ADVERTISEMENT

The Sellout Streak

The sell out streak is as legitimate as any non-AP, UPI, Coaches Poll or CFP National Championship. I don’t ever brag about Nebraska’s sell out streak and I laugh at fans who brag about non-AP, UPI, Coaches Poll or CFP National Championships. :)

Reactions: scarletred
Myself, I don’t see things being that bad 6 months later. We will see how the next few months go and if it gets really bad or if things start calming down. But a lot can happening in 5 to 6 months.

And there’s always some that claim this streak is BS and some that claim it’s legit. Myself, if the tickets are sold out and you can NOT buy them, Then it’s SOLD OUT, end of story. If some fans don’t show up (for what ever reason), all that means is the stadium wasn’t at maxed capacity. That has nothing to do with tickets sold or not sold. Selling out means all tickets are bought and paid for and you can’t buy any from the University. And it makes no dam difference who bought them and how many they bought. Again, if all tickets are gone, it’s indeed, sold out.

Myself, I don’t see things being that bad 6 months later. We will see how the next few months go and if it gets really bad or if things start calming down. But a lot can happening in 5 to 6 months.

And there’s always some that claim this streak is BS and some that claim it’s legit. Myself, if the tickets are sold out and you can NOT buy them, Then it’s SOLD OUT, end of story. If some fans don’t show up (for what ever reason), all that means is the stadium wasn’t at maxed capacity. That has nothing to do with tickets sold or not sold. Selling out means all tickets are bought and paid for and you can’t buy any from the University. And it makes no dam difference who bought them and how many they bought. Again, if all tickets are gone, it’s indeed, sold out.
This. ^^^^
I don't get why some don't understand this simple fact.
But..... the streak will end this Fall. The product on the field will only be mildly better than last year, but not enough to justify risking infection in what will be an ongoing Corona virus situation.

I believe it’s a debate about how the sell streak is interpreted. The streak is marketed as a reflection of dedication and passion. This belief is diluted by the fact that tickets are not designated exclusively to fans.

3tmy4l.gif

No, it's not a fans-only streak. The AD has had friendly supporters willing to buy up the seats to keep the streak going. But if it were so easy to have boosters/corporations buy up all the seats, every school would do it.

Everyone wants to sell every ticket. Especially when they're a school with a 90,000+ seats to fill. If other schools could keep taping into their booster base to sell out all of their games, they would in a heartbeat.

Even #2 Notre Dame had to give up their streak last year. After 273 games (100 short of Nebraska at the time). In an 80,795-seat stadium. Capacity at Notre Dame Stadium was 59,075 until a major expansion in 1997.

What did them in? A glut of home games in November against "non-marquee" teams. Those teams? Virginia Tech, Navy and Boston College. So their streak, which started in the mid-'70s, went out with a whimper after 4+ decades because their fans/boosters couldn't handle their November home schedule. During an 11-2 season!

The sellout streak may not be pristine enough to please the purists, but NU's blows the pants off of anyone. Despite not being nationally relevant in a long time. And still... the stadium is full for every game. Imagine if we were winning like the Domers in recent years.

That speaks volumes about our fans and Nebraska football in general. No one else comes close. And yet we continue to lap the field despite our recent slide. People act like it doesn't count because we're the only one doing it. I'd say being the only one that can do it makes NU special.

Last edited:
It’s absolutely hilarious how much the sellout streak triggers the aholes to the East. RollingLaughWe recognize it for what it is and it’s generally the national media that makes a big deal out of it not Nebraska fans. Little bro gonna little bro I guess. Thoughts? @SWIowahawks

I believe it’s a debate about how the sell streak is interpreted. The streak is marketed as a reflection of dedication and passion. This belief is diluted by the fact that tickets are not designated exclusively to fans.

it’s actually NOT a debate and even the NCAA recognizes it. Simply put, like I said above, if all tickets are bought and paid for from the university, then indeed the tickets are sold out. Doesn’t matter who and how many tickets are bought or how little. If the university sales every single ticket, it goes down as sold out regardless of some fans showing up or not. That’s maxed capacity and maxed capacity or lack there of has nothing to do with tickets SOLD per university.

myself, I don’t care if we have the streak or not. But seeing so many struggling with the true meaning of sale out is just hilarious. Sale out and maxed capacity are two different things.

Is there any possible way to gut the place section by section and put in actual seats?
Yes. There's a way. Whether it's feasible or politically correct is another thing.

There could be a lot of " take the other guys seat away but don't affect mine" wishful thinking.

I have not measured them, but I swear my seats in the 600 sections are roomier than mine in west stadium

No, it's not a fans-only streak. The AD has had friendly supporters willing to buy up the seats to keep the streak going. But if it were so easy to have boosters/corporations buy up all the seats, every school would do it.

Everyone wants to sell every ticket. Especially when they're a school with a 90,000+ seats to fill. If other schools could keep taping into their booster base to sell out all of their games, they would in a heartbeat.

Even #2 Notre Dame had to give up their streak last year. After 273 games (100 short of Nebraska at the time). In an 80,795-seat stadium. Capacity at Notre Dame Stadium was 59,075 until a major expansion in 1997.

What did them in? A glut of home games in November against "non-marquee" teams. Those teams? Virginia Tech, Navy and Boston College. So their streak, which started in the mid-'70s, went out with a whimper after 4+ decades because their fans/boosters couldn't handle their November home schedule. During an 11-2 season!

The sellout streak may not be pristine enough to please the purists, but NU's blows the pants off of anyone. Despite not being nationally relevant in a long time. And still... the stadium is full for every game. Imagine if we were winning like the Domers in recent years.

That speaks volumes about our fans and Nebraska football in general. No one else comes close. And yet we continue to lap the field despite our recent slide. People act like it doesn't count because we're the only one doing it. I'd say being the only one that can do it makes NU special.

Yeah, that’s not what happened.

ND, like NU, had tickets bought out by boosters over the years. ND made the decision that they no longer were counting that as a sellout. It was a huge debate because other teams, including Nebraska, count those towards sellouts, but ND decided to no longer do so.
ND’s sellout steak that started in the 70’s actually started way before that. But it was broken when ND moved a game to when no students were on campus, thus the majority of the 8,000 student seats were empty.

Yes. There's a way. Whether it's feasible or politically correct is another thing.

There could be a lot of " take the other guys seat away but don't affect mine" wishful thinking.

I have not measured them, but I swear my seats in the 600 sections are roomier than mine in west stadium

I live in KC and do not make it to many games due to work etc...

I do try to go to one football game and volleyball match on the same day each season. I will only buy seats on the east side in the 100 or 600 sections because the seats are “definitely” wider. If I sit anywhere else in the stadium I rent a chair back to “establish” my seat in the row. I do not need to do that in the 100 or 600 levels. That $5 savings helps me grab some Runza on the way back home. Winking

Reactions: huskerfan66
I live in KC and do not make it to many games due to work etc...

I do try to go to one football game and volleyball match on the same day each season. I will only buy seats on the east side in the 100 or 600 sections because the seats are “definitely” wider. If I sit anywhere else in the stadium I rent a chair back to “establish” my seat in the row. I do not need to do that in the 100 or 600 levels. That $5 savings helps me grab some Runza on the way back home. Winking
Hear everything you're saying. That's what I do too in west stadium. Establish your space. Worth the rental.

Reactions: dinglefritz

ND, like NU, had tickets bought out by boosters over the years. ND made the decision that they no longer were counting that as a sellout. It was a huge debate because other teams, including Nebraska, count those towards sellouts, but ND decided to no longer do so.
ND’s sellout steak that started in the 70’s actually started way before that. But it was broken when ND moved a game to when no students were on campus, thus the majority of the 8,000 student seats were empty.
Pity.

Hmm. Not sure what went down. But at DONU, student tickets are sold for the season. The rest are season tickets sold in advance except for what visiting team allotment is. They may turn some back and they go on sale. I don't know if those actually count but should because BIG dictates how many we need to allocate to conference teams

How funny would it be if the NCAA ruled to play football in empty stadiums. Then fans and boosters came together and decided to purchase tickets to every game knowing they wouldn’t be able to go into the stadium but did so just to keep the streak going. Could you imagine how butt hurt that would make some people? I think it would be hilarious and all the Karen’s would be in uproar

How funny would it be if the NCAA ruled to play football in empty stadiums. Then fans and boosters came together and decided to purchase tickets to every game knowing they wouldn’t be able to go into the stadium but did so just to keep the streak going. Could you imagine how butt hurt that would make some people? I think it would be hilarious and all the Karen’s would be in uproar
IMO it technically is a sellout. IF athletic department chooses to refund me great. But they already have my money for tickets

How noble. Funny that ND was okay letting boosters buy up tickets in mass for 4+ decades (and for even longer, according to you) before suddenly developing a guilty conscious about streak impurity.

Unfortunately, it's a little late for that spin to be convincing since your AD freely admitted that the streak just plain ended and ND couldn't do anything to stop it. If anything, Swarbrick was refreshingly transparent about the situation.

“Based on ticket sales through Wednesday, we do not anticipate sellouts for our games against Navy and Boston College. That this comes during a time of sustained success for our football program reflects both challenges impacting the ticket market nationwide and the unique dynamics of this year’s schedule,” Swarbrick said.

In an interview with the South Bend Tribune, Swarbrick admitted that the school has sometimes had to get creative to keep the streak alive. There were tickets with large discounts. There were “friends of Notre Dame” who would buy large blocks of tickets.

But this year’s cluster of underwhelming home games — Virginia Tech, Navy and Boston College in a span of four weeks — proved to be too much to overcome.

“When we’d have one game, we could clearly focus on it,” Swarbrick said. “This is a circumstance, where you’ve got games in consecutive weeks in mid to late November, and so you don’t have some of the same strategies available to you.

And because of the number of our fans that travel (a great) distance to the stadium, its just a challenge for us. It’s endemic to that schedule. And we knew it a year and a half ago, as we were looking forward, that you know what, that might be the time where the streak ends.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/notre-dames-sellout-streak-expected-to-end-after-36-years-185557389.html

Last edited:

That already happened...... season tickets are already paid for for the 2020 season.

Our creativity with the sellout streak is more legit than 90% of the shit that happens in the SEC so I don't know why people get all worked up about it. We care enough to have boosters legitimately buy excess tickets. They care enough in the SEC to buy cars yet no one takes their titles away. I also believe that often the boosters are buying the away allotment when it's not filled. It's not like their buying chunks in east stadium.

true and agree if the tickets are all sold and non available then it is indeed sold out
but the fact that they are sold for ' pennies ' makes it sort yes, like someone said , the tooth fairy

sort of like the steroid deal .those that have fessed up . Giambi, Arod, some of the husker football players ,seem to get more love than those that are known to have done them and wont confess.

like all the stuff going on in the world today..we don't have a clue who .and what to believe anymore in the media world

wouldn't it be nice if we all knew ALL the truths

I also find it strange that Nick Saban is applauded for exploiting loopholes but when we use it for the sellout streak then somehow we aren't legit. Very odd.

I know of a couple of donor corporations that have purchased tickets in the past to keep the sell out going. They paid face value for the tickets. It is not like there have ever been thousands of tickets available or having to be sold to keep the sell out in tact.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Until they allow fans in the stadiums, would the sell out streak be in jeopardy if they have games..

First, if they don't let fans in, that doesn't affect the sell out streak. You can't say there were tickets unsold when they weren't available in the first place.

As for the sellout streak being fake, can someone show me any photo from 1962 and beyond where the start of a game has empty seats (except the student section, which has sometimes had a few at the top). I've been to all but 4 home games in the past 35 years and haven't seen any pockets of empty seats. Yes, there are some occasional no-shows but the stadium has always looked anywhere from full to overcrowded.

This. ^^^^
I don't get why some don't understand this simple fact.
But..... the streak will end this Fall. The product on the field will only be mildly better than last year, but not enough to justify risking infection in what will be an ongoing Corona virus situation.
I think they will sell out as many tickets as they allow to be sold this fall. People are tired of being told to stay home and frankly 90% of the population has a higher risk of being run over by a car on O street than dying from the CV picked up at a Husker game. This thing is rapidly trending in the direction of things being wide open by September 1st. The Worldometer website predicts our number of fatal cases to have trended to negligible numbers by August 1st.

I'm curious as to why some feel this way? What does it hurt having this sell out streak that you would like to see it go?
It doesn't necessarily hurt anything, but here is the reasoning, and I do flip flop between these two ideas.

Idea 1, Continue to demand excellence, and the way it used to be done, (which by the way, no coach, except maybe Bo, has tried to sort of use Tom Osbornes old formula). I don't think Tim Beck or Shawn Watson truly wanted a running offense. The thinking is, look, There is a clue on how it used to be done here. It's actually maddening to see Wisconsin basically use our old formula with success year after year.

Idea 2. Completely punt. Flush all the old stuff down the drain. We already flushed the old conferences (big 8 and 12) and flushed all our history, many records fell the past 20 years under Callahan and more. No more consecutive bowl game record, and I don't know how many stats and internal records we had, but most of those things have disappeared. The sellout record isn't very real either. It's manufactured, but it is the very last little thing we can hold on to the past with as fans.

So just get rid of it, accept mediocrity, and somehow hope that removed expectations will allow the program to regrow new roots.

I'm not on Idea #2 as often as I cling to idea #1, but I was when I posted that.

I honestly believe any coach with half a brain, can go back to Tom's formula and make it work, it just seems none of them are actually willing to do that.

Maybe the new Offensive Coordinator will help Scott actually see things with a fresh set of eyes, but if it's going to be the same garbage, then I will be more than happy to get a coach in here that wants to follow the formula.

If it's better to do Idea 2, then I'll prob just find something else to do with my time quite honestly. Maybe that will work someday for another generation.

I still don't see what the sell out streak has to do with anything in your post
The people who cling to sell out streaks are clinging to the past.

In order to move forward, maybe we as fans should quit clinging to the past too.

If you guys can't see this or understand, I don't know how I could make it clearer. Maybe someone else can explain it better, but it should be self evident.

In order to move forward, maybe we as fans should quit clinging to the past too.

If you guys can't see this or understand, I don't know how I could make it clearer. Maybe someone else can explain it better, but it should be self evident.

I don't see the sell out streak as clinging to the past. I think it can help us now and in the future. It plays well in the national media and to recruits. Nothing bad about it at all.

I think they will sell out as many tickets as they allow to be sold this fall. People are tired of being told to stay home and frankly 90% of the population has a higher risk of being run over by a car on O street than dying from the CV picked up at a Husker game. This thing is rapidly trending in the direction of things being wide open by September 1st. The Worldometer website predicts our number of fatal cases to have trended to negligible numbers by August 1st.
I hope you are right! I have tickets to the Purdue game. And, if the gates are open, I will be there.

I completely disagree. The fact is that the rabid fan support that NU still enjoys is our biggest asset going forward. Our glory days are long past. We have had 20 years of up and down mediocrity. Our facilities (right now) are middle of the road or lower. And even though Frost has brought in a lot of talent, we are still deficient in certain areas and will need time to build. In the interim, we need the publicity our fan support brings. Every recruit in America knows that if you come to NU, you will be playing in front of a sold out crowd every week. The sellout string has been "propped up" by donors buying tickets and I don't give a shit. Sold out means sold out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT