ADVERTISEMENT

The toughest Nebraska player of all time

Suhrreal

Defensive Coordinator
Jun 1, 2009
Was watching some of the '95 Orange Bowl and Cris Collinsworth called Abdul Muhammad the toughest Husker of all time. Apparently played a game after some broken ribs punctured his liver. Was also shot in a drive-by shooting in Compton.

I had also forgotten how many big catches this guy made in that game against Miami's "Florida speed." Very underrated Husker from that era.

Was watching some of the '95 Orange Bowl and Cris Collinsworth called Abdul Muhammad the toughest Husker of all time. Apparently played a game after some broken ribs punctured his liver. Was also shot in a drive-by shooting in Compton.

I had also forgotten how many big catches this guy made in that game against Miami's "Florida speed." Very underrated Husker from that era.

If I'm not mistaken I believe he broke those ribs in the 1994 Orange Bowl against FSU.

There has been a lot of tough suckers to play for NU. I'd have to put Schlesinger up there though.

He graduated in 94. I’d go with brook, trev, and rozier. Brook played most of 94 season hurt, trev had the cast on his arm in the 94 orange bowl believe he had 5 sacks of Charlie ward, mike rozier had a hip pointer wasn’t supposed to play in a game against Missouri, Nebraska was struggling offensive, he came in the game and basically beat Missouri by himself

Reactions: saluno22
He graduated in 94. I’d go with brook, trev, and rozier. Brook played most of 94 season hurt, trev had the cast on his arm in the 94 orange bowl believe he had 5 sacks of Charlie ward, mike rozier had a hip pointer wasn’t supposed to play in a game against Missouri, Nebraska was struggling offensive, he came in the game and basically beat Missouri by himself

He did graduate in 94, but technically played in the 95 Orange Bowl again the U.

Reactions: zrob
Eric Crouch almost had his head ripped off while playing for Nebraska. His throwing shoulder was punished with all of the quarterback runs and lowering the shoulder hits he took as a quarterback.

However, he also delivered some punishment as well...take that Iowa.

He has to be strongly considered. Winking

giphy.gif

1998-game-11-photo.jpg

Last edited:
Eric Crouch almost had his head ripped off while playing for Nebraska. His throwing shoulder was punished with all of the quarterback runs and lowering the shoulder hits he took as a quarterback.

However, he also delivered some punishment as well.

He has to be strongly considered. Winking

giphy.gif

1998-game-11-photo.jpg

Man, the K-State exorcist-esque 180 head twist was awful to watch. Then to see no flag made history as one of the worst, most obvious non-calls of all time.

Different conversations on what defines toughest.

Maybe this should be broken down by position?

Let's start...

QB: Berringer's collapsed lung, Eric Crouch both took a beating and delivered them. Zac Taylor and the guy in Riley's final season (Jerry Jones called him the "turnover machine") took a beating as well.
IB: Clinton Childs
FB: Schlesinger
WR: Adbul. I don't think there's much debating that.
TE: ???
OL: So many guys that fought through injury. Ricky Henry. Incognito definitely is up there. Raiola was tough as nails.
DE: Wistrom and Tomich.
DT: Pick a Peter Brother. Suh.
OLB: Trev Albert in 1993 after dislocating his elbow against OU and dominating against FSU. Putting him at LB rather than DE since he won the Butkus.
ILB: Tom Novak
CB: Barron Miles. Dude was a nasty mighty mite.
S: Toby Wright
K: Josh Brown
P: Erstad. He played hockey as a kid, I'm sure he got into some fights.

When LP broke into Frost’s apartment, assaulted his ex-girlfriend, dragged her by her hair down several flights of stairs and smashed her head into a mailbox, I couldn’t believe Frost didn’t intervene. But as history played out, LP was a homicidal maniac, and thereby gets my vote as toughest Husker all-time. Not to say I couldn’t have my mind changed if a guy like Incognito continues to do “interesting” things. Just wanting to chop off his deceased dad’s head isn’t something an average animal could stomach.

A good argument could be made that incognito was the toughest. Phillips was one of the more dangerous guys but if I had to choose between the two in a fight I go with richie. Raiola is another guy I wouldn't mess with. Toughest doesn't totally equate to most aggressive though, so I'm gonna say either Kevin Raemakers or Wayne Mehlen. Maybe Kenny Walker, but if I need a guy to have my back to keep me from getting hit with a chair he probably isn't going to hear it coming so might not be the best bodyguard. Marc Munford played through a lot of pain too, but it's not like he ended up being an MMA fighter and nobody is really intimidated by a guy who sells insurance or real estate.

Reactions: saluno22
A good argument could be made that incognito was the toughest. Phillips was one of the more dangerous guys but if I had to choose between the two in a fight I go with richie. Raiola is another guy I wouldn't mess with. Toughest doesn't totally equate to most aggressive though, so I'm gonna say either Kevin Raemakers or Wayne Mehlen. Maybe Kenny Walker, but if I need a guy to have my back to keep me from getting hit with a chair he probably isn't going to hear it coming so might not be the best bodyguard. Marc Munford played through a lot of pain too, but it's not like he ended up being an MMA fighter and nobody is really intimidated by a guy who sells insurance or real estate.
Don't forget Scott Baldwin. Didn't it take like 3 or 4 Huskers to hold him down after his episode. Sad story

Wayne Meylan

Man it's impressive how many of the votes are going to guys on those mid-90's teams.

As for Schlesinger, key in on him during that Orange Bowl. You really have to give Miami's defense credit. They were an extremely physical and hard-hitting defense. You think of Ray Lewis with that team but Miami had some other LBs that were dishing out some big-time punishment. Not sure who it was but one of their LBs met Schlesinger head-on in the hole and put him down. Schlesinger got the last laugh though!

Don't forget Scott Baldwin. Didn't it take like 3 or 4 Huskers to hold him down after his episode. Sad story

Yeah he kicked the crap out of that one tiny dog and defenseless woman. Not sure if he gets more or less points while doing it naked though.

Dude was a loser, mental illness or not.

Man it's impressive how many of the votes are going to guys on those mid-90's teams.

As for Schlesinger, key in on him during that Orange Bowl. You really have to give Miami's defense credit. They were an extremely physical and hard-hitting defense. You think of Ray Lewis with that team but Miami had some other LBs that were dishing out some big-time punishment. Not sure who it was but one of their LBs met Schlesinger head-on in the hole and put him down. Schlesinger got the last laugh though!

Another guy that comes to mind that I heard nobody messed with was Toniu Fonoti. And why would you when the guy was 6'4" 350 (allegedly).

Reactions: Bugeater

Zac Taylor gets a vote from me.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Jammal Lord probably took more hits than any QB ever has at Dear Ol Nebraska U.

And dude always got right back up. J. Lord has to be one of the toughest Husker players of all time. He also took a lot of heat from our own dam fans...he took on a lot as our starting QB and he always came right on back and kept on playing hard.

1995 OB Opening Kickoff
Although Schlesinger would score the go ahead and winning touchdowns in that game, his best memory of that game was on the opening kickoff. “As the kick returner ran the ball back, I hit the one coverage guy so hard that he was instantly knocked out,” he said. In his autobiography, NFL Hall of Famer Warren Sapp who was a member of the Hurricanes that day, wrote that they were not intimidated at all by Nebraska until they saw how hard Cory hit his teammate on that opening kickoff.

Opening kickoff is about a minute and a half in...

Reactions: newAD

He was a warrior definitely witnessed this kids talent. Tuff as nails he played in the days of some real all big Eight headhunters and got lit up a lot. But always made the huge game changing plays. Fryar Muhammad Johnny Rodgers 3 greatness W4L in Husker history. Others of note Anthony slick Steels Nate Turner Kenny Cheathum Morgan And JD

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT