ADVERTISEMENT

There's a lot of germans in America

I shared the link to Mr Warnekes son. I feel it would be remiss for me to not include that both of his kids are jerks and that nobody loves them

That's my best friends dad. Great guy.

I knew there had to be someone on here that knows him. My job used to take me into North Platte on business a few times a year. I would ask people at a gas station or in a cafe if they knew Mr. Warneke. "Oh yeah, I had him in history" was the quick response. To a person they told me his class was interesting and that when he saw them around town after graduation he recognized them and spoke with them. He is one of a kind!

I knew there had to be someone on here that knows him. My job used to take me into North Platte on business a few times a year. I would ask people at a gas station or in a cafe if they knew Mr. Warneke. "Oh yeah, I had him in history" was the quick response. To a person they told me his class was interesting and that when he saw them around town after graduation he recognized them and spoke with them. He is one of a kind!

He's still living out there. Lost his wife about 10 years ago to alzheimers but in all of the times I've been around him he's just been a joy to be around, always happy and seems to enjoy life.

Wasn’t his son a World-Herald reporter and editor for a while?

No. Must be a different guy

I've known Mr. Warneke since we were 14. He is always positive about life and listens carefully to the person he is with. You have to try hard in order to get him to talk about himself. He was a good athlete in school and always kept active, volunteering his time to his church, the local tennis club and other good organizations. I don't know his sons, but I know they come from good stock.

Uma's hot, but she was not in The Postman.
Who was the female lead in that then? Sigh. You burst my bubble. Googled it. Olivia Williams. Good heavens one would think she would have been a mega star given her attributes. Now I have to figure out which movie it was that I was graced by Uma's fine frontage.

Exactly, I am half Czech and half German decent. Find it hard to believe that Saline county is more German than Czech.
Well you had Wilber areas but you had towns of friend,western,Dorchester,Crete that we’re more mixed than 100% Czech. It would be interesting to see a census from 40 years ago. If you go to Wilber now there sure aren’t many Czechs living in the area anymore

My dad spoke some German, I wish he’d have picked up more from his dad. He said his dad mentioned that it was illegal or some type of legislation to speak German in public during World war 1 you could speak it at home and church, he said that’s why most people didn’t pass the language down to their children and grandchildren.
Not sure about it being illegal. My ancestry is 100% German on paper. However I m sure if I took a DNA test it would say Western or northern European and some eastern. They all jumped fences back in the day plus tribes raped and pillaged a lot.

That said getting back to your initial statement, my Dad said basically the same thing about halting the speaking in German in public during ww 1 and then again on a lesser level during WW2 because there was less spoken by that time. He, my grandma and my aunt spoke fluent German and would do so when they didn't want us kids to know what they were saying. I took 2 years of it in high school which I enjoyed. But man I found out I didn't know my English well. We still sing Christmas carols in German every year when our family gathers on Christmas day

Not sure about it being illegal. My ancestry is 100% German on paper. However I m sure if I took a DNA test it would say Western or northern European and some eastern. They all jumped fences back in the day plus tribes raped and pillaged a lot.

That said getting back to your initial statement, my Dad said basically the same thing about halting the speaking in German in public during ww 1 and then again on a lesser level during WW2 because there was less spoken by that time. He, my grandma and my aunt spoke fluent German and would do so when they didn't want us kids to know what they were saying. I took 2 years of it in high school which I enjoyed. But man I found out I didn't know my English well. We still sing Christmas carols in German every year when our family gathers on Christmas day

I am of mixed ancestry with one set of German great grand parents that immigraged to the US after the civil war. My great grand parents mostly spoke English and did not teach German to their kids as they wanted their kids to speak only English. On occasion though when they wanted to talk about something that they didn't want the kids to know (like Christmas gifts) they would talk in German. The kids learned to shut up and listen during those times and wouldn't you know they picked up German anyway. Kids are sharp. Want them to learn to spell? Do that.

Uma is hot? Yeah, not at all.
Not as much now. She was as a young lady. She's pushin 50 now and gravity has take effect. I never thought she was super hot until I say her topless in some movie I can't remember probably 20 years ago. They were perfect.

My avatar gives it away, but I'm descended from famliy of The Polish-Lithuanian Empire. Some of my ancestors were winged hussars.

In their honor and as a Husker... and a diehard of the Scarlet and Cream: ....

Venimus, vidimus, Deus vincit

Last edited:
Reactions: redwine65
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT