ADVERTISEMENT

The surest way to attract an elite defensive coordinator

or offensive coordinator for that matter is to hire them as your head coach

5 million per year will attract a lot more candidates than 1 million per year

I do think there is something to be said for having a head coach who has proven to be an elite coordinator
you then have 2 coordinators on one side of the ball for film review - game planning - in game adjustments etc

Kirby Smart and Ryan Day are both heavily involved in their side of the ball from their coordinator days

you then have 5-6 million dollars invested in one side of the ball at the coordinator level

this is not to say that a position coach like Mickey can't be successful - just another angle which I'm sure is not lost on Trev
MONEY

Then you have no knowledge of what it takes to win in college football. For every successful CEO type coach(Dabo) there are far more coaches that are heavily invested with an expertise on one side of the ball or the other. Mickey was an expert in getting Orgeron fired. He is not HC material and it will be the continued death of Nebraska football if he is given the job longterm.
How do you know?

Reactions: jsachisler
I don’t want an elite OC or DC as HC. I want a CEO that manages an entire program and hires the elite OC, DC and every other staff position. And fires them when they aren’t getting the job done.

I don’t want my CEO micromanaging, I want him leading and setting the example.

An example of that is MJ. Whether he is your choice or not, how he is leading is what we should be looking for.
It can be done either way

Money is the easy answer. Every program that thinks they can compete at a high level has money to match. Hell from what I've heard we won't be offering top of the nation money for the head Coach.
Honestly I’m not sure that we have to have an “elite” DC. Is there even such a thing in college football anymore? They all seem to end up head coaches pretty quickly. Get a good guy who recruits his ass off. Gimme Jimmies and Joes.

We hit the daily double with Chin. Was a crappy recruiter and a crappy DC. People fail to recognize how ridiculous his scheme was.

Reactions: Walleye79
or offensive coordinator for that matter is to hire them as your head coach

5 million per year will attract a lot more candidates than 1 million per year

I do think there is something to be said for having a head coach who has proven to be an elite coordinator
you then have 2 coordinators on one side of the ball for film review - game planning - in game adjustments etc

Kirby Smart and Ryan Day are both heavily involved in their side of the ball from their coordinator days

you then have 5-6 million dollars invested in one side of the ball at the coordinator level

this is not to say that a position coach like Mickey can't be successful - just another angle which I'm sure is not lost on Trev
I was thinking hookers and blow, but cash money works too!😂😂

Could we get any of the following?

Muschamp?
Glenn Schumann?
Derek Mason?
Jim Knowles?
Zach Arnett?
I imagine Muschamp doesn't leave Georgia for anything less than a HC job, though that would be a terrific hire.

Don't know much about Schumann other than he's the other DC at Georgia. looks like he makes $800k/year, a number we could nearly double.

don't think we want Derek Mason. I've gone to a number of OkSt games this year, and the defense looks much worse than it did under Knowles. they currently sit at 86th in scoring defense.

lets be honest, Nebraska is a step down from Ohio State. Knowles doesn't leave unless its a HC offer with a significant pay increase.

Arnett is certainly intriguing. I would 100% be on board with him or Ryan Walters from Illinois.

I imagine Muschamp doesn't leave Georgia for anything less than a HC job, though that would be a terrific hire.

Don't know much about Schumann other than he's the other DC at Georgia. looks like he makes $800k/year, a number we could nearly double.

don't think we want Derek Mason. I've gone to a number of OkSt games this year, and the defense looks much worse than it did under Knowles. they currently sit at 86th in scoring defense.

lets be honest, Nebraska is a step down from Ohio State. Knowles doesn't leave unless its a HC offer with a significant pay increase.

Arnett is certainly intriguing. I would 100% be on board with him or Ryan Walters from Illinois.
Yep. My point is there are really good coordinators out there that would definitely entertain coming here. Just need to pony up a little cash and go try and get someone.

Look at like this: draw a circle around all elite OC/DC and another circle around elite HC. I don’t believe the HC circle lies 100% in the OC/DC circle. You want find the guys in that intersection, and yes, many of them will also be elite OC/DC.
Guys who are good at their jobs tend to be good at other jobs. As a former employer I can vouch for that. Hire smart people who will work their ass off.

Reactions: jamsand

What would be so terrific about Muschamp? He failed at Florida which should be an easy place to succeed at given the amount of talent they have.

ADVERTISEMENT