ADVERTISEMENT

There's a lot of germans in America

redwine65

Offensive Coordinator
Jun 23, 2010
I never knew there was so many germans...

European_Ancestry_in_the_US_by_county.jpg

I thought MN was supposed to be mostly Scandinavian.
same here....this is what people said they were from the 2000 census

there's also one blue dot in by cherry county , so either indians or ted turner is claiming to be french...

I think this map is part of a study on how people believe everything they see on the internet.
The map also doesn't tell you whether a county is dominated by one ancestry or if it just happens to be the largest of many. A county could self-report 15% German, 14% Norwegian, 13% Swedish and 12% Finnish, and it still goes in the German category - even though most would consider it Scandinavian.

Reactions: loper and mgbreis
Self reported ethnicity is about as accurate as self-reported genitalia size. Germany is also a conglomeration of 100 or so smaller states, each with their own "ethnic" divisions...Bavarians being different from Prussians. And western germans being much more similar to eastern french than eastern germans. Ethnicity is a mess and a lie...it better to say broadly european, broadly asian, broadly african...

My dad spoke some German, I wish he’d have picked up more from his dad. He said his dad mentioned that it was illegal or some type of legislation to speak German in public during World war 1 you could speak it at home and church, he said that’s why most people didn’t pass the language down to their children and grandchildren.

My dad spoke some German, I wish he’d have picked up more from his dad. He said his dad mentioned that it was illegal or some type of legislation to speak German in public during World war 1 you could speak it at home and church, he said that’s why most people didn’t pass the language down to their children and grandchildren.
My mother's birth certificate is written in German from her little country church in North Dakota. They did it by hand in beautiful colored ink calligraphy. Sprechen zie deutsche?

this post was brought to you by someone who is 1/4 danish, english, irish and german. so I don't really have an agenda, the line across the confederates and union is interesting

Ummm....no. Uma Thurman? Youbetcha. Did you see Uma in the Postman with Costner. I believe that she has perfect breasts. She gets a perfect udder score from me.......
Uma's hot, but she was not in The Postman.

Have German family in Norfolk and Pierce

I grew up in the village between the two. I would guess that at least 90% of the population in this area was German or German-Russian at the time. German-Russian were people who immigrated to Russia from Germany and then immigrated to the US. They were German by blood and by language.

2 points to add.

1) It doesn't say self reported from a census which would help credibility.
This could be self-reporting collected from those DNA company's who are collecting data on their customers. So that information as good as their customer base. How good is that? If they are the only customer in a county and they pick out just one of their grandparents. That would color that whole county as German!

2) This is a direct result of Germany bombing Pearl Harbor. :Cool:

2 points to add.

1) It doesn't say self reported from a census which would help credibility.
This could be self-reporting collected from those DNA company's who are collecting data on their customers. So that information as good as their customer base. How good is that? If they are the only customer in a county and they pick out just one of their grandparents. That would color that whole county as German!

2) This is a direct result of Germany bombing Pearl Harbor. :Cool:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Americans

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT