in one-score games was good. Without looking, I also think he recruited at basically the same level as Frost.
There is a reason all top teams reside for the most part in the SEC. That is were the majority of talented players live. Times have changed and NU has to find a way to get those guys to come up north. Not an easy task. Different climate, different culture, different food and of course when you have a lousy record it does not help

Winner winner chicken dinner. Before going to bad coaching hires, first go to idiotic ADs who hired the coaches.

If you knew God and backed Him up you would use His name and capitalize when referring to Him stud

Reactions: huntered
callahan wasn't the great recruiter, john blake was. we need to know alot more about the coaching staffs for all possible coaches and we need to know before we guarantee 35-50 million. seems like we just haven't learned a lesson about our money as evidinced in our national ranking in payouts to former coaches. give me a young coach with a proven staff, then give them a base salary and an unbelievable incentive contract. let them earn it for a change.

Reactions: bshirt73
Personally I think Herman would be a better hire than 90% of the names that are floated out there right now. I'm actually surprised he hasn't yet gotten another HC gig. He was not doing bad at Texas and did great at Houston. Those ties to the Big 10 and Texas would be very useful in recruiting.
To me, I don't know whether Urban Meyer has been contacted yet, but if he wasn't already offered the job Trev needs to go. We need an AD that is dead serious about winning and going after the best he can get.
That probably tells you all you need to know about Herman, the fact that he hasn’t been hired by anyone else.

I’m always skeptical of guys who can’t win big at places with an abundance of talent and resources. If you can’t win at Texas, USC, etc. how are you going to win at a place like Nebraska?

You can't teach anyone a lesson with you being wrong on everything with Frost. You were the most illogical poster on here about the previous coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT