ADVERTISEMENT

The Punt Return

This right here!!

Frost or whoever has no business to tell the punter anything except punt it 30 yards straight ahead for me please and don't shank it! This guy has been benched 2wice and the other punter got benched for a 7 YARD PUNT!

These guys have no talent for anything fancy. Just kick it down the middle far as you can dammit! That's on whoever called that play..
This. The punters have no confidence, but you tell one of them to go perform a directional kick??? Idiocy.

I am wondering if since our punter is an Aussie he wasn't clear on left and right. Aren't they opposite South of the equator?
Nickname: “The Blunder from Down Under”

Cerni was also coming off his second injury in his 1 year here. Need to bubble wrap our kickers.

Pretty obvious the Punter was told to Punt the ball to the right. But for some insane reason he decided to Punt it to the left. Pretty much sums up the season in a nutshell. This team should be 5-0 and ranked in the Top 10 but here we are at 2-3.
You'll have to ask him if he "decided". He probably missed. QB's miss passes, receivers drop passes, defenders miss tackles, pitchers can't throw strikes, batters swing and miss, basketball players miss shots, ...

Reactions: WHCSC
In fairness, the punter probably didn't know the difference between right and left.

This should have never happened and the staff needs to point the thumb and not the finger..
They would have to turn their backs to the field in the process. If executed properly, no problem. Kicking to the right side of the field doesn't seem like a huge ask, to me. I was disappointed in the shell we crawled in, offensively, prior to the punt. No need to air it out, but a couple first downs would have been really, really nice.

Reactions: dinglefritz

learn some skills in under 3 minutes and maybe you could kick like this peewee kid who even caught a high snap:

Reactions: donahues17
I’m still confused about this play.

Frost said the punt was supposed to go right yet it went left.

MSU is acting like it was a trick play. One guy said he knew it was going to work after the first two seconds.

Bad punt or great trick play?
It was simple. A bad punt. The ball was on the right hash. They always kick the ball to the right to pin the returner in. And dude decided to shank it 30 yards left to the other returner. Other than MSU faking the fair catch it wasn’t a trick play per day. It was just a terrible kick.

It was simple. A bad punt. The ball was on the right hash. They always kick the ball to the right to pin the returner in. And dude decided to shank it 30 yards left to the other returner. Other than MSU faking the fair catch it wasn’t a trick play per day. It was just a terrible kick.
I didn’t notice that closely but did they have two punt returners on all of our punts Or just the final one?

MSU is acting like it was a trick play. One guy said he knew it was going to work after the first two seconds.

Yes, something doesn’t pass the smell test with this play. I saw some headlines that it was a trick play designed by Ross Els. Why would MSU put their best returner on the opposite side of where they thought the ball would go. Why did “almost” the entire MSU team go right instead of blocking for the returner. I think it was a trick play and MSU duped us into thinking the ball was going right. If that is true the defense is following MSU blockers instead of watching the ball. I think this is a case of such disastrous social teams “coaching” that frost preferred to blame the kicker instead of admitting how badly they were fooled.

But putting Cerni on the field at all was planned. He has never done shit. He is an absolutely wretched punter. Bad players make bad plays. That is what happened here. The punt was supposed to go right. He rolled to his right. My guess is, he tried to kick it to the right. But because he has no talent and has no business being on the field, he mishit the ball with his foot and sent it left. I feel for the kid. But Frost is a brain dead nitwit for having Cerni kicking anything.
Bad players make bad plays. Well said. Can’t coach stupid out of someone.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Cerni blatantly got held on that play as well. Not saying he was going to make the tackle but given his background I suspect he would have if nothing else slowed the guy down. I'm not sure how or why we're giving out scholarships to punters or kickers.
Yep, definite waste of scholarships on these guys! Have to blame the coaching staff though for not doing their recruiting research to find a reliable kicker and punter. They’re too busy trying to dazzle everyone with stupid swing pass plays that go nowhere!

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
In fairness, the punter probably didn't know the difference between right and left.
If he is from down under, is everything reverse? I mean they drive on the other side of the road, winds blow in the opposite direction (Cyclone for example). Maybe if we told him kick to the left then he would have kicked to the right and we would have won the damn game!

Yes he is. Which is also on Frost. Other coaches seem to have no problem finding a decent punter. It clearly has not been a priority for Frost. And it might end up getting him fired
We've been really spoiled with our punters and kickers over the years at NU. Of course many of them have been those dreaded walk ons to start out. The failures of our scholarship holding punters and kickers over the past 5-6 years has been frustrating but it's not unique to Nebraska or even college. Kickers are notoriously unreliable. It's so damned mental.
Yep, definite waste of scholarships on these guys! Have to blame the coaching staff though for not doing their recruiting research to find a reliable kicker and punter. They’re too busy trying to dazzle everyone with stupid swing pass plays that go nowhere!
I'm kind of wondering if it these kids aren't struggling with the pressure and playing in front of large loud crowds. No doubt they were really good in high school or they wouldn't have gotten a scholarship. Scholarships for kickers and punters aren't all that common and IF you get one you really stood out. Pro kickers fall apart too

If he is from down under, is everything reverse? I mean they drive on the other side of the road, winds blow in the opposite direction (Cyclone for example). Maybe if we told him kick to the left then he would have kicked to the right and we would have won the damn game!
LOL. I had the same thought. Maybe the kid can't tell his left from his right.

Boy! All this angst over a punter. What decent team only has punters that shank punts or can’t punt the ball in the right direction? Just sad.
I've seen shanked punts in the NFL and it seemed like it USED to be that every visiting team that came to Lincoln would shank at least one punt per game. Some kids just don't handle the noise and pressure well IMO.

If you arent smart enough to figure out what happened on your own, stop watching football.

Yes, something doesn’t pass the smell test with this play. I saw some headlines that it was a trick play designed by Ross Els. Why would MSU put their best returner on the opposite side of where they thought the ball would go. Why did “almost” the entire MSU team go right instead of blocking for the returner. I think it was a trick play and MSU duped us into thinking the ball was going right. If that is true the defense is following MSU blockers instead of watching the ball. I think this is a case of such disastrous social teams “coaching” that frost preferred to blame the kicker instead of admitting how badly they were fooled.
Ok come on you arent that f'ing stupid. The plan was to kick the ball to the right. Every kick even kickoffs have a plan on where the ball is supposed to go. Your players shouldnt be running down looking up in the f'ing air to see where the ball is at, thats how you get your ass knocked the hell out by a blocker. You are running to an area as fast as you can. Watch any football from high school yo NFL amd watch the players on ST kicks and see if they are looking in the air to see whwrre the ball is at as they are running down the field. The only time they start looming is when they get near the goal line to stop it from going in the endzone.

Holy shit Husker fans are getting dumber every year with Frost as a coach.

They would have to turn their backs to the field in the process. If executed properly, no problem. Kicking to the right side of the field doesn't seem like a huge ask, to me. I was disappointed in the shell we crawled in, offensively, prior to the punt. No need to air it out, but a couple first downs would have been really, really nice.
I'm 63 years old with a left hip replacement and I need my right knee replaced and I COULD PUNT IT 30 YARDS TO THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE FIELD. No problem. These guys all are getting too cute with how they're trying to drop the ball on their foot to put a certain kind of spin on it. Get it 30 yards and to the right and we win the game. Damn.

I agree. I have no idea what type of punt return formation MSU typically deploys, but I doubt they put two return men out there very often. My guess is that their coaches spotted a tendency for our punters to kick the ball to the left, or shank them to the left, so they put the extra return guy over there and masterfully faked our coverage team into thinking the ball was in fact going to the right. And the result was they looked like geniuses and our we looked like idiots.

Reactions: ATLsker
Punting it to the wrong side of the field was not planned
Shanks happen too. The ball doesn't always go the right direction It doesn't always result in nearly the entire coverage team ignoring the flight of the ball.

To the golfers out there: Have any of you ever hit a hook or a slice on your drives? If so, give our punter a break. No one feels as bad as he does and he doesn't get a mulligan.

To the golfers out there: Have any of you ever hit a hook or a slice on your drives? If so, give our punter a break. No one feels as bad as he does and he doesn't get a mulligan.
I actually do hate ragging too hard on the individual players (even if I do a little). They’re young, in high pressure situations, and will make mistakes on occasion.
I think the frustrations boil with the frequency of errors, which really points to coaching.

We spotted Mich St. something like 190 yards of net punting advantage!!!! That’s more than just a mulligan away from getting it right.

But also regarding your analogy (not that it was intended to be overly literal), it’s also a question of scale. A shanked punt of approx 40 yards travelled about 30-40 yards horizontally the wrong direction.
A similar golf drive traveling 300+ yards would have to go 225+ yards sideways. Generally guys who practice golf 5-7 days per week don’t do that and still get scholarships to play D1 college.

I actually do hate ragging too hard on the individual players (even if I do a little). They’re young, in high pressure situations, and will make mistakes on occasion.
I think the frustrations boil with the frequency of errors, which really points to coaching.

We spotted Mich St. something like 190 yards of net punting advantage!!!! That’s more than just a mulligan away from getting it right.

But also regarding your analogy (not that it was intended to be overly literal), it’s also a question of scale. A shanked punt of approx 40 yards travelled about 30-40 yards horizontally the wrong direction.
A similar golf drive traveling 300+ yards would have to go 225+ yards sideways. Generally guys who practice golf 5-7 days per week don’t do that and still get scholarships to play D1 college.
But have you ever shanked a drive?

But have you ever shanked a drive?
Yes- plenty.
Also capable of hitting enough long and straight despite barely playing the game….. and never been offered a scholly for golf.

… and I can also punt a football more than 7 yds likely 100% of the time (but not trying to brag). 😝

That’s funny as there are others not sure what happened either.

You are just butthurt as I come from a different forum.
There is no reason to be butthurt over an idiot Herkie fan. Your QB has to tell you morons to quiet down during games when they are on offense. Those others that cant figure it out on their own need to stop watching football too. Or they need to start asking their wives questions during games about what happened. They are obviously as dumb as you.

I didn’t notice that closely but did they have two punt returners on all of our punts Or just the final one?
FWIW I ran the game back at 2X speed and paused when NU was 4th down. All night MSU had 10 guys on the line for the punt, until the final one when they used double returners. It looked like Cerni caught the ball and intended to kick it to the right side and just hooked it. The Right side returner did a nice job of decoying the where the ball was.

There is no reason to be butthurt over an idiot Herkie fan. Your QB has to tell you morons to quiet down during games when they are on offense. Those others that cant figure it out on their own need to stop watching football too. Or they need to start asking their wives questions during games about what happened. They are obviously as dumb as you.
You know what’s funny, you will certainly appreciate this.

A couple games ago, your offense just took the ball over. One of your offensive linemen was raising his arms up repeatedly to get the crowd louder.

I just shook my head and chuckled.

I remember thinking, what a typical Scott Frost/Nebraska moment.

Pretty obvious the Punter was told to Punt the ball to the right. But for some insane reason he decided to Punt it to the left. Pretty much sums up the season in a nutshell. This team should be 5-0 and ranked in the Top 10 but here we are at 2-3.
Don't the Australian s drive on the wrong side of the road too?? I've always wanted to see if toilets flush the opposite direction

ADVERTISEMENT