ADVERTISEMENT

the sobering reality of these coaching changes

glaciersx

Walk On
Oct 4, 2021
In the past 48 hours, we've seen two midwest blue bloods on the playoff bubble lose their head coaches to teams hovering around .500, whose only advantage is their recruiting base.

this feels like a statement of "no matter how loyal you think your coach is because you're a blue blood having success, you're still going to get your lunch money stolen when a team with sunny weather comes calling."

Frost has to work out, because any high-caliber coach that didn't graduate from here will likely treat us like the stepping stone we've become.

You’ll get lots of hate for using the “native son” argument, but you’re right.

Some people want a Nebraskan as coach because they think it’s important to have the cultural fit. I don’t agree. But if you want a coach that won’t leave the second he gets a better offer, you probably need someone with Nebraska roots… or at least Midwest roots.

And yes, for anyone bringing up Devaney as a counterpoint… Wyoming counts.

You’ll get lots of hate for using the “native son” argument, but you’re right.

Some people want a Nebraskan as coach because they think it’s important to have the cultural fit. I don’t agree. But if you want a coach that won’t leave the second he gets a better offer, you probably need someone with Nebraska roots… or at least Midwest roots.

And yes, for anyone bringing up Devaney as a counterpoint… Wyoming counts.
personally, i hate the native son thing. its such a boomer take when people play the "we need someone who understands Nebraska and its culture" as if Nebraska is the only state that takes pride in their college football program.

the sad reality is that's all we get to choose from.

Riley does not want to face the SEC every week, cowards way out, he gets to pick his patsies now.
Kelly, wore out his welcome. I think the boosters are getting antsy.

tOSU, UM, will always be a destination job and they are in the heart of the Midwest. The B1G leads the nation in NIL money and that will hold true for a long time.

What you are seeing is the money that now dominates the college game. If you don't produce on the field, you are not putting butts in the seats to sell concessions and merchandise, you are not improving enrollment to the mind altering institutions of higher and weaker education. W's fulfill this requirement, and anything less that 8-9 per year for 2 or more seasons will send you to the gallows for execution. This is todays and tomorrows college football.

The Transfer Portal will have a more devastating impact on coaches in the near future...

The new normal is that you don't hire a coach, you rent him and hope for the best. Players, coaches, everyone is mobile and ready to jump to a greener pasture at the drop of a hat.

So many of these coaches seem to be more about self-preservation than they do about winning championships.

personally, i hate the native son thing. its such a boomer take when people play the "we need someone who understands Nebraska and its culture" as if Nebraska is the only state that takes pride in their college football program.

the sad reality is that's all we get to choose from.
Two coaches we had that didn’t understand the culture where Bill Callahan and Mike Riley..

Kelly going to LSU was more of a shocker than OU Riley leaving for USC..
As much as I thought we should part ways with SF and I can see now that TA had a lot of competition finding the right fit and this wasn’t the year to land that Coach..

In the past 48 hours, we've seen two midwest blue bloods on the playoff bubble lose their head coaches to teams hovering around .500, whose only advantage is their recruiting base.

this feels like a statement of "no matter how loyal you think your coach is because you're a blue blood having success, you're still going to get your lunch money stolen when a team with sunny weather comes calling."

Frost has to work out, because any high-caliber coach that didn't graduate from here will likely treat us like the stepping stone we've become.
Better to be stepping stone and win than a permanent bottom dweller just because a coach doesn't want to leave. How stupid is it to retain a losing coach simply because he doesn't want to leave. No shit, where else will he go?

have some In the past 48 hours, we've seen two midwest blue bloods on the playoff bubble lose their head coaches to teams hovering around .500, whose only advantage is their recruiting base.

I don't really consider UT-Norman to be midwest. UT and OU are going to have some regrets about joining the meat grinder.
We haven't had a coach leave here that another P5 programs wants in about 25 years.
We've got work to do to become a stepping stone.

3-8 pass happy/gay nebraska fan serves a valuable purpose,
it helps everyone reflect on what not to be in life.

this way when we go back to actual NU football, running the ball
we should get a generation of greatness again..

till of course people go astray with the pass happy way again

One… the has to work out idea is stupid. Pull your head out of your ass OP.

Two… we can only freakin pray we have a coach that is good enough to be poached. I’ll take that any day, all day compared to the current shitshow.

It is the new reality. Both Riley and Kelly looked in the mirror and admitted, "I am never going to win a Natty here." And that being the case, what can we realistically hope for in Nebraska?

Reactions: glaciersx
It is the new reality. Both Riley and Kelly looked in the mirror and admitted, "I am never going to win a Natty here." And that being the case, what can we realistically hope for in Nebraska?
We crank up the Bruce Springsteen I think, and pour another drink

I've seen two schools that have identified there top choices and haven't let money stand in the way of prying them away. Granted LSU didn't get the top guy on their list but they still got Kelly and I think that's a great get as your second choice. It's about money, resources and ability make the playoff for these coaches, always has been and always will be.

I'm not going to pretend that Nebraska will get one of the biggest names in coaching to come here with where we're at, but I think that is more because to get one of those coaches you need to commit about $10 million/yr for decade. The best type of coach I think that is realistic for Nebraska to ultimately get will be the up and coming G5 coach like Frost was or a guy laid off from a big time school that and reinvents himself for a year or so elsewhere. That can work out and many times is the best option but as we've seen it's also a different level of coaching that not everyone can adjust to.

Laugh if you want…this is ABSOLUTELY true

Reactions: pharvey0829
Coaching changes? Whatever. The dude should have been fired and will be fired a year from now. The whole thing has become a joke. Native son? Screw him. He is 1-6 as a head coach. Am I missing something? Is he going to figure it out in year 5? Give me a break. The cocky idiot is a laughingstock across the nation, with the exception of the dipshits in this state who are still trying to bring back the good old days.

You got to win for others to want you. Nebraska isnt a stepping stone program, but that would be better than what we are now. It would be great to be a winning program where other blue blood programs were trying to steal our coach. Frost has next year to show us he can be a winner. Otherwise time to move on

so... we've got 10 days until national signing day

a lot of shots need to start falling this week

unless of course you like the circus..

Coaching changes? Whatever. The dude should have been fired and will be fired a year from now. The whole thing has become a joke. Native son? Screw him. He is 1-6 as a head coach. Am I missing something? Is he going to figure it out in year 5? Give me a break. The cocky idiot is a laughingstock across the nation, with the exception of the dipshits in this state who are still trying to bring back the good old days.
I was very upset at Trev’s decision - until it became clear what is happening. Trev is running the show like Barry Alverez runs Wisconsin. Trev fired the group of ragtag assistants that most needed it. He will bring in some of the first top P5 assistants to step on campus since Frost arrived.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT