ADVERTISEMENT

The Secret Sauce to Competing in the B1G ...

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
It's NO great revelation whatsoever although apparently Nebraska coaches can't seem to figure it out which is what makes the situation in Lincoln so frustrating. The secret sauce simply is concentrating your efforts FIRST on developing the OL and the DL. We need to hire a head coach that has demonstrated he knows how to do that. Clearly Bielema learned that from his previous stint in the B1G and it enabled him to turn Illinois around in short order almost upsetting Michigan today which of course blew out Nebraska the week before.

Yes, line play is essential, in every conference on earth, including ours. But there is no secret sauce to winning in the B1G. There is nothing different or special about this conference. We don't have to play like Iowa and Wisconsin to beat them. We just have to hire a competent coaching staff.

Yes, line play is essential, in every conference on earth, including ours. But there is no secret sauce to winning in the B1G. There is nothing different or special about this conference. We don't have to play like Iowa and Wisconsin to beat them. We just have to hire a competent coaching staff.
Well that's what Frost thought: he could do it his way and the B1G would have to adjust to him. His way worked well elsewhere at Oregon and UCF but obviously not week after week in the B1G.

Well that's what Frost thought: he could do it his way and the B1G would have to adjust to him. His way worked well elsewhere at Oregon and UCF but obviously not week after week in the B1G.

Frost wasn't a competent coach with a competent staff. He also didn't stick with what he did at UCF and Oregon, he tried to become a B1G team. Changed schemes, started playing slow on offense, etc. Do you honestly think teams like Minnesota and Illinois are special, that you have to play a certain way to beat them? And why was Bo able to have the exact same success in the mighty B1G in had in the Big 12, playing the same kind of football?

Frost wasn't a competent coach with a competent staff. He also didn't stick with what he did at UCF and Oregon, he tried to become a B1G team. Changed schemes, started playing slow on offense, etc. Do you honestly think teams like Minnesota and Illinois are special, that you have to play a certain way to beat them? And why was Bo able to have the exact same success in the mighty B1G in had in the Big 12, playing the same kind of football?
Is it wrong to miss Bo sometimes? 😕

I don't think those two teams you mention are "special" by any means but clearly they're much more successful than Nebraska who arguably has access to better resources than they do. BUT what makes them more successful than Nebraska IMO is that their coaches knew it takes emphasis on the OL and DL as the entry fee into the B1G competition, more so than in other conferences and they started there. Frost failed IMO because he thought his flashy offense was going to revolutionize the B1G. When that didn't work as well as he thought it would, he was in panic mode and too late to the party in developing the OL and DL in order to save himself. Bad judgment on Frost's part, probably because he had no prior experience coaching in the B1G.

And why was Bo able to have the exact same success in the mighty B1G in had in the Big 12, playing the same kind of football?

Bo didn't get blown out in the Big 12 (other than his first year against OU), but regularly got destroyed by in the Big Ten, especially by Wisconsin and Ohio State. These were some of his Big Ten losses:

31-70
38-63
24-59
17-45
17-48
17-38

Last edited:
Reactions: SWIowahawks
I don't think those two teams you mention are "special" by any means but clearly they're much more successful than Nebraska who arguably has access to better resources than they do. BUT what makes them more successful than Nebraska IMO is that their coaches knew it takes emphasis on the OL and DL as the entry fee into the B1G competition, more so than in other conferences and they started there. Frost failed IMO because he thought his flashy offense was going to revolutionize the B1G. When that didn't work as well as he thought it would, he was in panic mode and too late to the party in developing the OL and DL in order to save himself. Bad judgment on Frost's part, probably because he had no prior experience coaching in the B1G.

Really? Is that why Bert got completely boat raced in the SEC?

Reactions: IowaTaterHead
We’ll definitely need an O-line! We haven’t had one of those in 5 years! We’ve had plenty of incompetent, dancing bears, Pillsbury dough boys, where did he go George? type’s masquerading as O-line around here.

Reactions: BigRedTed
It's NO great revelation whatsoever although apparently Nebraska coaches can't seem to figure it out which is what makes the situation in Lincoln so frustrating. The secret sauce simply is concentrating your efforts FIRST on developing the OL and the DL. We need to hire a head coach that has demonstrated he knows how to do that. Clearly Bielema learned that from his previous stint in the B1G and it enabled him to turn Illinois around in short order almost upsetting Michigan today which of course blew out Nebraska the week before.
This is true, and it has been for about 10 years. I remember the game against Wisconsin several years ago when Taylor Martinez was quarterback. The Wisconsin lines were bigger and more powerful and they did whatever they wanted against us. It is a sick feeling when you know you're going to be pushed around the whole game and your opponent exerts their will on you.

Since then we have developed very few good lineman, where as it used to be a position of pride on this team.

I don't like fat bert, but he has the right idea. If he starts upgrading his offensive skill players, they will be tough to beat.

The secret sauce is to go back to an Osborne scheme option based offense with a running quarterback. College football needs a paradigm sift away from the RPO. We need to get back to our I back formation with a good fullback and a nasty OL. Plus hire a defensive minded head coach like Pelini. At least he can get us back to at least 9 win seasons. We're a laughing stock of college football right now and need to do things differently to right the ship.

The secret sauce is to go back to an Osborne scheme option based offense with a running quarterback. College football needs a paradigm sift away from the RPO. We need to get back to our I back formation with a good fullback and a nasty OL. Plus hire a defensive minded head coach like Pelini. At least he can get us back to at least 9 win seasons. We're a laughing stock of college football right now and need to do things differently to right the ship.
Nebraska is so irrelevant people don’t even laugh anymore

Name one defensive line of merit he faced in those years... he did not have to play call against competent defenses, EVER!
So you think the Illinois performance against Michigan was a fluke? Michigan, a team that sadly blew us out the week before? I'm saying Illinois in one year is better than Nebraska under Frost in several years of his "building" plan.

I'm not saying Illinois is a world beater but Illinois in its first year under Beilema is an impressive first year turnaround. And I believe that's due in large part to Beilema knowing what it takes to compete in the B1G. Now I don't think Illinois is going to be winning B1G championships because it will never compete with Michigan and Ohio State for athletes or come close in fan support but I think it is going to be much more competitive than its been.

Reactions: scarletred
Oh my god, this conference is horrible. The only thing keeping NU down is NU.
There is literally nothing to worry about. Bo did well here with friends and golf coaches on staff.
Agreed - the offenses of the Big 10 West are so anemic, that this horrible NU team has been able to stay within one score of every single one of them except Illinois.

There isn't a head coach in football who doesn't understand how important winning in the trenches is & developing linemen to do so, Frost included. For some reason NU has failed at recruiting enough upper tier linemen to compete in the Big10. Time will tell if the next HC can.

The big 10 west is stuck in a time warp in the 1960’s all they care about is their freaking trophy games, they don’t think big like national championships and they will never change, Wisconsin fired chryst for Jim leonard for what reason? They won’t change anything , the only time Wisconsin changed was when they hired Gary Anderson and Barry didn’t like him so he was gone after one season. Yes we need a really good coaches and better lineman on both side but we don’t have to be identical on offense to these schools

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
Just my opinion, but I think both OSU and UM were looking ahead... And if Im not mistaken both lost their top runningback???... I like what Beilema has done with his group but he also dropped his last two games to an average Purdue team and a bad MSU team... I do agree with the main premise that we need better development in the trenches....

There isn't a head coach in football who doesn't understand how important winning in the trenches is & developing linemen to do so, Frost included. For some reason NU has failed at recruiting enough upper tier linemen to compete in the Big10. Time will tell if the next HC can.
And yet where is Nebraska? Obviously if Frost thought it was more important than just giving it lip service then he failed miserably at knowing how to do it.

You are correct RedCap, we have way to many Nebraska fans that still feel we should play like we did when in the BIG12 and not adjust to the physical nature that is the BIG. Another thing that many should try and understand is that we should stop trying to be OSU west we need to get the right players who are hard nosed and determined.

We have a very soft OL as most know and we need a great strength and conditioning coach who knows what he's doing to come in and go to work quickly. I can say the same of our DL to a certain extent, we need upgrades across the board or it will be more of the same each year.

It's time to burn the old chicken coop down and build one the right way, it's time for some fans to get rid of their entitled way of thinking when it comes to Nebraska football. We are who we are right now and it's going to take time to fix it, no overnight fixes are on the horizon unfortunately.

I never thought I would say this but the end of the season can't come quickly enough, this team has taken the joy out of watching college football each Saturday.

Now to the point of who really screwed things up entirely, Scott Andrew Frost was a snake oil salesman who fooled most every fan including Trev Alberts and most likely himself. I think Frost knew his time was up and he gave up and quit most likely as an escape plan.

Frost left never shedding a tear or showing much remorse he should have done the honorable thing and resigned last year.

Taking millions of dollars from your company is a crime of stealing and fraud and technically Frost should be in jail right now unless he gave it all back ;).

The big 10 west is stuck in a time warp in the 1960’s all they care about is their freaking trophy games, they don’t think big like national championships and they will never change, Wisconsin fired chryst for Jim leonard for what reason? They won’t change anything , the only time Wisconsin changed was when they hired Gary Anderson and Barry didn’t like him so he was gone after one season. Yes we need a really good coaches and better lineman on both side but we don’t have to be identical on offense to thes
Announcers said it best about Iowa yesterday. They know who they are and who they’re not. Truth is it’s harder anymore for teams like Iowa and anyone else not named tOSU or Mich or Ped St. To keep up. NIL is going to make it even more difficult to keep up with the elite big market teams.
As a Hawk fan I don’t expect any miracles or delusions of grandeur, cause they aren’t happening. Iowa sends a ton of players to the next level, is always in contention come November, and honestly are the envy of a lot of programs. Kirk Ferentz is respected at the next level and NFL people know he does things the right way and teaches solid fundamentals.
I will say however the Iowa offense is an embarrassment and Brian Ferentz needs to be shown the door.
Bottom line: Nebraska needs to stop barking about past accomplishments and hire someone who will figure out what wins in the B1G. Starts up front as most others who know football will agree on .
All that being said I expect the Hawks to win by 14 next Friday….

Announcers said it best about Iowa yesterday. They know who they are and who they’re not. Truth is it’s harder anymore for teams like Iowa and anyone else not named tOSU or Mich or Ped St. To keep up. NIL is going to make it even more difficult to keep up with the elite big market teams.
As a Hawk fan I don’t expect any miracles or delusions of grandeur, cause they aren’t happening. Iowa sends a ton of players to the next level, is always in contention come November, and honestly are the envy of a lot of programs. Kirk Ferentz is respected at the next level and NFL people know he does things the right way and teaches solid fundamentals.
I will say however the Iowa offense is an embarrassment and Brian Ferentz needs to be shown the door.
Bottom line: Nebraska needs to stop barking about past accomplishments and hire someone who will figure out what wins in the B1G. Starts up front as most others who know football will agree on .
All that being said I expect the Hawks to win by 14 next Friday….
So true and I'd say Nebraska doesn't know who they are and has no clue who they're not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT