ADVERTISEMENT

The surest way to attract an elite defensive coordinator

Redmich

Senior
Jun 21, 2022
or offensive coordinator for that matter is to hire them as your head coach

5 million per year will attract a lot more candidates than 1 million per year

I do think there is something to be said for having a head coach who has proven to be an elite coordinator
you then have 2 coordinators on one side of the ball for film review - game planning - in game adjustments etc

Kirby Smart and Ryan Day are both heavily involved in their side of the ball from their coordinator days

you then have 5-6 million dollars invested in one side of the ball at the coordinator level

this is not to say that a position coach like Mickey can't be successful - just another angle which I'm sure is not lost on Trev

I don’t want an elite OC or DC as HC. I want a CEO that manages an entire program and hires the elite OC, DC and every other staff position. And fires them when they aren’t getting the job done.

I don’t want my CEO micromanaging, I want him leading and setting the example.

An example of that is MJ. Whether he is your choice or not, how he is leading is what we should be looking for.

An elite DC or OC already has a better resume than Mickey who was a position coach and then a failed Associate Head Coach at LSU. Jim Knowles wouldn't be my first choice, but he would be a better hire than Mickey.

Reactions: FissionReaction

I do think there is something to be said for having a head coach who has proven to be an elite coordinator
you then have 2 coordinators on one side of the ball for film review - game planning - in game adjustments etc

Kirby Smart and Ryan Day are both heavily involved in their side of the ball from their coordinator days

you then have 5-6 million dollars invested in one side of the ball at the coordinator level

this is not to say that a position coach like Mickey can't be successful - just another angle which I'm sure is not lost on Trev
How is that working out for OU?

I don’t want an elite OC or DC as HC. I want a CEO that manages an entire program and hires the elite OC, DC and every other staff position. And fires them when they aren’t getting the job done.

An example of that is MJ. Whether he is your choice or not, how he is leading is what we should be looking for.
Then you have no knowledge of what it takes to win in college football. For every successful CEO type coach(Dabo) there are far more coaches that are heavily invested with an expertise on one side of the ball or the other. Mickey was an expert in getting Orgeron fired. He is not HC material and it will be the continued death of Nebraska football if he is given the job longterm.

• Haha
Reactions: baseball31ne

fair enough

the vast majority of elite head coaches were one-time elite coordinators or prior successful head coaches - who remain heavily involved in their side of the ball early on until they fully trust their coordinator and then back off

Last edited:
Everyone thought SF was an elite OC... Just sayin
And everyone also thought Lincoln Riley and Ryan Day were too, and they are both great Head Coaches. Nick Saban had the top defense in the NFL during his last year as an NFL coordinator. Josh Heupel was a great OC and now has turned around Tennessee.

Joseph on the other hand was a failed Associate HC at LSU and a position coach. If you want Mickey Joseph to be the HC, you 100% deserve to have your fandom questioned. Not even Iowa trolls are stupid enough to suggest something so laughably detrimental to the future of Nebraska football.

I think you are missing my point. Leading a team, being the head guy, requires a hell of a lot more than your ability at X’s and O’s. You have to have leadership qualities. The ability to lead, manage, strategize, make difficult decisions, work with others outside your team.

Being a good OC/DC doesn’t automatically mean you have all those qualities. Just because you are good at one job doesn’t mean you will be great at the next level.

Reactions: king_kong_
I think you are missing my point. Leading a team, being the head guy, requires a hell of a lot more than your ability at X’s and O’s. You have to have leadership qualities. The ability to lead, manage, strategize, make difficult decisions, work with others outside your team.

Being a good OC/DC doesn’t automatically mean you have all those qualities. Just because you are good at one job doesn’t mean you will be great at the next level.
of course not - but the fact remains that the vast majority of highly successful head coaches were at one time successful coordinators or head coaches elsewhere

all those qualities you list are also important as a coordinator and a position coach

I said in my original post that this doesn't mean MJ wouldn't be successful - but would certainly be a path less taken

Dabo is a great example but clearly an outlier - Dabo also went 6-2 as an interim

Then you have no knowledge of what it takes to win in college football. For every successful CEO type coach(Dabo) there are far more coaches that are heavily invested with an expertise on one side of the ball or the other. Mickey was an expert in getting Orgeron fired. He is not HC material and it will be the continued death of Nebraska football if he is given the job longterm.
I don't believe Mickey had anything to do with Orgeron getting fired. LSU lost a large part of the roster to the NFL after that national championship. There were some pretty bad internal problems with Ed's leadership that caused him to get fired. Ed hit the jackpot with Burrow.

T
of course not - but the fact remains that the vast majority of highly successful head coaches were at one time successful coordinators or head coaches elsewhere

I said in my original post that this doesn't mean MJ wouldn't be successful - but woud certainly be a path less taken

Dabo is a great example but clearly an outlier - Dabo also went 6-2 as an interi
Some of the best young coaches in the NFL right now are guys who had a coordinator title in name only. Several of them were OCs but never actually called plays, their head coach did. I'm not buying that you have to have been a coordinator to be a great head coach. It's a plus but not a prerequisite. Hire smart guys.

of the current top 25 teams:

only one (Clemson) has a head coach who wasn't previously a successful coordinator and/or previous successful head coach

that's 1/25 vs 24/25

as I said it doesn't mean Mickey wouldn't be successful. -- just wouldn't be the traditional route

Last edited:
Reactions: huntered
Look at like this: draw a circle around all elite OC/DC and another circle around elite HC. I don’t believe the HC circle lies 100% in the OC/DC circle. You want find the guys in that intersection, and yes, many of them will also be elite OC/DC.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Look at like this: draw a circle around all elite OC/DC and another circle around elite HC. I don’t believe the HC circle lies 100% in the OC/DC circle. You want find the guys in that intersection, and yes, many of them will also be elite OC/DC.
yes the list of current successful college head coaches who were coordinators or prior successful head coaches is far, far longer than successful head coaches without either one of those traits

nothing would make me happier than to see Nebraska succeed with MJ - it would just be an outlier hire

Last edited:
And everyone also thought Lincoln Riley and Ryan Day were too, and they are both great Head Coaches. Nick Saban had the top defense in the NFL during his last year as an NFL coordinator. Josh Heupel was a great OC and now has turned around Tennessee.

Joseph on the other hand was a failed Associate HC at LSU and a position coach. If you want Mickey Joseph to be the HC, you 100% deserve to have your fandom questioned. Not even Iowa trolls are stupid enough to suggest something so laughably detrimental to the future of Nebraska football.
Please share your expert views on the details of Mickey’s getting Ed fired. Thanks

I totally agree with this. I'm more concerned about leadership qualities. MJ appears to coach "old school" toughness and also has the ability to connect with the modern day athlete. The kids seem to love the guy. He seems to be an elite recruiter. So far you can't really question his work ethic or character. If a guy like Mickey can hire outstanding coordinators then we'd really have something.

I too value extensive coaching experience but you can't deny MJ checks a lot of boxes. I'm not totally sold on him but let's just watch how the next few weeks unfold.

An elite DC or OC already has a better resume than Mickey who was a position coach and then a failed Associate Head Coach at LSU. Jim Knowles wouldn't be my first choice, but he would be a better hire than Mickey.

Failed at LSU? That is an interesting take, considering he had the best WR core in history and won a National Championship with one of the best teams in modern history.

L

Lmao this post just proves how wrong or Ill Informed you are. This single post put you in illegitimate and border line troll territory.

Reactions: tjlSker90

Does Trev know you feel this way? This would be good for him to understand what you want out of the hire.

mc brother, dc

Reactions: Huskerfan2112

He hasn't proven anything yet other than he can beat some of the bottom teams in our conference.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi

Yes! Just look how good #scofro had the offense running, and how great Blo’s teams played the run against any team with a pulse. This is the way

Reactions: ADV1
Yes! Just look how good #scofro had the offense running, and how great Blo’s teams played the run against any team with a pulse. This is the way
Every single candidate on everyone’s wish list is a prior coordinator, head coach or both

every single coach except Dabo in the college top 25 was either a prior coordinator or head coach or both

Every single candidate on everyone’s wish list is a prior coordinator, head coach or both

every single coach except Dabo in the college top 25 was either a prior coordinator or head coach or both

Neither Shane Beamer or Sam Pitman were coordinators or D1 Head Coaches before getting their current jobs. I don’t really see how being a coordinator prepares one to be a head coach. I get the desire to have someone with experience running a program. But why would being an X’s and O’s expert on one side of the ball be a prerequisite?

Neither Shane Beamer or Sam Pitman were coordinators or D1 Head Coaches before getting their current jobs.
thank you -- will be interested in the trajectory of their careers, how they finish in their conferences and if they are on the wish lists of other major programs

Reactions: headcard
Neither Shane Beamer or Sam Pitman were coordinators or D1 Head Coaches before getting their current jobs. I don’t really see how being a coordinator prepares one to be a head coach. I get the desire to have someone with experience running a program. But why would being an X’s and O’s expert on one side of the ball be a prerequisite?
i think the responsibilities of a coordinator are greater than a position coach

the chain of command is

position coaches --> coordinator --> head coach

the coordinator is the head coach of their side of the ball -- with even more responsibility if the head coach's experience is on the opposite side of the ball

Reactions: headcard
yes the list of current successful college head coaches who were coordinators or prior successful head coaches is far, far longer than successful head coaches without either one of those traits

nothing would make me happier than to see Nebraska succeed with MJ - it would just be an outlier hire
The flip side of the argument is to ask how many guys were hired as D1 head coaches without previously having been a coordinator. I would bet the number is very small. Sooooo it might be that the success rate of a position coach might be just as high as a coordinator.

I'll go along with the thread title, the surest way to attract an elite coordinator is to pay them an elite salary. This is often much more than just an average or even good salary. There's coordinators out there we could pay 2 or 3 million a year and would be worth every penny. There's average coordinators not worth a quarter of that amount. LSU, Alabama, Clemson, those programs are able to assemble elite staffs because they're willing to pay the money that's required. Until we do the same, we're going to be a middling program at best.

An elite DC or OC already has a better resume than Mickey who was a position coach and then a failed Associate Head Coach at LSU.
how does one "fail" at assistant head coach in your opinion? the added responsibilities are mostly related to recruiting, and LSU had the #3 and #4 recruiting classes after MJ was named AHC
Jim Knowles wouldn't be my first choice, but he would be a better hire than Mickey.
let's look at the facts:

Record as Head CoachWinning %
Jim Knowles24-360.433
Mickey Joseph15-90.625

That guy at Clemson was just a War coach too. You know Dabo

mandalorian-this-is-the-way.gif

I just want someone who is elite at Defense period. HC or Cood I don't really care.

Much of the success is going to be recruiting. Really good coaches coach really good players. You mention Ryan Day. Perfect example he is a good coach with elite talent.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT