ADVERTISEMENT

Theory for struggling/out of sync offense

Red_Symptoms

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 30, 2016
WR production is very low. I posted earlier that we could be missing Morgan Jr more than we realize. Here are some numbers:

Through 2 games:

Spielman - 7 catches
Wandale - 6 catches
McQuitty - 1 catch

No other WR's have a reception...a combined 15 catches for the position.

I compared that to UCF's season in 2017 in the first two games and they had 7 different receivers with 31 receptions.

My theory is that Frost's offense is being a bit handcuffed right now because we don't have the talent at the position that he needs. I wasn't at the game so it's hard to know what's going on downfield but I haven't seen Noa get any separation and other than Spielman or Wandale nothing is happening. And Wandale, as talented as he is, had a huge drop today.

Those moments when AM is just standing in the pocket waiting...maybe no one is getting open? Would love to see the coach's film point of view to see what's going on downfield. Regardless, he needs to develop that 6th sense to feel the pressure and either run or get rid of it. Huge fumble and sack today really killed us.

Last note, UCF also had 3 TE's with at least one catch.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
WR production is very low. I posted earlier that we could be missing Morgan Jr more than we realize. Here are some numbers:

Through 2 games:

Spielman - 7 catches
Wandale - 6 catches
McQuitty - 1 catch

I compared that to UCF's season in 2017 in the first two games and they had 7 different receivers with 31 receptions.

My theory is that Frost's offense is being a bit handcuffed right now because we don't have the talent at the position that he needs. I wasn't at the game so it's hard to know what's going on downfield but I haven't seen Noa get any separation and other than Spielman or Wandale nothing is happening. And Wandale, as talented as he is, had a huge drop today.

Those moments when AM is just standing in the pocket waiting...maybe no one is getting open? Would love to see the coach's film point of view to see what's going on downfield. Regardless, he needs to develop that 6th sense to feel the pressure and either run or get rid of it. Huge fumble and sack today really killed us.

I said that Stan was a huge loss and wouldn't be easily replaced. I was shouted down by the Cleti and told that Noa was some all-american and was going to dominate.

Through 2 games:

Spielman - 7 catches
Wandale - 6 catches
McQuitty - 1 catch

they need to start broadcasting in ultrawide resolution so we can see down field.

Reactions: Sinomatic

Through 2 games:

Spielman - 7 catches
Wandale - 6 catches
McQuitty - 1 catch

Good theory, sure makes sense.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I always thought this was supposed to be a power run out of the shotgun.

Kind of saw it last year.

I don’t know if we will see it this year

Very reasonable theory, teams can double up on JD and no other WR is going to hurt them.

I also don't think Adrian trusts any receivers other than JD and Washington out of the backfield.

Stoll needs to be more consistent and become a threat.

Reactions: timnsun
I agree that the team misses the steady play of Morgan, Ozigbo and maybe even Warner, who were probably bigger factors in Martinez’s success last year than most realized at the time.

But isn’t the offense’s biggest problem its Sun Belt-caliber offensive line?

Very reasonable theory, teams can double up on JD and no other WR is going to hurt them.

I also don't think Adrian trusts any receivers other than JD and Washington out of the backfield.

Stoll needs to be more consistent and become a threat.

Stoll isn't athletic enough to create mismatches or hurt teams downfield. I think they were hoping Legrone could be that guy (and Hickman in the future)

Our major problem is the OL and it has a huge trickle down effect on the offense. Just have to be patient as there's a light at the end of the tunnel with some true freshman and verbal commits. I believe Austin is a good coach and we'll resurrect the "Pipeline" soon!

Stoll isn't athletic enough to create mismatches or hurt teams downfield. I think they were hoping Legrone could be that guy (and Hickman in the future)

I'd just like for him to use 6'4" 250 lbs to shield DBs behind him that he outweighs by 60lbs. Im not even necessarily asking for him to create a mismatch

Also, a drag route over the middle for a 10 yard pick up set up by actually faking a hand off would be nice

WR production is low? How about RB? Dedrick Mills 23 carries for 68 yards. If he’s even in the rotation in November, we are probably in big trouble.

Time to stop looking at Jucos for RB. When was the last time that worked out? Rosier in the early 80’s?

Through 2 games:

Spielman - 7 catches
Wandale - 6 catches
McQuitty - 1 catch

It's an interesting theory. But, if it is true than it is really worrisome. UCF has a much lighter schedule than NU has. It is not surprising that wide receiver numbers would be much higher.

However, this would point to an issue with either a scheme or talent problem. The way the team played today makes this a tough problem to pinpoint. The play and coaching in the first half was really good. In the second half, it was as if we were witnessing a different team.

WR production is low? How about RB? Dedrick Mills 23 carries for 68 yards. If he’s even in the rotation in November, we are probably in big trouble.

Time to stop looking at Jucos for RB. When was the last time that worked out? Rosier in the early 80’s?

Again, the OL is atrocious. Bo Jackson in his prime would get 3ypc behind this line.

I'd just like for him to use 6'4" 250 lbs to shield DBs behind him that he outweighs by 60lbs. Im not even necessarily asking for him to create a mismatch

Also, a drag route over the middle for a 10 yard pick up set up by actually faking a hand off would be nice

He's not fast or athletic enough to do much of that. It's not like he's some 6'7" guy with hops that can just post up.

So Mo Washington is a better back then Bo Jax? Cause he’s got 5.5 yards per carry behind this line.

No he's getting 5.5 ypc when he doesn't run behind our line. Most of his gains come from runs to the outside.

UCF had a QB who wasn't scared and could read defenses.

Maybe we should pay the guy to come here. Time to roll out the Big Ten cash money.

I have a hard time believing Milton wouldn't be shitting his pants against the Big Ten if he did come here. One difficult game a year is one thing. Nine? Good luck, Mr. Milton.

No he's getting 5.5 ypc when he doesn't run behind our line. Most of his gains come from runs to the outside.

Oh, OK!!!

So Bo Jax wasn’t good enough to bump it outside?!?

OR Mills isn’t good enough for this team cause he can’t make nothing out of something?

Haha touche.

The point is that Mills gets the ball on runs between the tackles (mostly). I was just trying to drive home the point that no RB would have much success running between the tackles with our OL playing like it is.

I honestly think it’s both. Mills isn’t very good and the O-Line is struggling

Martinez is not getting the ball off to receivers quick enough, therefore it limits how explosive they can be in this offense. I saw more than a few times Martinez either dialed into the receiver way to early, letting the defense know where he was going with the ball or holding onto it until the db recovered and was ready to make the tackle after the catch.

In short, Martinez's playing like a HS qb hurt both the playmakers ability to bust big plays AND made it simpler for the defense to stop the run since the offense was so one dimensional.

Martinez is not getting the ball off to receivers quick enough, therefore it limits how explosive they can be in this offense. I saw more than a few times Martinez either dialed into the receiver way to early, letting the defense know where he was going with the ball or holding onto it until the db recovered and was ready to make the tackle after the catch.

In short, Martinez's playing like a HS qb hurt both the playmakers ability to bust big plays AND made it simpler for the defense to stop the run since the offense was so one dimensional.

Our offense was one dimensional simply because we couldn't run the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT