ADVERTISEMENT

Theory for struggling/out of sync offense

Time to stop looking at Jucos for RB. When was the last time that worked out? Rosier in the early 80’s?

If I recall, Marlon Lucky had almost 100 catches one season.

UCF has a much lighter schedule than NU has..

I was just comparing the first 2 games. Our first two games were against South Alabama and Colorado, a team that had just given up 500 yards to Colorado St.

I would argue that these two defenses could be considered "light" therefore a reasonable comparison.

As far as the offensive line, yes interior line blocking has been bad. But Martinez had time to throw against CU, many of the sacks were after 3 seconds. Even the one where he fumbled was probably 5 seconds.

Very reasonable theory, teams can double up on JD and no other WR is going to hurt them.

I also don't think Adrian trusts any receivers other than JD and Washington out of the backfield.

Stoll needs to be more consistent and become a threat.

What? I think he's caught everything thrown his way. Does he have some drops I don't know about?

What? I think he's caught everything thrown his way. Does he have some drops I don't know about?
there was one on a third down play that he let the defender push him around that would have been a first down if he used his body better and caught the pass.

Reactions: SC_'sker
Or bottom line. Our talent is way below par-which it is. And our coaching is a little star-struck because this is not a lower -level CBF team? We MIGHT get there in 2 or three years. However, the progress is taking a little bit longer than 5 million hoped for and was promised. Yeah. Promised is a strong word, however, our team appears like it has regressed from a 4-8 season. Who knows? Maybe we will win out and win the west. From what I have seen, there is no way in hell. We shall see.

Last edited:
I never liked the idea of recruiting jucos at the rb position. There are freshman rb's that come in right away all the time and produce. There's really no reason you need to go after juco rb's.

Most of our problems on offense are due to the lack of an inside running game, and poor vision of the qb in seeing the field and poor protection.

The receivers aren't the main problem in the offense, but they're certainly not helping matters. They're getting open at times and AM isn't seeing them, but I've also seen a lot of lazy routes or guys just giving up on routes and giving up on plays. Too many times I've seen guys just standing there when they've finished their initial route tree. But if the play is still going, you got to find some open space and bail the qb out.

The blocking by the receivers has also been poor, just guys being lazy and not giving a lot of effort.

Love Martinez. However the hype should be in one or two year and certainly not now. He is regressing as with the team. NO!!! the defense has shown improvement!!! Giving up 34 points in a half? Stop it here.

Our offense was one dimensional simply because we couldn't run the ball.
that was the game plan for both teams we have played so far.. they load the box and it isn't like that hasn't been the game plan against nebraska for years.

Mills is better at getting tough yards inside than Mo is, that is for sure. That only leaves perimeter runs and deep routes. We don't see much intermediate stuff, as that is where the interceptions happen.

Reminds me of the game plan against TA during Bo's years, but that guy was a much better QB all around, and we had line issues and guys falling on their asses before the ball was even snapped.

Reactions: red scowl
I apologize for my part in that. Koolaid was too good this offseason. Shoulda known better.
I was right there with you. So were a lot of people.

I really think the problem begins with our offensive line. We have zero interior running game and very little perimeter running game. With no running threat teams are free to drop seven into coverage. With no running threat, linebackers are not tempted to cheat closer to the line and are thus more able to cover the crossing routes and the occasional tight end chipping then releasing. People forget how damn important it is to be able to run the ball.

Oh... and our lack of offensive line surge on running plays is also probably why we have seen very, very few true zone read plays.

I know Jurgens is new to the position of center but all the other guys were recruited or walked on for their particular position.

I can't fathom how they could possibly be this bad. Is the coaching/scheme/technique deficient? Is the 600 lb quarter squats not making war daddy's?

We couldn't run vs. the last two defenses, bad defenses.They don't figure that out we're done. Anyone have answers?

sorry op, didn't think we needed another thread looking for answers.

ADVERTISEMENT