ADVERTISEMENT

The way the Playoffs should be decided

f00tball_fan

Walk On
Aug 18, 2006
i have said this for years upon years and I will maintain it. We need less PEOPLE deciding and have actual play on the field determine who gets in. There are flaws in any way to do this but I think there is a best way.

1. Only conference champions can be selected. The only reason this is not a rule is because they want to get matchups that will garner more TV ratings.

2. We all love the polls. It is entertainment. It gets us talking in the off-season. Bragging rights. Ya da ya da. Fine keep them. But they take a backseat to championships. Use the polls and select the 4 highest ranked teams.

3. This year, the teams in would be Clemson, OU, Georgia, and Ohio State. You can try to make a case for other teams, but this would put in place a system where people don’t decide. You go into these games knowing what needs to be done and knowing what a victory or a loss means.

5. Common criticism that always comes up: But then some 8-4 team will make it into the playoffs. No it won’t. I have ran this scenario back through the past 15 years. I couldn’t find a single time this happened. It was almost always undefeated or 1 loss teams with a couple 2 loss teams and maybe a single 3 loss team in a crazy year. But if this happens no at large can complain. They knew what they needed to do to get in and didn’t get it done. The game took them out, not some biased media or coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT